Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

'THAT BANNER' questions must be answered !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:47 am
Post subject: 'THAT BANNER' questions must be answered !!Reply with quote

Im sad and concerned at where football is heading i have been for quite sometime the game has been hijacked by a group of suits who have no personalities they not like us did not grow up in the good old days in the outer. These people have no 'football passion' and i believe this is where the problem may lay.
Football to many is no longer fun and maybe thats why the game cannot command crowds it once could, you see i was a part of football along with many others on this board in an era where footy was fun the game encouraged personalities on the field.The players through no fault of there own have been commanded to become robotic on the field.

I know im raving on here a bit but what im trying to say is the game is stuffed its over governed, the supporters the very people who have made this game the sucess it is have been treated with contempt for too long remember this everyone ( its the supporters game it belongs not to the AFL if it has have no support you have no game) its no rocket science stuff involved here.

The game has become confusing the people who run the game continue to confuse with great frustration, these very same people pamper the theatre goers and forget about the rest of us who bleed 24/7 for the club we love.
It cannot get finals ticketing right with many club members missing out
these very same peole through greed build a new stadium in west melb to hold only 55 thousand people.
Again this very organisation suspends a fine young player with eyes on the ball only he misses a grand final and it cost his club a premiership, yet its ok for a player to plummet a player head first into the turf.

Why has the game become so confusing can some one answer that why cant it be level playing field..to think another club recieves an extra 500 or 600 grand to its salary cap to keep players on there playing list is not level playing field it smacks of favouritism.

In closing can someone please tell me what the hell was offensive about that banner, dont dismiss what has just happened who would of really been upset about this banner ?

The 'we go to every game supporter' umm i dont think so !!

Answers please.

Im looking into getting a body of supporters together to represent all supporters please notify myself if you are interested and why? email joffacorfe@hotmail.com

Its time to say enough is enough give the bloody game back to the people who have made it the success that it is ...THE SUPPORTER!!
We must have some say in how we want the game to continue, what happened on friday night re the banner in good fun and banter smacks of dictatorship.

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

what are they police? soon the crowd will have to be quiet and not offend the players while playing, pfffft, week as piss the AFL is.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:14 pm

The A.F.L. is simply trying to hide from the FACT that it has rigged the last two premierships in order to "grow the game" in Queensland.

They don't care about what's fair and what's not fair. They are trying to "sell" football.

What these suited cretins forget is that football doesn't need to be "sold". The game sold itself long before these yuppies got involved. Because the game was great. And the people were drawn to it simply because it WAS great.

If the people in Queensland weren't interested, it was simply because Aussie Rules Football doesn't suit the Queensland mentality of sun and surf, where bloated no-necked corrupt coppers get their jollies by belting the suitcase out of each other in the scrum ... getting in practice for the next protest march.

That's Queensland's loss as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't give a stuff if football never takes off in Queensland. Give 'em the Broncos. It's all they deserve in Bjelke land.

But the A.F.L. can't see that. They can't see that, no matter how many premierships they rig for Brisbane, or try to rig for Sydney, the game is a dead duck north of the Murray. As soon as they make Brisbane compete on a level playing field, they will slide back to where they were ... absolutely NOWHERE.

And Wooloongabba will go back to being a dog track by night ... and an up-market latrine for tropical bird-life by day.

And no one in Queensland will give a stuff.
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:41 pm

UM!!!!!

Being just a tad harsh on Queenslanders mate..it is not the queenslanders who are at fault here, Queenslanders have been supporting the game since day dot....with alot of people travelling down to cararra each week and when it finally did move to Brisbane itself well THE GAME...not the way the AFL has sold it has grown....you have to remember that even while Brisbane was shit they still used to pull a crowd each week......we want football up here....so much so that the gabba gets sold out each time...I for one would give a stuff if football was not being developed up here....I am actually really offended by the comments......you may have your opinion about it, i respect that but I feel you have gone a little too far

About the Banner...I do agree Joffa, it was a very sad state of affairs...they are trying to take the passion out of football, and the fun out of football.....The AFL have no idea what the people want.....they have their won agenda and that is dollars.....

cheers

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:49 pm

I think the idea of a supporters interest group/lobby group is definitely viable.

Think about the dollars that each of us, from each team, pump into this sport. It is actually suprising that a group like this doesn't exist judging by the amount of money that is transacted.

Anyone who is a regular public transport user, would know of the Public Transport Users group, I'm thinking, from what you've said Joff, is that you would be thinking of that same kind of thing. There has to be a united voice of supporters that have the responsibility of putting these issues on the table at the AFL - instead of being dismissed as just 'whinging Collingwood supporters' and the like.

I know of other supporters, from other teams, who are just as dismayed. At the moment, the AFL don't seem accountable to the people who they really should be. I was aghast at the decision on Thursday night, as it just doesn't make sense. But I don't think it is only about that - it is about a whole lot of issues that the AFL seem to be ignoring. And from what I can see, it is to its detriment. If it all comes down to how many people come through the gate, then the AFL really seem to be failing by a mile.

Jen

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:02 pm

The AFL were totally outmaneuvered by a master.

Eddie wrote the banner himself, he admitted that when they showed a mock up on TV before the game on Thursday. I find it hard to believe that he didn't know that the AFL would object and prohibit the message... and then there was the leak.

Picture what would have happened if the AFL hadn't blindly followed the path laid down for them. The banner would have been shown, half the people at the ground would have seen the appropriate side, read it and forgotten it. It may have made it onto television, sometimes they do, but even then 99% of people couldn't tell you what was on a banner after having just seen it on television.

The AFL very kindly fell into step, played their part perfectly and all of a sudden the banner is newsworthy, gets a 5 minute exclusive spot on prime time tv and is talked about for days. Most people can tell you what the message referred to, even if they couldn't tell you word for word what it was. How many banners in the history of the game have been remembered long after the game - I'd suggest that this may be the only one.

As well as all that, Collingwood comes out of it as the victims, having been savaged by the meglomanic bureaucrats of the AFL.

Eddie McGuire, President of the Collingwood Football Club, King of the Media... and Puppet Master Extroadinaire.
ozboy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:31 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm not too sure how much we will come out of this one as 'victims'. If watching "The Fat" is anything to go by (or as it should have been called last night - "The Anti-Collingwood Variety Hour"), this is more ammunition for people to drag down the club, supporters, Eddie. In the space of 10 minutes, all 6 panel members slagged off the Pies name through the mud, (most notably Rebecca "Carlscum" Wilson and that jolly tub of lard who thinks he's a comedian) re: the political banner, Eddies commentary, narrow minded supporters from Melbourne clubs, they also had a good laugh at us losing the GF rematch etc.

And of course, with them all the while sucking up to the new media "personality", Aker...effing...whingearse, who was lapping it up. If Dr. Turf had been on, it could only have gotten WORSE! This bloke only takes a breath in bagging out club, to bag his own Demons (typical Demon supporter in that respect).

Did anyone else catch this farce on the ABC?
Ozboy
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:59 pm

agree ozboy - good show but i have trouble watching it when they constantly heap shit on us, especially turfie who knows bugger all about footy yet claims expert status.
as for the banner - ed obviously thought about how it would all play out before going ahead with it but, as much as i agree with his views on the salary cap, the banner is not the place to make a statement. not sure how the cheer squad feel about it but i feel they are being used as pawns in eddie's agenda. by all means get stuck into the bears, swans and the afl itself but when the guys run out on the ground, its the footy that concerns me.
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:52 pm

I think the proposed banner was AWESOME and the fact that it wasnt allowed really proves what everyones saying. Its a joke.

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:57 pm

According to Wayne Jackson on the Rex Hunt 3AW show today it was the Lions who objected to the banner, that they didn't want it to go up because it mentioned their dark past, the Bears. I wonder what the truth is.
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:01 pm

Like i said in another post is why bother banning the banners message? After all anyone just has to say pick up a paper,switch on the tv news etc to realise that some clubs are up in arms about the cap the lions and the swans get so i say why bother banning the banner,when its already in the public eye. The brisbane public aren't stupid,most of them would boo the magpies anyway,so whats the point of banning a banner!!!!.
*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:03 pm

insteaed of the afl asking for please explain from clubs,players,coaches i wonder if collingwood ask the afl for a please explain i wonder if we will get one?
I dont no what the problem was with the banner because everyone no's that brisbane and sydney get salary cap concessions.

Alf i think thats a bit harsh on brisbane i think that it will take the football public another 20-30 years to make an inroad on rugby the brisbane club
is still very young compared to us we are over 100 years old and have generations of supporters passed through us
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:51 pm

The one thing i disagree with is the channel 9 logo appearing on the banner. Unless they paid for the logo being on the banner it shouldnt have been used.

The AFL are being too precious when it comes to Brisbane. Its not like the banner was offsensive or used swearings etc.

Im glad Wayne Jackson is leaving the AFL

jlc

magpie24 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:10 pm

Confused And how did Channel 9 get on the banner?

I thought the cheersquad was for the kids, not to have a go at Brisbane,the AFL and advertise a television station.

Congradulations on your 50th Wakes!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:25 pm

Well Eddie has taken over wording the banner which is something i consider to be wrong. The banner should be designed and thought of by the cheersquad members and then given final approval by Eddie.

Soon the banner will become one big piece of advertising. We may as well promote the Logies on an upcoming banner or even Channel 9 news or maybe 60 minutes........lol

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: