Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 552, 553, 554 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A new screen will set you back maybe $150 - $250 depending on how fancy you want. A decent electronic soldering iron costs around $80. (You might get away with half that at a pinch, but for electronic work you want something decent.) They you need a few components .... you are better off buying a screen.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It's cold. Mad

Try menopause you wont be cold for long Razz

Last edited by Morrigu on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Tannin wrote:
A new screen will set you back maybe $150 - $250 depending on how fancy you want. A decent electronic soldering iron costs around $80. (You might get away with half that at a pinch, but for electronic work you want something decent.) They you need a few components .... you are better off buying a screen.

Thing is the screen I have is a 24" Benq that's worth about $400. I got it pretty cheap and it's been great, but a top line monitor is going to set me back something similar.

Having a look at it though, I can't even see screws or anything to open it up, so it may end up in the too hard basket and I'll grab something new. Still would feel nice to fix something.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 pm

You got that right.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 pm

IPS or TN-film?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:56 pm

You'll pay about $170 for a TN film model, around $100 extra for IPS.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Aspect Ratio 16:9
Resolution (max.) 1920x1080
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.248
Brightness ( typ.) 300 cd/㎡
Contrast ( typ. ) 1000:1
DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) (typ.) 50000:1
Panel Type TN
Viewing Angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10) 170/160
Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ. 5ms
Display Colors 16.7million
Color Gamut 72%

No idea what half that shit means, but that's the specs. Had a really good look and can't see how to open it up. Why don't things just have screws anymore?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Wokko wrote:
Why don't things just have screws anymore?

Coz then you could fix them. Sad

Oh, and coz it save 0.0013 cents per unit.

Your screen is a TN film one then. Good for general use, nice and bright, poor to middling colour rendition (depending on the model), poor off-axis performance (i.e., you need to sit fairly straight in front of it).

You could replace it with a good equivalent for under $200. Or pay the extra and step up to IPS if off-axis viewing matters to you or if you want accurate colour for (e.g.) photography, fabric design, anything where colour matters more than price.

Go and look at a few different ones. Look at them from all different angles; don't worry too much about colour (any TN film unit is poor at colour anyway, any IPS one should be good, and you can't tell in the shop 'coz you have no control over the input signal and the lighting is hopeless); most of all, display some fine text and look closely at it. Is it sharp? Does it shimmer or waver? Do you instantly feel "yep, this one looks great" or feel unsure. Everyone has different eyes, YOU decide which one is best for your eyes. If it costs an extra $40, don't ask questions, get the one your eyes like best.

Lower aspect ratios are better but you won't get much choice.

Standard resolutions like 1920 x 1080 are fine. You are inlikely to see anything else mnuch in your size and price range anyway.

Pixel pitch is a function of size * resolution, you can ignore it if you already know the other two (which are in any case more meaningful to most humans).

Brightness: generally, ignore this. Trust your own eyes before this easily-fudged spec.

Contrast: see brightness. Let your eye decide. More is better, however note that IPS screens typically have lower contrast rations but better picture quality despite that. Note also that very contrasty, bright-coloured screens tend to have very poor white balance and soon become a cause of eye-strain and headaches. (These are the exact equivalent of cheap & nasty speakers with massive bass response and lots of zing in the tweeters - they sound super impressive in the shop but once you get them home you seoon realise that the mid-range is hopeless and they are harsh and inaccurate.)

DCR: marketing fluff.

Viewing angle - more is better but treat the spec with care. Look at the screen running for yourself and move your head around to see if the picture changes or not. (Sometimes this is easier to see out of the corner of your eye, or half-focused. Pay attention to changes in colour and brightness. Be fussy about this.

Response time. Meaningless in any monitor made in the last ten years or so unless you play serious shoot-em-up games. Even then, possibly not that critical anymore. (Caveat, I'm not a gamer and I haven't kept up to speed with the current state of play. If I meet an intelligent gamer one day, I'll ask. Don't hold your breath.)

Display colours: take care with this number, there are nasty ways to cheat it. Not sure if they still apply - possibly that particular scam has disappeared now. But if you care about colours you'll be going IPS, so this is another spec you can basically ignore.

Colour gamut: this describes (roughly speaking) the amount of the spectrum the screen can display. 72% is pretty crappy, but most TN film screens are. IPS screens are typically closer to 90% or better. Ignore this spec too, pretty much. No TN screen is brilliant but most are OK these days (they used to be dreadful!) and although you could make a poor IPS creen colour-wise, I don't remember ever seeing one.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks for that. I'm techie enough to build my own computer, but monitors have always just been something I've bought and skimped on. A little knowledge may be a dangerous thing but in this case it should be helpful.

Actually considering a 32" True HD TV instead of a monitor, I've read some positive things. Otherwise I'll go for a 27" monitor and use the info you've given as a guide.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 pm

Excellent! Pleased to be of help. Smile I've been playing with computers since 1979 and worked in the computer industry since .. er .. about '88 or 89. As a photographer, I'm more than usually fussy about colour, so you can take some of my remarks above with a grain of salt if you don't do colour-critical work. I think the last of the really bad colour-cliping TN film screens have disappeared off the market now, so it's less of a worry than it used to be. In any case, I doubt anyone would make a 27 incher in too shoddy a manner.

The LCD panel itself is of course the most important bit by far. Let your eye guide you. The quality of the casing may or may not matter to you depending on how you use it. If it sits in one position all the time, it matters little. Set once and forget. If you like to tilt, twist, or rotate it, then it matters a lot more and you'll get what you pay for. You can make your own judgment on that question.

My main screen at home is a superb old 4:3 unit - you can't buy them anymore, not for any money - and for serious photographic work it still easily outperforms anything much else you can buy today. (For photography, the very shallow modern screens are a hopeless - the moment you look at something in portrait framing, you are wasting two-thirds of the screen and getting a tiny picture.) I frequently tilt it or swivel it as I work. I regard it as the second-most important item of photographic equipment I own, after my big birding lens.

My second screen is a much cheaper newish TN film thing, which pretty much always stays in the same place, so the fact that it's got a crappy, hard-to-adjust tilt and no swivel at all doesn't matter. I wouldn't ever edit a picture on it, but it's fine for text or watching a movie on.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It's cold. Mad

Still $$%^%%$ cold

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 am

The website of The Guardian. Crashes on my iPhone roughly every second time I try to load it. What ever happened to their old minimalist design (still in use on the UK site), and what exactly is so crucially important about all this fancy coding that it needed to be added?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:28 am

It's a shocker, isn't it?

It's actually even worse on a real computer than it apparently is on a phone - they have a massive problem with fonts, quite often unreadable, and it's so Javascript-riddled that opening a few tabs (as you do on real computers but don't do on phones) brings the system to its knees.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm

3 nights ago I'm driving home. Got off work on time. 10 pm. Thinking how great this is. Driving along Kings way then onto Queens Road. Wanting to tun right near the Junction Oval. Long line of stationiary traffic. Never mind, got off on time which for me is considered early, had been doing good time. Waiting in line with the rest of the right turn traffic. Then all of a sudden "boom, crash opera".

A distracted young driver in the family New Sports Range Rover slams into a small old Japanese car driven by an elderly Greek couple that rear ends into me.

Get out cursing & cussing. Check the oldies, call 000 for police & ambulance while checking out the young fella, who was apologetic. Took photo's of the cars. Of course he didn't have his license on him.

Police & Ambulance arrive quickly, Old couple getting checked out,. Young fella is gunna get booked for a few things including "reckless driving". No issue about liability & he is insured or his mum is.

I've been working with the Police 2 days a week since November last year. Almost all of them tell me that "Asians" are the worst drivers. I say drive down Ripponlea or Elsternwick & sone of the elderly Jewish drivers ain't none too good either (trying to diffuse / laugh off of stereotypes etc)

I'm driving my late father in laws car. Cost $1500 to get to roadworthy a few years ago. Since then put in a sony bluetooth CD player. In the last few weeks I have bought brand new 16 R Pirelli tyres & got a new inner ceiling lining put in from the motor trimmers as the old one was peeling off. Dual fuel car. 510,000 km's & drives beautifully. Everything works well.

His insurance assessor rings today: it will cost more to replace than current value. Offering me $5,000. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I'm f'ckn angry as. Not bad value for the car, not great but I was counting on another couple years & more out of that car. The injustice. & this will mean nothing for the rich f*ck. He had to be on his mobile. Looks like one car. FFS.

Lives in Brighton, drives his mothers New Sports Range Rover, his Mandarin is better than his English - damn it, in my anger I want to blame his f*cking ethnicity. Nah that won't do - but the conspicuous consumption mixed with sheer bad f*cking driving makes it tempting.

He was distracted & I hope the cops take him to town.

Yes it could have been worse but I suspect the elderly Greek couple's car is also rooted & I suspect the old man won't be driving in a hurry. Their seats had rocked forward & back.

GRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lucky it wasn't David who caused the 3 car pile up (assuming he still doesn't have car insurance yet)

This is the second car I've had where I've been rear ended by f*ckwits who can't drive. The other car was a gift from a friend whose parents had died, was in beautiful nick for an older Mitsubishi magna that had done very few kilometres & was serviced & garaged regularly.

I was stopped, turning right & a woman driver thought it was a responsible thing to attend to her kid & his ice cream, bent around & look at her son rather than concentrate on the road. Boom crash opera. The assessor then apologised saying how good that car was. I gave the payout to my friend.

Now back to the bicycle - something I've been slack in for the last 8 months to so.

We still have our 2009 Ford G6.

(Edited for spelling)

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:47 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Lucky it wasn't David who caused the 3 car pile up (assuming he still doesn't have car insurance yet)

It's okay, I make up for it by being a great driver. Very Happy

(Seriously, though, that mysterious scratch on the car we hired on the Gold Coast is causing me no end of anxiety. Lola reckons we must have gone over a tree branch. Should have got excess reduction, but you know me. Rolling Eyes)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 552, 553, 554 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 553 of 719   

Jump to: