Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Playing the Saints in NZ

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you support Collingwood playing the Saints in NZ?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 15 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
Stay away from drugs, they really are doing you damage
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 41

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 pm
Post subject: Re: Playing the Saints in NZReply with quote

John Wren wrote:
have you been to wellington? i think you know little about what you are talking about. again. give the game up spindog.

Don't insult my beautiful Shelby. And yes I have been to Wellington exactly four times. I like the place, but it is certainly no "luttle Melbourne". Have you ever been to Hobart? Confused

BTW Wellington and Hobart are both in the Roaring Forties. Hence the origin of their being called, "windy cities".

Piesnchess wrote:
WHY should we play games in the Land of the Long White Shroud ??. Bugger that, no way known. !

Exactly Piesnchess. This supports your idea that Tassie deserves a team more than New Zealand.

Last edited by collie dog on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stoliboy wrote:

Can it replace an Etihad game at the beginning of the season when the MCG is not available.

Laughing The fact you even ask him stoliboy proves my point that John Wren is an AFL plant. Hello there Gillon McLaughlin. Wink

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 pm

swoop42 wrote:
This is Australia and we're playing an Australian born and bred game the kiwi's don't give a crap about.

Let the rugby states if they like or better yet New Zealand honor there war dead in there own country.

It was plain odd to me even more so given we've been playing this fixture since 1995.

This smacks of pure tokenism to me from the AFL simply because we are looking to break into the New Zealand market.

I'll go one further swoop42. There should be no ANZAC commemorations at any games this weekend other than those that actually fall on April 25. It has been frankly embarrassing seeing every game this week started with the so-called ANZAC commemorations. Evil or Very Mad

We are the original ANZAC game and it should always stay that way. I absolutely refuse to support any of the other freeloaders who played on our day. There should be only ONE game on ANZAC Day. Collingwood v. Essendon at the MCG.

Ask Hiss, I'm sure he would give me his total RSL support.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:42 pm

I think I read once they played aussie rules against NZ over 100 years ago... so it seems to be a really tough market to crack!

I think we should give it to the other teams and keep our big games for the G and Olympic stadium when playing Sydney! That way we get a home ground advantage for our big games Smile

swooper 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:38 pm

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. ANZAC day is the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the first World War.

I have no problem with the NZ anthem being played.

Oh, and Wellington is a great city but really don't want to see us playing our home games there (or really any AFL games...)
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm not completely against us playing a game in New Zealand but I'll need to be heavily persuaded as to why it would be a viable idea to play someone like the Saints in New Zealand when the game could easily be played in Melbourne.

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
This is Australia and we're playing an Australian born and bred game the kiwi's don't give a crap about.

Let the rugby states if they like or better yet New Zealand honor there war dead in there own country.

It was plain odd to me even more so given we've been playing this fixture since 1995.

This smacks of pure tokenism to me from the AFL simply because we are looking to break into the New Zealand market.

You missed what I said above, they played the NZ Anthem at my local RSL service as well, and I don't think that Watsonia RSL is trying to break into the NZ market.

As far as the Australian game, they were performing a proper commemorative service including the last post and there are guidelines to be followed on that no matter where in Australia you are.

You also missed my point that this game has been played since 1995 and the NZ anthem has never been sung before.

What's changed?

The AFL trying to break into the NZ market.

I must admit it did catch me by surprise when the NZ anthem was performed on Friday at the MCG because it'd never been sung before, but at the same I thought it was a nice touch as well.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 am

collie dog wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

I'll go one further swoop42. There should be no ANZAC commemorations at any games this weekend other than those that actually fall on April 25. It has been frankly embarrassing seeing every game this week started with the so-called ANZAC commemorations. Evil or Very Mad

We are the original ANZAC game and it should always stay that way. I absolutely refuse to support any of the other freeloaders who played on our day. There should be only ONE game on ANZAC Day. Collingwood v. Essendon at the MCG.

Ask Hiss, I'm sure he would give me his total RSL support.

it is not "our" day as you put it. it is the anzacs' day. no one club has a mortgage on it.

i was pleased they finally decided to play the nz anthem. i thought it very insular that we'd only played our anthem on a day that commemorates the service men and women of both countries.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:27 am

collie dog wrote:
John Wren wrote:

it's a cracker of a little city. a small scale melbourne and not that far to fly.

Hobart is the Aussie parallel you are looking for John Wren.

no, it isn't.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 am

Given the appalling military stupidity that it commemorates, I'm surprised they don't play the Benny Hill theme.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:59 am

^ Haha, oh my. I'm not sure that's going to go down well. Shocked

When you think about it, perhaps it is curious to be playing national anthems to celebrate Anzac Day. Is it really a nationalistic day? Is that the point?

Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 am

FYI, I'm also told the NZ Antham was also played at the Dawn Service at the shrine!

And also, everything the AFL do on the ANZAC day has the blessing of the RSL... so I'm sure they had a massive say, if not THE say in what anthems are played.

At the end of the day, NZ athem or not, it doesn't warrant as many posts as it has received in this thread!

What a bloody outrage that was! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes </sarcasm>
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:33 am

John Wren wrote:
many on this forum express contempt and disgust towards our games at eithad. what if we were to play our away game against the saints in wellington, nz?

it's a cracker of a little city. a small scale melbourne and not that far to fly.

it wouldn't be the anzac day clash cos of the existing fixture but perhaps some time later in the year. there's probably too many existing commercial arrangements to allow it to happen.

that aside, would you be interested in venturing to aotearoa for an away game?

i know many kiwis pick collingwood as their afl team because of our colours.

Surely it cant hurt the club to gain more international recognition and support? We should be prepared to play away games anywhere except Price Fixing Park.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 am

Lazza wrote:
John Wren wrote:
many on this forum express contempt and disgust towards our games at eithad. what if we were to play our away game against the saints in wellington, nz?

it wouldn't be the anzac day clash cos of the existing fixture but perhaps some time later in the year. there's probably too many existing commercial arrangements to allow it to happen.

that aside, would you be interested in venturing to aotearoa for an away game?

i know many kiwis pick collingwood as their afl team because of our colours.

Surely it cant hurt the club to gain more international recognition and support? We should be prepared to play away games anywhere except Price Fixing Park.

we should be prepared to take the show on the road more (outside of the interstate games). let others experience and gain enjoyment from seeing the club.

whilst not in the same league, so to speak, the vfl team is headed to morwell for a game this year.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 pm

David wrote:
^ Haha, oh my. I'm not sure that's going to go down well. Shocked

When you think about it, perhaps it is curious to be playing national anthems to celebrate Anzac Day. Is it really a nationalistic day? Is that the point?

ANZAC Day? Yes. Remembrance day not so much.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm

collie dog wrote:
stoliboy wrote:

Can it replace an Etihad game at the beginning of the season when the MCG is not available.

Laughing The fact you even ask him stoliboy proves my point that John Wren is an AFL plant. Hello there Gillon McLaughlin. Wink

Well I was commenting (selfishly) that I wouldn't mind a NZ trip as a supporter. I am based in Sydney anyways so getting to the games every week is not a goer.

I am not sure how a NZ trip would affect the players for the rest of the season. That is where I would have reservations.

But it would be nice for the NZ based Magpie fans Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: