Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan has killed two terrorists it was holding, I don't think we need worry about the Japanese being poked IS might have just signed their own death warrant within the Arab world.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:06 pm

1061 wrote:
think positive wrote:
I won't watch that, or even look at a picture, just reading it turns my stomach. (But David, I have seen a beheading one years ago!) One things for sure, the powers that be, need to make damn sure, there is nothing left of these evil bastards. Cruel inhumanity, has no place in the world now.

That link doesn't show much but I did stumble onto the footage

OMG I made the choice to watch knowing once it started I owed it to the poor man to watch his suffering till the end. I'm in tears typing this as it was the most horrific video I have ever seen and if anyone does stumble onto it I would strongly advise you do not watch it.

Thanks for the warning, it's on Facebook, not watching it. The one photo is enough to break my heart. No one, but no one, deserves that

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:10 pm

I think I know that one.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 pm

1061 wrote:
Jordan has killed two terrorists it was holding, I don't think we need worry about the Japanese being poked IS might have just signed their own death warrant within the Arab world.

I think you'll find the Arab world—at least, its regimes—have been treating the battle with ISIS as a fight to the death since back before you and I started wondering about the media's sudden fixation with Egyptian goddesses. Forget the hysterical rhetoric of Tony Abbott and George Brandis: the biggest existential threat Islamic State poses is to Muslim governments, particularly those in the gulf and levant.

If it were as simple as waiting for Islamic State to piss off enough foreign powers, they would have been obliterated six months ago. There is hardly a country on earth that hasn't been blackmailed, screwed with or directly threatened by this group. They threatened to assassinate Vladimir Putin, for god's sake, and the two great powers of the Middle East, the diametrically opposed regimes of Iran and Saudi Arabia, are both treating them as a mortal threat. What more could ISIS possibly do?

No, the problem is that it's just not that easy. America and its allies—which, officially or otherwise, is pretty much everyone right now—can bomb as much as they like, but this isn't a traditional war. I'm not sure that there's much more that could be done right now other than keeping them contained and slowly wearing them down.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:21 pm

They are worse then Hitler and the West are Scared of them
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:41 pm

Tannin wrote:
For that matter, there wasn't a lot there you'd want to keep before the Japs started. It was a frontier town, nearly everything shoddy, done on the cheap and in a hurry. (Still the same in some ways.) Different in the Middle-east where we have permanent structures 4000 years old. There you need to be a bit more careful about destroying the irreplacable.

Mate have a look at some of the photos of these areas where the fighting has been. ISIS has been systematically destroying shit everwhere they go, once they get kicked out, the "irreplaceable" is rubble.

In many of those places, thanks to these kind of asewipes, there's far more history under the ground than above it.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 pm

If you're talking about Kobane, a great deal of the rubble was apparently caused by US bombing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:56 pm

David wrote:
If you're talking about Kobane, a great deal of the rubble was apparently caused by US bombing.

How can you say that with any authority?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm

The same mob IIRC went through Timbuktu. See what they did to some historic libraries and buildings there and other places through Syria.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:32 pm

I believe that was Al-Qaeda, Stui. Still, as the expression possibly goes, same shit, different smell.

1061 wrote:
David wrote:

How can you say that with any authority?

My experience providing weapons training to the YPG, naturally. I saw it with my own two eyes.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/31/kobani-kurdish-forces-retake-isis-destroyed-power-sanitation-bombs-residents-hopes

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 pm

David wrote:
I believe that was Al-Qaeda, Stui. Still, as the expression possibly goes, same shit, different smell.

One of my favourites, same Dog - different leg action.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
For that matter, there wasn't a lot there you'd want to keep before the Japs started. It was a frontier town, nearly everything shoddy, done on the cheap and in a hurry. (Still the same in some ways.) Different in the Middle-east where we have permanent structures 4000 years old. There you need to be a bit more careful about destroying the irreplacable.

Mate have a look at some of the photos of these areas where the fighting has been. ISIS has been systematically destroying shit everwhere they go, once they get kicked out, the "irreplaceable" is rubble.

In many of those places, thanks to these kind of asewipes, there's far more history under the ground than above it.

Oh, I wouldn't argue against that for a moment, Stui. Same deal with the Taliban over east a bit further - remember those irreplaceable ancient monuments they blew up?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I just ducked then, I heard a "swoosh" go straight over my head. Confused
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:56 pm

David wrote:

Is there no end to your irrational fear

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 pm

David wrote:
I think you'll find the Arab world—at least, its regimes—have been treating the battle with ISIS as a fight to the death since back before you and I started wondering about the media's sudden fixation with Egyptian goddesses. Forget the hysterical rhetoric of Tony Abbott and George Brandis: the biggest existential threat Islamic State poses is to Muslim governments, particularly those in the gulf and levant.

If it were as simple as waiting for Islamic State to piss off enough foreign powers, they would have been obliterated six months ago. There is hardly a country on earth that hasn't been blackmailed, screwed with or directly threatened by this group. They threatened to assassinate Vladimir Putin, for god's sake, and the two great powers of the Middle East, the diametrically opposed regimes of Iran and Saudi Arabia, are both treating them as a mortal threat. What more could ISIS possibly do?

No, the problem is that it's just not that easy. America and its allies—which, officially or otherwise, is pretty much everyone right now—can bomb as much as they like, but this isn't a traditional war. I'm not sure that there's much more that could be done right now other than keeping them contained and slowly wearing them down.

ISIS are a problem for countries with massive sectarian divides. Syria and Iraq fit this bill and hence ISIS is thriving in areas that are Sunni-dominated as they attempt to appeal to the disillusioned Sunnis in Iraq and Syria who have copped the wrath of Al-Maliki and Assad and reside in areas that ISIS have seized and taken over.

Is ISIS a direct threat to Australia? Not at all they don't have the capable manpower or organisation to travel to Australia and take over it if that was ever possible. They'd be obliterated but you're not wrong in saying they're a threat to the Arab world especially in areas of political instability and sectarian tensions. However I think the threat in Australia comes from within for those who sympathise with ISIS' cause in the first place and are encouraged by those overseas to commit attacks in Western countries. Just check out the propaganda pieces by a magazine called Dabiq (an ISIS propaganda magazine, not the city in Syria) that actively encourages Muslims (the disenfranchised ones at the very least) to commit home-grown terrorism in Western countries and has praised those who have committed terror attacks such as Man Haron Monis in Sydney and the Charlie Hebdo shooters in France.

I'm just wondering what do you mean by 'traditional war' David? Are you talking more in the sense of a war traditionally being between two common groups fighting one another or something completely different because there are multiple groups fighting one another at the moment in this part of the world. ISIS is fighting both Assad's forces and the Free Syrian Army and we see the Free Syrian Army fighting Assad's forces and ISIS and of course we can't forget the Kurdish forces who are trying to liberate themselves from these all groups and governments in the first place.

Dave The Man wrote:
They are worse then Hitler and the West are Scared of them

They're definitely up there with Hitler in terms of the barbaric acts of violence they commit and are similar in many respects. Both act like fascist authoritarian states. The territories that ISIS have seized are governed like Fascist states not too different from Nazi Germany and we've also seen both groups systematically target a certain group of people and attempt to undergo a form of ethnic cleansing. Obviously the Nazis targeted the Jewish people of Europe in WWII and ISIS are targeting Shiite Muslims first and foremost and following that they target anyone who doesn't conform or embrace their twisted version of Sunni Islamism. I've heard some say that they're the worst group to exist in any form since WWII when it comes to the acts of violence and extensive human rights abuses they've committed but I wonder whether someone can contest that or not.

I'm not so sure if it's a case of Western governments being scared of ISIS. After all most sources such as the CIA and the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights estimate that ISIS military manpower consists of no more than 100,000 fighters at the most.

They don't possess anywhere near the manpower that major Western powers such as the US, England and France do and of course Russia and China possess huge military manpower as well as extensive and advanced weaponry in their disposal and they wouldn't be called Western countries by any means either, however enemies of ISIS.

Only one source coming from Kurdish forces suggests the figure is 200,000 people are fighting for ISIS which isn't verified and has been questioned and doubted by other sources as I named earlier.

David wrote:

I'd like to see some sources backing this up but you're probably on the right track there David to a certain extent as airstrikes by the Coalition against ISIS with the US leading the way would have contributed to the destruction of Kobane but there are also other sources for such destruction and mayhem that need to be explored as well.

The suicide bombings that occurred in Kobane from both ISIS and Kurdish forces and of course the targeting of Kurdish forces by the Turkish government I'm sure would have caused destruction and mayhem for the town of Kobane when the battle for the town was at its peak and of course most obviously the constant shootouts between the Kurds and ISIS would have caused much destruction and chaos in the town.

Last edited by Jezza on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 50 of 128   

Jump to: