Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Eagles. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:

Lightly framed, only year 2 let's not get to cute and take him away from what worked so well last season.

Yep, mentioned this one already!! Very Happy
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:20 pm

I was full of confidence coming into tonight's game but now I'm just disappointed and frustrated. I thought we would get our revenge on them for last year. Instead we were lured into playing their brand of football and being unable to play ours. When you don't take your chances then good teams will make you pay.

Missing getable shots only to see the ball sail down the other end is a very common part of our game. Our turnover rate is obscene, and too costly. Decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times as well. Not enough players willing to take the game on and when they do, they can't finish. There's no excuse for not hitting a stationary target 15-20 mts away or kicking OOTF.

There's a few passengers in the team at the moment whose workrate is not good enough and need to improve asap. Phillips, Stevo, Thomas, Cox, Elliott, Aish. We can't have guys drifting in and out of games and making the odd cameo. Where's the run and carry from last year? We look knackered and done.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 pm

I actually think they played a game style tonight which resembled what we are aiming for, but they were better at it. Their midfield is underestimated as a power unit. It is fantastic. That is why they won. With that power out of the centre and around the ground, they were able to maximise their attacking opportunities. Our gameplan had obviously focussed on nullifying their aerial power, but with our midfield down we could not also counter their fast small forwards. It was not a question of any individual player, it was their overall team pressure and skill, led by a powerful midfield. I also noticed that their pressure on the contest was fantastic. That is normally a strength of ours, but they had the edge on us tonight. The good news is that we were in the contest for most of the game, even though our midfield was not firing on all its possible cylinders.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Before the season started I pointed out that we ranked 13th for centre clearances last year, and unfortunately this remains our achilles heal.

Rudeboy, is there some sort of communication issue between Grundy and the mids? Brodie often wins the tap, but is he currently doing it decisively enough in where he directs it? Either that, or the mids just don't seem to know where to position themselves to make the most of it.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
The good news is that we were in the contest for most of the game, even though our midfield was not firing on all its possible cylinders.

Yes, despite all you correctly point out, it was remarkable really that we were still within striking distance.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 pm

Yeah, it is crazy why we seem unable at the moment to impact the centre clearances forcefully. The 6-6-6 rule should theoretically favour us, yet so far we see little evidence of it. Not sure why. We just seemed unable to win enough centre clearances tonight.
swooper 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:

But lose to the Dogs at Marvel, plus a trip to QLD??? Our season could be on twnderhooks quick smart.

We play Dogs at the G ...
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Well, that was very disappointing. We just never looked likely after quarter time.

Our much vaunted midfield is overrated, and our small forwards just aren't delivering. Elliot, Stevo & Thomas just aren't hitting the scoreboard enough.

Stevo looks lost now Elliott is back in the side. Maybe time to play him out of the goal square again.

Considering the dominance of their midfield, I thought he backline did as well as could be expected. To lose by only 22 point is actually a bonus.

I'm not as upset about this loss as I was about the loss to Geelong. We could have, and should have, won that game. This one, we were gone a long way out, despite the margin.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Yeah, it is crazy why we seem unable at the moment to impact the centre clearances forcefully. The 6-6-6 rule should theoretically favour us, yet so far we see little evidence of it. Not sure why. We just seemed unable to win enough centre clearances tonight.

Were the Weagles roving to Grundy?

Maybe every now and then, Brodie needs to say "I'm not going to tap this time, I'm going to thump it as far as it will go into our forward half. Get ready boys!!".
We have a good ruckman, we have good mids, we should win more centre clearances. This is where the game will be won or lost with the new rules. Perhaps we need to set up a few different set plays to keep opposing teams off balance. Mason too should be able to affect outcomes with his tall reach.

It's interesting though. Max Gawn is not having the influence so far this year at centre bounces that he did last season.

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:40 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
I was full of confidence coming into tonight's game but now I'm just disappointed and frustrated. I thought we would get our revenge on them for last year. ...

I had no idea where this pre-game confidence from the public came from. It sounded like it was partly a belief that if you lose three games against an opponent, it will magically be your turn to win the next time.

Magpietothemax wrote:

I don't know why everyone thinks it should favour us. The centre-clearance numbers last year were damning for us.

Last edited by K on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:40 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Well, that was very disappointing. We just never looked likely after quarter time.

Our much vaunted midfield is overrated, and our small forwards just aren't delivering. Elliot, Stevo & Thomas just aren't hitting the scoreboard enough.

Stevo looks lost now Elliott is back in the side. Maybe time to play him out of the goal square again.

Considering the dominance of their midfield, I thought the backline did as well as could be expected. To lose by only 22 point is actually a bonus.

I'm not as upset about this loss as I was about the loss to Geelong. We could have, and should have, won that game. This one, we were gone a long way out, despite the margin.

Yep agree. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. Roles of Stevo and Billy in the same team need to be recalibrated. I also agree that our defence did well. With the midfield down, they held off a deluge pretty well. Agree that WC looked the superior side after quarter time.
It is simply down to the midfield. We willl defeat WC if our midfield dominates.If theirs does, we can't win. We have a season still to work out our best midfield conformation.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

Were the Weagles roving to Grundy?

It's interesting though. Max Gawn is not having the influence so far this year at centre bounces that he did last season.

Yes, good points PP. I think WC were roving to Grundy. But that begs the question: how were they able to benefit from Grundy's hit outs, rather than us?? They seemed to have some very fast midfielders who ran through the centre square at the earliest possible time to seize the random ground ball far often than us. We need tor review the game, and find out how they did that so consistently.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 pm

K wrote:

I don't know why everyone thinks it should favour us. The centre-clearance numbers last year were damning for us.

For sure K. But why, when we have such talent in the middle? What's not working in there? Do we not have enough big bodied players? Robert Harvey is our mid-field coach is he not? I think he needs to have a big think about all of this Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Thomas should have been dropped and Varcoe played. Period.

We're lacking a key forward. WHE would have been nice. And a decent crumber Gee I miss Leon Davis.

this again??

take a look at last weeks stats, on super coach he scored 33, the worst player on the field.

i love Varcoe, but hes just about done. hes been brave, helped bring the kids on, 4 kicks in a game and hes the messaih? god help us

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:52 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
WE didn't play well, had a lot of guys down, wet toast had none down, yet we still got within two goals late in game. Then the vile yellow maggots step in and pluck a fifty outa their asses, to gift eagles an easy goal, destroyed our momentum, and its game over. Plus that other fifty, the one even Dangerfield said on twitter was one of worst decisions hes ever seen, that's two goals they got from disgusting fifty metres, and ruined the game. No wonder fans are waling away, I feel like walking away, fed up with umpires destroying good games, thru total bias or utter stupidity. I reckon eddie or bucks should say hang the fine, just say it was shite umpiring, Oh and don't come that caper we had more frees its where u get the frees that count, many of theirs were up forward, ours were not, and those two disgusting fifty meters, one just has no words for that display.

Yep!!!!

triple yep.

every time we got a run the umps pulled out a zinger, it was $£$%^%%$ disgraceful. we were not allowed in. I dont think we played well enough to win, simply because we need an extra 20. they got 3 goals through frees/50s, and we didnt get one from Degoey, who looked to be tripped. thats the game right there. every time our guys marked they got ground into the turf, Howes touches their player and its 50. I call bullshit.

when it comes, and i have no doubt it will because I believe in this team, vengeance will be more than sweet, it will be bloody beautiful.

and i will be there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14   

Jump to: