Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Vale Phil Walsh.

The tragedy and futility of domestic violence is a scourge on society. High profile cases such as this get enormous media coverage but thousands of people are affected every day. Time for society as a whole to work toward eradicating it. Any violence against man or beast is abhorrent and should not be tolerated.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:59 am

Tragic.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:04 am

I heard the news on the radio driving to work this morning. It actually impacted me, I felt shocked.

I never met the bloke, but for some reason that news really did hit.

RIP Phil Walsh. I'm sure there will be more info coming out eventually, I heard the SA Police statement earlier and it boiled down to Phil was dead, the wife was in hospital undergoing treatment so they couldn't talk to her and the son was in hospital undergoing assessment so they couldn't talk to him so pretty much anything else is speculation.

What will be very interesting is what happens to the Sunday game.

I can't see how it could go ahead, I can't see how it could be postponed, the only viable option seems to be to cancel it and give each team 2 points.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am

this is awful,
RIP Crying or Very sad
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:17 am

stui magpie wrote:
I heard the news on the radio driving to work this morning. It actually impacted me, I felt shocked.

RIP Phil Walsh. I'm sure there will be more info coming out eventually, I heard the SA Police statement earlier and it boiled down to Phil was dead, the wife was in hospital undergoing treatment so they couldn't talk to her and the son was in hospital undergoing assessment so they couldn't talk to him so pretty much anything else is speculation.

I can't see how it could go ahead, I can't see how it could be postponed, the only viable option seems to be to cancel it and give each team 2 points.

Seems absurd but I'm reading there's a chance it won't just be Sunday's game impacted. Sounds crazy but it's possible there'll be no footy this weekend.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:25 am

It may have been possible to have no footy and award every team two points. But it's too late now because the round has already started.

Last edited by Dangles on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:25 am

GoWoodsmen wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Seems absurd but I'm reading there's a chance it won't just be Sunday's game impacted. Sounds crazy but it's possible there'll be no footy this weekend.

Particularly understandable that they consider cancelling the Crows v Cats game and he's worked at multiple other clubs so easy to understand the broader impacts. I think the AFL and the Adelaide football club will work out how best to respond, who knows, players might have some steely resolve to honour Walshy by playing. Not sure what to make of the potential cancellation of other games.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:55 am

jackcass wrote:
Particularly understandable that they consider cancelling the Crows v Cats game and he's worked at multiple other clubs so easy to understand the broader impacts. I think the AFL and the Adelaide football club will work out how best to respond, who knows, players might have some steely resolve to honour Walshy by playing. Not sure what to make of the potential cancellation of other games.

My best guess is that the other games will go ahead and deep down I feel that Sunday's game might also go ahead with all the players committing the game to Walsh's memory. However this is all guesswork on my part.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:01 am

stui magpie wrote:

I think it's important not to overreact.

And now when I say that I don't mean to be insensitive at all.

I like you was totally shocked and saddened when I heard the news but most of that comes from a sense of knowing Walsh because of his public profile.

It hits you harder but as the policeman said this morning what occurred wasn't a tragedy because he's the coach of Adelaide, it's always a tragedy for family and friends to lose a loved one in such circumstances no matter the profile.

So for those who loved, liked and respected him at the Adelaide football club it's totally understandable they wont be wanting to play this weekend.

If coaches or players at other AFL clubs who had a personal relationship with him during his career feel the same then that's totally acceptable also.

If I was a Geelong supporter I'd totally understand the game being cancelled and would agree with it.

For the rest though once the initial shock and sadness passes I think they would be capable of taking to the field and playing our great game of football.

In truth it's probably what Phil Walsh a man consumed by the game would have wanted.

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:24 am

In reality I dare say it's going to be nigh on impossible to cancel a weekend of football at a moments notice. I suspect, despite lengthy agreements and what not that even the TV stations would be understanding in the situation.

I think the thing with Walsh is that he touched so many lives. To be honest I didn't even know he'd played for Collingwood! I was 7 at the time. Anyway from what I understand Alistair Clarkson worked very closely with him at Port Adelaide (I think), he was a fitness coach at Geelong (cue the Phil Walsh cup from now on) and it goes on.

Point is it is highly likely that it's not just the Adelaide Football Club who are going to be struggling to function today, tomorrow and the next day. It's the proximity to the weekend's football that makes this a bloody tough call. Having said that, I guess most players in the game are too young to have known him personally unless you're in Adelaide so technically it shouldn't have too great an impact on the men who are expected to go out there and belt the daylights out of each other chasing a bit of leather.

RIP.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:33 am

Absolute tragedy, but, the show must go on..

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:36 am

Defender wrote:
Absolute tragedy, but, the show must go on..

Succinct and to the point. I fully agree.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:53 am

Shocking news - RIP Phil.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:58 am

Has the AFL indicated when they'll be announcing what will transpire this weekend?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:59 am

jackcass wrote:
Has the AFL indicated when they'll be announcing what will transpire this weekend?

CH 7 Reported that Collingwood has said they will Play Tonight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 61 of 100   

Jump to: