Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win another thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 4 wins against Crows have been by 5, 1, 2 and 4.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:23 pm

In the immediate aftermath, I was frustrated with our second half despite holding on to win the match. However, giving myself time to reflect further and digest what happened, I couldn't be prouder of the adversity we overcame to win this one.

Our forward line was already depleted without Elliott, Mihocek and McCreery, and then adding today's injuries to Hoskin-Elliott and McInnes, you can see why we were struggling and it took a massive effort to regain the lead and hold on.

The Crows did well to spread and switch across the ground, giving them avenues to goal. We looked tired in the last but extracted everything in the last five minutes to get the match back on our terms.

Absolutely loved the passage of play leading to De Goey's goal. Quaynor's smother at centre half back, N Daicos with the pinpoint pass to JDG who then calmly goes back and converts his set shot goal. A massive clutch moment that we've become all too familiar with since Fly started coaching us.

Outstanding effort by John Noble in his 100th game. 29 disposals today and been one of our biggest improvers of the season. It could have been easy for him to throw in the towel after missing out on the premiership last year, but the way he's fought back and become a better version of himself is something to be admired.

Currently in the top 4 for the time being, and Carlton are out of the 8. It doesn't get better than that Smile

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:23 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
Last 4 wins against Crows have been by 5, 1, 2 and 4.

If you go back a little further, it's been 5 points or less in five of the last six clashes against them.

The aberration was Round 2 2022 ('the fire alarm match') when we defeated them by 7 goals.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:38 am

^Jezza. I echo your comments about John Noble
He has grown and grown in stature and respectability
And shown all what is possible despite adversity.
What a great guy and team player who inspires the team and us fans
He will not be omitted come finals that's for sure.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:14 am

Fly's presser

In your time as coach, it's been 16 wins out of 20 in games decided by 6 points or less. It's become a repetitive theme, but are we seeing the experience of this come to the fore?
Quote:
"Potentially. Everyone presents something different but there's definitely a comfort in this space. There's a comfort in the close margins that we've been here before and we know what to do and then there's a comfort in that".

Further to that, your forward line was different especially with additional injuries in Will Hoskin-Elliott and Reef McInnes, but you find a way to win.
Quote:
"It's a challenging period for us, it really is. We come in with a plan and you know the plans already gonna be stressed and then the plan gets even more stressed and then you go 'ah, what are we gonna do now?'. Credit to Scott Selwood, he's doing an incredible job. We found a way to kick 12 goals today and that shouldn't be undersold. 9 different goal kickers again, but it is a stress. Yeah, there's a stress".

How is Will Hoskin-Elliott and Reef McInnes?
Quote:
"Reef's got a concussion, so he's obviously gonna be out for a period of time. Will's got a low grade hamstring, which we'll know more tomorrow how bad that is. Reported as a low grade hamstring at the minute".

Are you comfortable with the way the Reef McInnes situation played out in, with it taking a few minutes to review and assess him?
Quote:
"I must admit, I wasn't caught up in that. I'll have to watch that to have an opinion I must say".

Will Jordan De Goey be possibly monitored for any delayed concussion symptoms?
Quote:
"It was a heavy fall wasn't it? Yeah potentially. Anytime there's something like that, you got to look out for that, but he was important wasn't he? At the end too, so sliding door moments really isn't it? Can I just give credit to Adelaide, I know they don't like hearing this but we have some incredible games against them, and some of their players I admire from afar. [Jordan] Dawson. What a player. I wish he was playing for us. Just when they need to win a game, he just goes and just puts himself wherever the game needs. He took three marks in a row going 'oh god, can we just Crispy, can you just go play on him quick?' and then Izak Rankine, you can do everything you want. There's a plan, but that young lad has got exceptional talent so they'll have to pick themselves up, but jeez they're a tough team to play against".

How far do you think Izak Rankine was running in the last 20 seconds?
Quote:
"Well, he ran in front of me and I'm going I didn't realise and most of the crowd didn't realise how far he'd ran but that's not a reflection on how he played. He's an exceptional player".

Isaac Quaynor didn't have a great game, but that smother in the end was significant?
Quote:
"We spoke about that inside. That's a good pick up. We want to have our moments. Mason [Cox] had a big moment at the end, you know, little moments. Manage those well. Do those enough, and then hopefully the scoreboard is a reflection of that. We've got a good reputation of managing moments well".

How do you configure your forward line for next week's match against Fremantle?
Quote:
"I'm hoping there's a few come back. Beau [McCreery] will be available. Checkers has raced to the line, but he's looking better every day. Don't know yet. We'll stay here and lick our wounds later".

On Scott Pendlebury, he's 36 and playing his 393rd game and arguably played one of his best games. How long can he keep playing for?
Quote:
"Well, I won't touch the future other than the present and the present is he's playing as good as he can. His first quarter [he] kicked two, and set up the other two, just unbelievable. He's an incredible professional. Coming to 400 games. He's clearly proven that he is one of those, but every week his training high standards and PBs [personal bests] here and there. The future is the future, but right now we're rapt with how he's going".

You've played alongside and coached some of the most impressive professional footballers. Have you seen anyone more professional than Scott Pendlebury in terms of his preparation, training standards and knowing what he needs to get the best out of himself?
Quote:
"It's hard to argue against that. I can only speak for the last couple of years and then maybe a bit more when I was a development coach. Longevity is a great success story. You don't have that longevity without the professionalism and then managing your body. Harvey Harrison did his ankle [last week] and looked unlikely to play. This is last week, I said 'ring Pendles' because Pendles gets up for those games. He had an incredible history of getting young guys up and tell them what you did so all those experiences are enormous for us".

How proud are you of John Noble? The first mid-season draftee to reach 100 games and how he's responded after missing out on the premiership last year?
Quote:
"He's a bit of a heartbeat for certain parts of our game. He can have a milestone and play well on a milestone. That's a nice attraction to it, isn't it? He kicked a beautiful goal. The story's been told but he's still living it, and he's going through it. He's a hungry guy and we need hungry players. He's really important to us when he's fighting and scrapping and playing the best version of him. We celebrated that yesterday and again just before the game about the significance of it and we got our players to tell us 'what you love about Johnny'. There was some really glowing affirmation for what he does for our team".

Nick Daicos stamped his reputation again as a hard ball player. 14 clearances and 22 contested possessions.
Quote:
"It's a high bar isn't it. It's a high bar when you're comparing what he's doing in a short period of the game. Incredible start to the game. Unbelievable. 15 touches or something like that. His pressure. It's a high bar".

Getting back to De Goey with regard to his fall, are you concerned about his availability for next week?
Quote:
"No, not in regards to that. I'm clearly not a doctor, so I'll leave that to the experts but that stuff will be taken care of. Can I just give a shout out to Uncle Trevor Davis. He designed the jumper. Magnificent Trev. He got in and told some stories during the week and just had him in the rooms there. It's a special day for Indigenous people, and we wanted to show respect and hopefully we made that jumper proud for you and your family".

On Isaac Quaynor's smother and the subsequent passage of play that led to Jordan De Goey's goal, how much of that play is trained compared to it being a bit of luck?
Quote:
"We train system, method, situations and moments. That's what we can train, but then the game gives you all the other parts. Bounce the ball here, and free kicks there and like we can't control those things. We work hard on those things. Of course you need a little bit of luck here and there. Maybe if you didn't call 'run too far' the ball is down there and who knows what can happen. You need some luck along the way, but we can only manage what we can control. The fighting elements of those moments we train that every week".

You celebrate those desperate acts?
Quote:
"Yep, consistently. It will be shown on Monday and then probably highlighted before the next game and go 'hey, remember this, this is who we are'. Most teams will do that. This just becomes part of your DNA".

Is there an award?
Quote:
"We do have 'Tackler of the Week'. They get a free car park. They get the best car park in the place".

Will Isaac Quaynor get the best car park for the smother?
Quote:
"Not for the smother, but he might park in there as well this week".

On Jamie Elliott, do you have a clear timeline on his return?
Quote:
"No, that's a week to week at the minute. No, I'll let Jarrod Wade update that during the week, but at this stage I don't know. I can't comment".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1557490/i-said-talk-to-pendles-mcrae?videoId=1557490&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1716024817001

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:55 am

I watched Flys presser and the most important comment I found was the line
“Harvey Harrison did his ankle and looked unlikely to play I said ring Pendles he gets up for those types of games”
That shows how important he is still to this team.
While you could live with him having a a lessor impact during a game than in his h glory days (even though yesterday performance showed he’s still in our best 5 players most week) his importance to our future is still being written.
If he can impart some of his professionalism and work ethic into the generation next the club is well placed.
Malthouse said a few weeks ago don’t throw all your aging experienced players out at the same time today proved him important that reminder was.
Other veterans are having the odd good days or moments in games his output rarely drops below a good level then days like today it reaches the very very good level.
He is without doubt the epitome of everything that’s good about the game and our club.

On to the game
Losing WHE and then McInnes again left holes for us to fill.
Yet we kicked 12 goals (9 different goal kickers again) and held on for a gutsy win
I understand some people’s opinion of frustration in the second half but we were 2 players down and playing without the experience of Mitchell checkers Elliott as well.
The young players have slotted in well. They all had a moment today that was pivotal in the result
I really like Richard’s he’s that type of player who appears to have the ability to impact contests right when you need someone too.
Sullivan did his job applying pressure and was strong with his tackles
Hats off to Noble. He could have sulked away after being left out of the GF last year but he’s come back and is playing very well.
Also to IQ who hasn’t been at his best but that smother was vital
Lastly for mine if I was giving out an award today for this years most consistent player who does his job each week without fuss or fanfare it would go to Billy Frampton. Seriously he is just getting the job done every week. He’s getting there most dangerous forward each week and hasn’t had his colours lowered all season even when our defence has been under massive pressure at times.
We banked 4 points with good players still out injured which is important
On to next week
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:23 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Without sounding too critical, my disappointment all year has been the form of Cox. For a 7 ft player, I can only recall him taking one mark for the game. Hopefully he can improve as the season progresses.

I’m fairly confident that Mason was playing to instruction when forward to get the ball to ground for our contingent of smalls. The amount of times he went one arm up in the contest can’t have been accidental.

Or he copped an injury during the match.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 am

Grateful that we got the four points and note the following:
Should have been five goals up at quarter time- wasted ball inside 50.
Got on the burst in the second, but to the Crows credit- they fought back.
The loss of WHE at half time, then McInnes, truly inhibited our second half goal kicking power in terms of marking targets.
The Rankine goal was extraordinary and should have sealed the win for them, but a great team goal enabled us to prevail; (Watch the gather and give off by Harrison after Quaynor's smother- it was elite).
To win without the following: Mihocek, McCreery, Elliott, McStay,Howe, as well as losing WHE and Reef during the game was extremely meritorious.

As stated by others, the experience being gained in these games by Macrae, Sullivan, Harrison, McInnes, Richards and Frampton cannot be underestimated.

Looking ahead to Freo, we will lose WHE and McInnes and, most likely, regain McCreery and Mihocek so a net loss of bugger all.

Hopefully, Howe, Elliott and Mitchell will begin to filter back in soon- as well as younger guys getting their chance, it will serve to freshen up these veterans mentally for the tough games ahead.

Floreat Pica.

Hopefully

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:11 am

Due to local football commitments, I wasn't there. I got to see the last few minutes. I feel sorry for the Crows. Not!! I am happy to get the win. Sometimes you just need to win ugly. Not happy with more injuries and in saying that everyone is getting a run. Watching the replay with my coffee.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:36 am

warburton lad wrote:
^

Good summary lad. That Rankine goal was of the quality of Buddy's in the 2011 Prelim. You love to see players seize a moment (preferably not against us). While not as spectacular, we had one of our own in JDG which carried the same weight. They're actions that we carry with us 'remember that clutch goal from De Goey'.

As you point out, the experience to our younger brigade over the past weeks will prove invaluable. At young ages it's harder to stay in games mentally and physically (inparticular with 2 players down) and we witnessed that at different stages of the match.

Those meters gained by IQ and the repeat efforts saw him playing in a style that we expected from him. All going well that'll give him the confidence to once again impact games.

We held on, didn't panic and credit to the coaches, the players had a game plan to stick to.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:50 am

What'sinaname wrote:
DT wrote:
I seldom mention it but in the main the umpiring was really bad.

I disagree. In terms of umpiring, I prefer a game like this with 19 total frees than 19 frees each.
Sure, one or two strange decisions, but overall, under officiating is better than over officiating.

I'd agree, certainly less whistle and let the game flow. But I think the biggest issue is the consistency week to week. Perhaps that's where DT was calling them out. One week they're red hot on an issue, and then yesterday clear frees were missed.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 am

shawthing wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
shawthing wrote:
^

You were right behind us once again.
shawthing wrote:
Just showed our pressure rating for the last quarter. 131
That's one of the lowest on record. Are we even trying?

shawthing wrote:

Pressure rating of 131. No team wins football matches with that lack of effort.

It's sport 101, don't throw the toys because your opponent plays to the best of their ability.

So we can't attack others but you can attack me. Yeah that sounds fair Laurie!

If you think a pressure rating of 131 is acceptable you need to go back to school. But I said it was a meritorious win. But that we had a few too many passengers today. We are well and truly entrenched in the eight now, but the injury toll is going to make it hard. Let's all just hope that DeGoey is okay and the reports aren't true about delayed concussion.

You simply can’t sustain applying maximum levels of pressure for an entire game. Every team will have major swings of pressure and effort levels within the game. I wonder what the Swans pressure rating was when they didn’t touch the ball against Carlton for the first 15 mins of that game on Friday night ?
In game player management ( DeGoey admitted he played more mins than he was planned to ) short turn arounds between games ( we have our second 6 day turnaround coming up ), injuries within the game ( Hoskin Elliot and McInnes both injured ) all play a part in pressure rating fluctuations. Resting your A grade starting mid field on the bench will likely drop the pressure rating also. That 131 pressure rating was really just a reiteration of what most observers already knew, that the opposition was on top during that highlighted period. The trick is to not drop your bundle as a supporter ( or coach ) because we haven’t won every minute of the entire game of football, especially with so many injuries prior and once again, during the game.
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:42 am

Great to finish round 10 with another 4 points. It doesn’t matter how we win but it does matter how we won! Won’t repeat what everyone else has covered but gee Pendles first quarter got us going and JDG taking two mids so Pendles got the second goal that was brilliant. So many players benefited today from those little team things.

Logjam at the top of the ladder. Freo at Optus will be a tougher task next week. They win and they jump from 9th over the top of us. We win and it’s another boost towards the top 4 whilst the bombers and dees have easier games. There’s many contender match ups next week though with Dogs v Swans, Cats v Giants and Blues v Suns.even if we don’t take the points on the road his week at least we won’t fall too far given the games around us.if the dogs win over the swans, that could have a bigger bearing however.

Hopefully Beau and Titch are available this week. The loss of WHE and McInnes will be hard to replace with WHE playing a decoy tall role and McInnes on the fast lead.

Fascinating to see how we pick this week. Can Checkers come back, isn’t too early to rush him and risk losing him again? I’m not so sure on Kreuger or Johnson coming in but they’re our only tall forward options outside the 23. We already chose to keep Frampton back so can’t see Fly picking Dean until either Frampton or Moore are missing.

Let’s see if Allen is a travelling emergency next weekend?

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:55 pm

I am celebrating this win. It was an achievement of colossal mental and physical toughness. We were gassed in the last quarter. Last week, we played with no one on the bench in the last quarter. Today, for the entire second half we were a man down on rotations. This clearly took its toll. Furthermore, the players we were down - WHE and Reef - were playing key roles forward, so in the final quarter, we did not have a forward line with any recognised structure. But the will to win at any cost and never accept defeat lying down was evident in IQ's smother and the desperation that led to a chain of events where JDG ended up with the ball in the final two and a half minutes. His goal under that immense pressure should not be underestimated either.
Just a shout out for WHE. I have been watching him alot of late, and coming to understand his significance to the team. I thought that up until half time, his game had been really excellent, and was filled with trepidation when i heard that he had been subbed off due to hamstring tightness. I am starting to see why he is selected every week. His ability to play both up forward and down back, as well as his ability to be in the right place for a crucial connection of ball movement, makes him extremely valuable to our team's game plan. I hope he was subbed off before serious damage was done.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 12:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Without sounding too critical, my disappointment all year has been the form of Cox. For a 7 ft player, I can only recall him taking one mark for the game. Hopefully he can improve as the season progresses.

Overall, I'm very happy with this win.

To me, he seems to using his other arm to feel for contact of his opponent rather than going up for a mark with two hands. Almost as if he's treating marking contests as a ruck contest.

It's very weird and not really helpful. You can't be 7ft tall with bucket sized hands and be happy with 1-2 marks a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: