Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly has delivered a masterclass over the finals series. The shift in tactics, keeping the game tight and managing the tempo, and breaking away in bursts got the very best out of a thin list. Three beasts short - a CHF, another explosive mid and another star big man - yet, Fly reads the tea leaves out from the finals series.

Loses a key defender who was dominating, but had the backup tall if needed, having made the right call. Used Frampton purely structurally, limiting Harris, with Frampers even missing a couple of grabs due to not having played enough in the firsts, such were the fine margins.

Set up Bobby to hurt them over the back as much as they were going to hurt us in the same way.

Timed the run of the older mids to perfection. There were times they looked shot, yet Pendles, Mitchell and Sidey had a big finals series. Crispy and Jordy went on big runs for the club in those last few games, with Crispy lifting his kicking to elite level.

Nailed the ruck rhythm just enough, despite being short a star big man. Managed Nicky Boy to get the most out of him on the big day.

Got the most out players on the edge of the list, like Oleg, and players once on the edge of the list, like Murph.

The fine margins of being the best are reflected in the tight finishes, mastered last year. Optimally managed to bring our best players to the fore when it mattered most, for longer. Howey's return was a huge bonus, because the break put years on his legs. One of our best on return through to the cup. Looked quicker and was kicking laser passes, making lemonade from the sour lemons of the injury gods.

A coaching masterclass, on the back of a hiring masterstroke from the club, steady low-key management from Browney and the Cement Truck, absolutely optimal recruiting from Wrighty from an unfavourable cap position, and the right choice as captain.

First, Fly built the ball movement and belief. Then, he built the defensive half. Then, he refined the game management and smarts. Finally, he moved the pieces to optimise every last fraction of advantage, making sure the best players were more central to the game for longer.

The reflection will be just how much he got out of that side, from journeymen to ageing guns, even being a few explosive, dominant players short. The defensive wall and the desire and belief were, in the end, too much for the opponent on the big stage. Not once, but three times including the big one.

What a journey, with much more to come. A real whole-of-club premiership, willed on by record attendance and devotion from Pies' fans, including the good folk of Nick's. A priemiership fully deserved all round.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Magpies Nest wrote:
I haven't posted in a long time but today is as good a reason as any! My family have been lifelong Collingwood supporters, but unfortunately my sister succumbed to cancer on Tuesday of this week so didn't get to enjoy todays result. Mind you, I'd like to think maybe she had some sort of influence over the result from the great beyond! GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for your sister, I'm sure she is looking down and enjoying our sixteenth flag.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:57 pm

My god
Elated.
Was at my local brisbane pub and there were five pies supporters. I let rip as the siren blew. So bloody satisfying.
Sidey you are a legend. How many of us thought he had that in him??! I didn’t. But I will never forget it. And I want a framed picture of it.
A week of intense stress and now on top of the world.
Thank you so much Collingwood. Love you all.
Gutted for Taylor Adams. Gutted.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:03 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Anyone else care to admit they turned the TV off after that Daniher goal or was I the only soft c*ck?

Sorry boys, I let you down but I just couldn't handle the stress any longer and I'd rather watch the winning moment on reply again and again than risk the heartbreak of seeing us lose live.

That could have broken me for good.

Dreams really can come true and I've been dreaming of this moment for 23 years.

We are now the most successful club in the history of the VFL/AFL competition and once again we take our rightful place as the undisputed king of the competition.

WE ARE THE GREATEST!

I walked away from the TV couldn't handle a 2018..... But then I came back to watch JDG and Sidey do their magic!!!!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:09 pm

One thing that wasn't called live, likely because it was hard to pick the ball up, was that Sidey's goal was a barrel, wasn't it? I've watched and re-watched, looking at his hands and the trajectory, and what we can see of the ball, and I'm sure that was a torp, which would've been mentioned had the footage picked it up.

Whatever the case, no other player in the side could've pulled that out at that moment. With Jamie's kick dropping short at the other end, he read the moment, that's for sure.

Edit: Yes, 100%, that's a huge barrel! What kahunas!

Last edited by pietillidie on Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:10 pm

think positive wrote:
I’m standing here in the westpac paddock with Jezza, my daughter and friends and there us no better feeling!!

Wooohoooo

I can imagine that feeling!!!!! Wish I was there too!
TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!!!!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:19 pm

12pts collectively across 3 final wins.

Shows how close it was between ecstasy and agony.

It must be some kind of record for a side that has set records across these past 2 seasons.

Funnily enough today, the biggest occasion of them all, was the game we absolutely could have won by more and it would have been an injustice if we hadn't of won this Premiership.

We lost a key defender in the 1st quarter, we gave ourselves more opportunities in front of goal and for a long while Brisbane simply couldn't bloody miss.

Not much went wrong for them, we would have hoped more went right for us and yet they still couldn't quite beat us.

A day and a season to remember.

Collingwood 2023 AFL Premiers.

GO PIES!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:21 pm

pietillidie wrote:
One thing that wasn't called live, likely because it was hard to pick the ball up, was that Sidey's goal was a barrel, wasn't it? I've watched and re-watched, looking at his hands and the trajectory, and what we can see of the ball, and I'm sure that was a torp, which would've been mentioned had the footage picked it up.

Whatever the case, no other player in the side could've pulled that out at that moment. With Jamie's kick dropping short at the other end, he read the moment, that's for sure.

Edit: Yes, 100%, that's a huge barrel! What kahunas!

If it was a torpedo that makes it an even more incredible moment.

I didn't think he had the distance in him, he probably didn't either hence the decision to unleash the barrel.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Shame they showed such a bag angle of Sidey's goal. I would love to have seen the torp
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:25 pm

Ok am at the AIAI Centre waiting for the players to come back.

What a game. Love you pies. We beat the cheats and the team.

Go Pies.

Larabee 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:35 pm

Magpies Nest wrote:
I haven't posted in a long time but today is as good a reason as any! My family have been lifelong Collingwood supporters, but unfortunately my sister succumbed to cancer on Tuesday of this week so didn't get to enjoy todays result. Mind you, I'd like to think maybe she had some sort of influence over the result from the great beyond! GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincere condolences on the loss of your sister. I trust today may bring some bit of happiness at the end of a sad week. 👍

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:36 pm

I'm not the only Pie Supporter in the ER. I have a charger so I can just watch my phone. Going to be in here for a while. Go Pies.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:38 pm

Magpies Nest wrote:

The cycle of life that envelops the joys and sorrows. Deepest sympathies for your loss MN but I believe that she watched the game from a heavenly seat.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:40 pm

At 16, we are level with Carlton in terms of GFs won.

Essendon have won only 14 Grand Finals - 1897 and 1924 were round robin finals.

WalZ_PieZ 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:45 pm

What a day to saviour and memories to cherish forever.
Now to watch and re-watch the replay.
Sweet #16 ooooh how sweet it is.
GO THE PIES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 5 of 47   

Jump to: