Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your view Pies2016, however I will ask you this question, would you prefer to maximise the number of wins in 2017 or focus on development of the younger players for the remainder of 2017 with the aim of hopefully winning a flag in 2019, as well as being a flag contender for the next four seasons 2020 through 2023?

To me it is this simple, I hate to lose, but I am willing to take some pain in the short term for reward in the long term. We are not going to win the flag in 2017, so the decision to me is a very simple one to make.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 pm

mooretreloar wrote:
I understand your view Pies2016, however I will ask you this question, would you prefer to maximise the number of wins in 2017 or focus on development of the younger players for the remainder of 2017 with the aim of hopefully winning a flag in 2019, as well as being a flag contender for the next four seasons 2020 through 2023?

To me it is this simple, I hate to lose, but I am willing to take some pain in the short term for reward in the long term. We are not going to win the flag in 2017, so the decision to me is a very simple one to make.

Very valid question. Right now, I believe we should still be playing for the " now ". However, if we say, lose three of our next four, then it's probably time to invest in the future. I don't think we have reached that tipping point just yet.

I will add one more thing in regard to " fast tracking " kids in the AFL.
I'm involved in TAC U18 footy and I'm aware of dozens of different stories relating to various negative impacts on these kids when you pick the wrong time to blood a boy playing a mans game. I'm not sure many posters take that into account when they get impatient to see the new kid on the block.

I keep the above in the back of my mind when I start to get impatient.
Nobody understands these kids better than the club. It would blow some people away if they knew the level of ongoing support, counselling and communication that is available to them through their journey.

Looks like Shazza is playing. Clearly, the club now think he is ready, both MENTALLY and physically. Good luck to the boy.

Cheers Mooretreloar. Unlike some, I too enjoy your posts.
think better 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:20 pm

The Berg returns
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:

Very valid question. Right now, I believe we should still be playing for the " now ". However, if we say, lose three of our next four, then it's probably time to invest in the future. I don't think we have reached that tipping point just yet.

I'm involved in TAC U18 footy and I'm aware of dozens of different stories relating to various negative impacts on these kids when you pick the wrong time to blood a boy playing a mans game. I'm not sure many posters take that into account when they get impatient to see the new kid on the block.

Nobody understands these kids better than the club. It would blow some people away if they knew the level of ongoing support, counselling and communication that is available to them through their journey.

Looks like Shazza is playing. Clearly, the club now think he is ready, both MENTALLY and physically. Good luck to the boy.

^ Agree with all of that I think many people forget that these are very young men, not pieces on a chessboard. I also like MooreTreloar's posts. He may be a bit more stinging than he needs to be, but his analysis and argument is usually very good.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:39 pm

IN: Matthew Scharenberg, Tim Broomhead, Jackson Ramsay, Ben Crocker, Mason Cox

OUT: Henry Schade (Omitted), James Aish (Cheekbone)

Slew of changes at Brisbane.

IN: Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay, Ryan Bastinac, Rohan Bewick, Cedric Cox, Rhys Mathieson, Archie Smith

OUT: Tom Bell (Omitted), Josh Walker (Omitted), Claye Beams (Hamstring), Ryan Harwood (Omitted)

(Three to be omitted from each team)
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Good luck Matthew Scharenberg
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:51 pm

If the board finally does make up its mind on Bucks _not_ being coach next year by the bye, we should as others say, blood youth.. and I know as upsetting as it sounds... tank.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Good luck Matthew Scharenberg
Glad to hear it.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Strange I didn't see Ben Crocker at training this morning yet I see he's named in the 25 man squad. Don't know if he will play or not, but the way I see it, is that he's in our best 22 if fit. Schade was due to be dropped so that's ok. I don't know who takes his place though. I guess Howe will have to play CHB. I hope Cox plays because we need his height on the forward line.

Assuming Shazza and Cox play, we have a much better line up than the team which played Hawthorn. We'll beat Brisbane anyway, but we need to look at the structure of the side going forward. Freo and Melbourne are going to be hard teams to crack unless we have a forward line that can actually kick goals without our mids having to do all the work.

Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Thu May 25, 2017 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:01 pm

think better wrote:
The Berg returns

Yay!!!!! Very Happy

All good luck to him for Sunday and at least 200plus games after that!! Laughing
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Full squad in the OP.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:

^ Agree with all of that I think many people forget that these are very young men, not pieces on a chessboard. I also like MooreTreloar's posts. He may be a bit more stinging than he needs to be, but his analysis and argument is usually very good.

I understand where you are both coming from and agree re your points on the potential impact on young kids if they are exposed too early.

I also understand your view that you think my posts at times may be more stinging than they need to be. However, 99 times out of 100, this will be because the poster in question has been extremely rude, hence I react or I have noticed a pattern from that poster and they are trying the same thing on me, hence I react. In real life I use the adage of treating people, how I would like to be treated, but if I am treated badly then I will react. It will be the same on here.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:

To both Pies2016 and Mooretreloare, I really enjoy your posts. They are all clearly based on a very thorough knowledge of the game, and I am an avid reader of you both!
This latest discussion on whether to bring in youth at all costs in order to speed up our rebuild, or whether to play for victory in the present, has me intrigued. I tend to agree with Pies2016 more: like any supporter, I am desperate for victory here and now, and selecting the genuine best 22 at any point in time seems to me to be the optimum policy. Also, I don't think that bringing in alot of first gamers at once is good, because you want the young players to be part of a team that is still very competitive with the opposition. For example, when Carlton played Port Adelaide, they played lots of young players and I don't think the thrashing they copped would necessarily have been beneficial for the young players concerned. I agree also with Pies2016 that the Club is in the best position to understand and judge when a young man is ready to play his first AFL game.
ROB 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Assuming Shazza and Cox play, we have a much better line up than the team which played Hawthorn.

Not sure this is the case.

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Doubtful Cox will play in any conditions, but very much won't play if wet.

Predicting the final changes to be:
In: Scharenberg, Ramsay
Out: Schade, Aish

Aish has been playing behind the ball and Ramsay is the like for like replacement, unless we put a mid behind the ball, which I very much doubt.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: