Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Once Bux gets the team giving more consistent performances to the point when we can start trusting the team's output then all Pies fans will get back onboard and support him. Today's performance and the previous 2 weeks have done much to achieve that, but we have been burned too many times before that it is hard to put your faith on the line just yet. I call for Bux's head more often than not but it is only out of frustration and a desperate need to have something change to get the team going again. I want to get behind Bux and see him succeed, who wouldn't? Just bring the effort consistently, cut out the 7 goals against from the goal square crap, get 90% of our list fit and playing, cut out a lot of the avoidable turnovers, some are fine but reduce it significantly and make it fun to watch us again and I am back and so too will all of us.

MONCO: Your life.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:10 pm

It's all about the ruck guys. It's always been about the ruck. It's always going to be about the ruck. Brodie Grundy has arrived....and so has Collingwood!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:11 pm

courtza wrote:
When he has the cattle the team certainly perform. If we had the vs GWS team all year and Swanny and Elliott running round up forward I doubt this would even be a thread.
And then what happened?
courtza 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
courtza wrote:
When he has the cattle the team certainly perform. If we had the vs GWS team all year and Swanny and Elliott running round up forward I doubt this would even be a thread.

Actually it would be. Cause the gameplan was putrid from rounds 1 to 7. Had we had our best team on the park we would still have under achieved

I'll give you that but how important are having the right players on the field in good form to a coaching plan
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Fair enough mate, but mass injuries and a constant unsettled team, changing every damn week, and new guys still too get used to new team mates, does play out a hell of a lot. And I'm damned if I'm going to standby and let termites still sink the boots into Bucks, after such a tremendous win, no today, no bloody well known mate ! Cool

No doubt that injuries and lack of continuity in the team has hurt, but I think there's a mixture of reasons for our slow start to the year with this being one strand of the argument. I also think an inept game plan that has gone alterations along the way and players not putting in the required effort are also valid reasons to explain our poor start to the year and our more frequent poor performances.

I've been ecstatic that we've beaten two top four contenders in spectacular fashion (GWS and Geelong) and we should have beaten the Bulldogs had it not been for four injuries to occur in the one match, which resulted in having no bench in the last quarter and was beyond anyone's control.

However, I cannot forget our insipid performances against Sydney, St.Kilda, Melbourne (twice), Carlton (the first time) and Port Adelaide which dredged up serious concerns from myself about the direction this club had been facing at the time and I still have concerns about the massive difference between our best and worst football.

I don't have an agenda or axe to grind with Bucks. This man was my favourite player when I was a young kid and I would still hold him in the highest esteem even if he doesn't end succeeding as our coach, but I'm also well aware that he needs to be judged on results and his coaching ability, and not because of the significance he has had with the club for the last two decades.

As I said earlier, Bucks deserves the rest of the year to coach out the year and then I think it would be sensible to do a review, which should be an expectation for any strong club to conduct to make sure things are on the right track and we have the right people in charge to deliver us success in the near future.

Bucks needs to deliver next year if he stays on, which is increasingly likely if performances like today are anything to go by. I want this man to succeed, but ultimately I want this football club to become hugely successful and whether that includes Bucks or not remains to be seen.

I just get annoyed that because a few shit-shirrers seem to hate Bucks that all other supporters who have had genuine concerns about the coach and the club should be written off as "Buckley haters" or that they should go follow another club.

I can understand your frustrations from the other side, but I'd like to think we all want the same thing and that's to win a premiership in the end, but we just have different opinions on how we can achieve it.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Cam wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Cam wrote:
You mean when we had to overcome the drug scandal and wholesale changes to our side due to injuries to key players plus playing new guys unfamiliar to each other. Yeah you got a point.

Oh and change the structures and game plan yeah?

Well that would be the mark of a guy who can indeed coach, if that's true, would it not?

Hang on a second, I thought it was all about injuries and drug scandals and Derek Hines recruiting Yadda Yadda Yadda???? And it had nothing to do with gameplan or structures as it was just players giving more effort???

Are you telling me it took the coach from November 2015 (right through pre season) and the first 7 to 10 rounds for the penny to drop that his gameplan and his structures were woeful? I don't know about you but I'd much rather a coach that can get it right for more than half a season. Remember, the last two years fade outs in second half of the year. For three years he's been incapable of producing results for the majority of the 22 game season.

Lol, you should run for the Senate big fella Smile A simple yes or no would have been fine. Wink btw the way injuries to Malthouse teams killed us in 04 and 05 and we didn't make the finals, just like they derailed our chances early this season, and in 06/07 the loss of Buckley hurt us bigtime. It has been a combination of many things, you are right in naming lots of them.

I don't think our basic move the ball quickly gameplan has been much different for the whole year mind you, regardless of what jughead brown says. It changes multiples of times during a game and its not just this simple 'we do this for 100 minutes' thing. Even you would have to agree our skills have 'seemed' better as the season goes on, now is that the coaching or simply natural progression?

Or is it familiarity with our system? It took the Hawks 4 years to win a flag after their gameplan changed, and took the Cats 7. Buckley changed ours when? Well 2012 we still went MM style around the boundary, so maybe 2013? 2014? 2015? 2016?

In 2015 our effective disposal 71.8% was ranked #16 with Grand Finalists Hawthorn #1 and Fremantle #3, whilst right now after annus horribilis we are #10 at 73.7. [mind you the Swans are #18 - that might cost them the flag in the end, whilst Haw and Gee are #5 and #6] but where has that improvement come from?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Jezza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Fair enough mate, but mass injuries and a constant unsettled team, changing every damn week, and new guys still too get used to new team mates, does play out a hell of a lot. And I'm damned if I'm going to standby and let termites still sink the boots into Bucks, after such a tremendous win, no today, no bloody well known mate ! Cool

No doubt that injuries and lack of continuity in the team has hurt, but I think there's a mixture of reasons for our slow start to the year with this being one strand of the argument. I also think an inept game plan that has gone alterations along the way and players not putting in the required effort are also valid reasons to explain our poor start to the year and our more frequent poor performances.

I've been ecstatic that we've beaten two top four contenders in spectacular fashion (GWS and Geelong) and we should have beaten the Bulldogs had it not been for four injuries to occur in the one match, which resulted in having no bench in the last quarter and was beyond anyone's control.

However, I cannot forget our insipid performances against Sydney, St.Kilda, Melbourne (twice), Carlton (the first time) and Port Adelaide which dredged up serious concerns from myself about the direction this club had been facing at the time and I still have concerns about the massive difference between our best and worst football.

I don't have an agenda or axe to grind with Bucks. This man was my favourite player when I was a young kid and I would still hold him in the highest esteem even if he doesn't end succeeding as our coach, but I'm also well aware that he needs to be judged on results and his coaching ability, and not because of the significance he has had with the club for the last two decades.

As I said earlier, Bucks deserves the rest of the year to coach out the year and then I think it would be sensible to do a review, which should be an expectation for any strong club to conduct to make sure things are on the right track and we have the right people in charge to deliver us success in the near future.

Bucks needs to deliver next year if he stays on, which is increasingly likely if performances like today are anything to go by. I want this man to succeed, but ultimately I want this football club to become hugely successful and whether that includes Bucks or not remains to be seen.

I just get annoyed that because a few shit-shirrers seem to hate Bucks that all other supporters who have had genuine concerns about the coach and the club should be written off as "Buckley haters" or that they should go follow another club.

I can understand your frustrations from the other side, but I'd like to think we all want the same thing and that's to win a premiership in the end, but we just have different opinions on how we can achieve it.

Fair enough Jezza, at least with you one can have a sensible debate, and a rational discussion, unlike a few other juvenile posters around here. ! You make some good points, yes, next season is a huge year for the club and Bucks, with a good injury run, he really has to take us to finals, nothing less wil do, all things being equal. Perhaps some tinkering with our fitness dept and assistant coaches too, might be time to bring in some new assits coaches, freshen things up a bit too. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Jezza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Fair enough Jezza. As for me, I'm with Bucks all the way. Go Pies! Cool
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:47 pm

^ i think it is possible to be critical of Buckley and even to feel that he should be replaced, without being a buckley hater - and you are clearly in that non-hater category, Jezza But there are indeed some some buckley-haters who are just shit-stirrers as you said, mindless chanters who are impervious to evidence or mitigating factors.

My view is that the first half of this year, with all of the injuries, just shows that Buckley is the right man for the job. Football sides get better with continuity, experience and talent, and then time to build these into confidence. No coach can make it without those ingredients. Anyone who has played footy at any decent level understands that.

Despite being robbed of those factors in the first half of the year through injury, Nathan Buckley stayed calm, focused and immensely self-disciplined, and the tide has started to turn as the factors of success have come back. In football as in life, it is when things are going against you that you find out what people are made of, and you lay the foundations for success. I think we are on the right path.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm

I agree with Jezza. I believe we need to review the whole of the football department at the end of the season. But given we have just beaten one of the premiership favourites today there's a good chance we'll get to 9-10 wins by the end of the season. That's a pass mark for Buckley in my opinion. There are extenuating circumstances why we haven done better. Grundy started the season underdone. Swan goes down the first game while Witts does the webbing in his hand. StKilda ran us off our feet. We were underprepared for an improved Carlton side the first game. Then we had the measure of the Bulldogs side until the final quarter when injuries hit us. The Port Adelaide game we didn't bother turning up. The last three games, we turned our season around. So, if you ask me, Buckley deserves to go around next year. Doesn't mean we don't make any changes to the football department. There's lots of things we could be doing better. A thorough review should determine how we can improve.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Hang on a second, I thought it was all about injuries and drug scandals and Derek Hines recruiting Yadda Yadda Yadda???? And it had nothing to do with gameplan or structures as it was just players giving more effort???

Are you telling me it took the coach from November 2015 (right through pre season) and the first 7 to 10 rounds for the penny to drop that his gameplan and his structures were woeful? I don't know about you but I'd much rather a coach that can get it right for more than half a season. Remember, the last two years fade outs in second half of the year. For three years he's been incapable of producing results for the majority of the 22 game season.

This argument doesn't hold water for me for a couple of reasons. The first is the conceit that you, a random internet poster, can discern problems and fixes for the 'gameplan and structures' far more readily than the entire coaching staff at a professional AFL club.

The second problem is the idea that a team drilled in one gameplan and set of structures over (at the very least) an entire pre-season can adopt an entirely new gameplan and set of structures in the space of one week.

It seems far more likely that the return of key players, and the relative settling of the side over recent weeks, has combined to help the team implement the plans that have already been drummed into them.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:22 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I agree with Jezza. I believe we need to review the whole of the football department at the end of the season. But given we have just beaten one of the premiership favourites today there's a good chance we'll get to 9-10 wins by the end of the season. That's a pass mark for Buckley in my opinion. There are extenuating circumstances why we haven done better. Grundy started the season underdone. Swan goes down the first game while Witts does the webbing in his hand. StKilda ran us off our feet. We were underprepared for an improved Carlton side the first game. Then we had the measure of the Bulldogs side until the final quarter when injuries hit us. The Port Adelaide game we didn't bother turning up. The last three games, we turned our season around. So, if you ask me, Buckley deserves to go around next year. Doesn't mean we don't make any changes to the football department. There's lots of things we could be doing better. A thorough review should determine how we can improve.

Agree with this.

If we end up with 9 to 10 wins for the year, I'd be more in favour of keeping him on, but with the expectation that we play finals in 2017 assuming we had a modest injury list at best, and not one that would rip apart our whole season. I think a football department review is necessary but it should be a given that we have one every year regardless of how we perform to ensure that we give ourselves the best chance possible of succeeding.

There are signs that we're on the right track, but we've only seen them in glimpses. In my mind, we need to more consistency week to week before I can say with any level of confidence that Bucks is the coach to take us to the promised land in years to come, but as it stands I would keep him on as coach in 2017.

My doubts for him only emerged this year whereas in other years I've been a staunch defender of him despite the criticism that he has faced from others.

Last edited by Jezza on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
THE Bucks haters can now spend the rest of the week wiping all the scrambled eggs off their sorry mooshes. ! LOL Krak magic, hope you have a massive sponge too remove all the egg off your face, in particular.

Finally, a week all the Bucks doubters can now STFU. thank the Lord.!

A whole week... (golf clap).
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:54 pm

I say we Buck the Sacks.

They were wiping themselves off after the first quarter, then had to wipe off the egg after the second. Messy day for the haters.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
THE Bucks haters can now spend the rest of the week wiping all the scrambled eggs off their sorry mooshes. ! LOL Krak magic, hope you have a massive sponge too remove all the egg off your face, in particular.

Finally, a week all the Bucks doubters can now STFU. thank the Lord.!

A whole week... (golf clap).

Haha am I allowed to mention the concrete boots GWS were running around in after 1/4 time... They couldn't possibly be in a high training load preparing for finals could they?? I wouldn't dare want to take away from the great win that it was, and I hate to be the negative nelly, but if you were gonna do a hard training phase prior to finals it would be while you've got bye, pies, lions and power... Just saying
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 36 of 110   

Jump to: