Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What is the big deal over Eddie calling Magpie games?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:46 am
Post subject: What is the big deal over Eddie calling Magpie games?Reply with quote

Every week, well almost every week, some one in the press (or on T.V) is moaning because Eddie is President of Collingwood, and Calls games on Channel 9. Not once has he been "biased" during a call, infact, I think he does a very good job calling the games he doesn't make stupid comments. I think Tim Lane wanted the top job on the Channel 9 broadcasting team, because I cannot for the life of me see where the "Conflict of interest" is. Why isn't anyone making comment about Carlton President Ian Collins? With his work at Docklands and stuff? Doesn't that make it a conflict? Sure, Eddie gets excited during a Collingwood game, but what about when Dermott got very excited during a Hawthorn game? (Even though he's not Hawthorn's President, it was offending for him to be barracking while commentating) I'd rather hear Eddie as a Commentator, then Tim Lane (Even if Eddie wasn't apart of Collingwood, he's still that much better then Tim Lane) Atleast that is my opinion. I remember Tim Lane doing some TFL games here in Tasmania, and he sounded like he always had a blocked nose. He still does infact, I'm not dissing Tim Lane, I just don't find him to be a very good comentator. All them years listening to ABC Grandstand (when ABC broadcasted Local games over here) He seemed very distracted during the games.

Although it would be good to see Lou Richards call the games again, he was very good during the time he did them. Although I have only see the repeated games, I still think he would be a good caller for Channel 9.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
black&whitebeliever 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly.. I think Eddie does a great job .. I dont think he's always entirely unbiased , but I don't think you can be .. I think he calls a fair game and he calls it very well . .. much better than some of the dills on channel ten, who have been known to call the wrong player.. get stats wrong etc. Eddie knows his football and loves it . I get tired of hearing the criticism leveled against him.
magpiefanatic 

Aged Pensioner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:08 am

Have to disagree with your comments about Tim Lane. Depite the fact that he is a Carlscum fan, he is without peer as a commentator in both AFL and cricket.

Until this I had listened to the ABC on Saturday arvos and watched the game on TV with the sound off because of the superior commentary. And last year in our fab run through the finals, considering his "hatred" for Collingwood, he was totally unbiased and gave us the credit we deserve.

He has probably made some gaffes on air, but none I have noticed. Despite my admiration for Eddie, Eddie has made some noticable boo boos. The most notable for me was last week against Brisbane when he announced that the game was being telecast live NATIONALLY. Sorry but Channel 9 were not telecasting Live into Sydney and Perth. (Thats another issue, gripe etc etc )

Eddie is always unbiased, maybe even too much so at times, but does tend to barrack when the game is close and exciting. The only time he really went over the top was last year against Port in Round 9. (but then who wasn't getting excited about that one )
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:40 am

I know one thing - I would prefer someone calling a game who has passion, rather than a clinical robot, who sits there an offers nothing else.

I couldn't care less if Dermie called Hawthorn games, Silvagni called Carlton games - WHO CARES?!

The AFL must address this issue immediately. Because it is a sad state of affairs when something so trivial, gets more headlines than the game itself.

They are only commentators FFS. And to Eddie - I mean that in the politest way possible. It would be a good idea if some journos and people focussed on what is going on, on the actual field - rather than carrying on like pork chops about all this other rubbish that means jack - and they are just making an issue out of it.

Since when did the term journalist equate to gossip columnist?

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
lsdswooper 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:55 am

Is eddie calling today? anzac day against the bombers will be torture for him.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:36 pm

I wish Eddie would just call another game instead of the pies ones. I loved seeing him in the crowd barracking and walking around. If he skipped the collingwood games all this bs would just evaporate. its like sheedy said, even if ed isnt biased ANYTHING he says about us is deemed to be barracking (which of course is bs too) people will use stuff that isnt anything and make it something.

give me my prez in the rooms and in the crowd anyday.
Bones 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:17 pm

Ed has a obligation to the Magpies on game day and should not be calling the game.
Besides that, he is a crap caller.
A great Pressie that has got US rocking along nicely, BUT.
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:58 pm

I'd rather he didn't call Collingwood games. So often he uses the Collingwood players' nicknames, such as Stevie McKee, Bucks, Neon, but can't do the same for the opposition. It is not a biased call, but it is obvious he is in cahoots with the Pies. Really, there is no reason why he has to call our games - it just stirs trouble anyway.

One positive - it has people HATING Collingwood again!!!
Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:34 pm

I'm sick of the crap on Eddie, he is just doing his job. Chn 9 contracts him to do it, and wouldn't do so if he wasn't doing a good job. I love frid. night footy when Gaz, derm, commetti and Ed call the games, they always get right into it and have a bit of fun. I love how Ed goes over the top and he does this in all the games he calls, not just the pie's ones....Its just the way he is, he loves footy and good luck to him. Even if Ed didn't commentate, they'd soon find something else to complain about, so he will never make anyone happy, but as long as he's content and so is 9, that is all that matters. Go Ed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: