Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Measured and good response.

Thanks for that, far better than rock throwing at 5 paces.

Unfortunately it's not just social media, traditional media is in on the act with views and opinions becoming more extreme on either side.

The Northern Hemisphere is where the truth of climate change impacts will come from. Their weather is traditionally far more predictable and that is where glacial periods start and finish, not here.

In the mean time, we need to get a better plan to deal with bush fires because this country was designed for them over 50,000 years plus. They're going to happen. Global warming will make them worse.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:19 pm

"Michael McCormack's tough words only confirmed his weakness"

...."Although these bushfires are not directly attributable to climate change, our rapidly warming climate, driven by human activities, is exacerbating every risk factor for more frequent and intense bushfires," wrote Dale Dominey-Howes, the Professor of Hazards and Disaster Risk Sciences at the University of Sydney, in September...."

"....Political leaders who cannot acknowledge the problem simply advertise the fact that they are not up to dealing with it....".

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/michael-mccormack-s-tough-words-only-confirmed-his-weakness-20191111-p539iq.html

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:19 pm

The deputy PM is an embarrassment & ineffectual; at times he makes the beetrooter appear sane.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Made me laugh:

"I predict the bastards (short for Morrison and his Muppets) will threaten the BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) with continuous funding and "Vertical Redundancies" unless they tow the line and stop all this silly talk about climate change and this "bush fire" thingy!

From comments in the Guardian today 12/11/2019

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Just when you thought you'd heard it all, up comes the beetrooter to take the cake:

Joyce suggests two people who died in NSW fires 'most likely' voted for the Greens

Prick is too nice a word for him.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/joyce-suggests-two-people-who-died-in-nsw-fires-most-likely-voted-for-the-greens-20191112-p539v1.html

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm honestly finding some of the point-scoring happening on social media at the moment over the fires kind of ugly. It's not that I agree with those who think we should be putting politics to one side right now – I think it's absolutely legitimate to discuss climate change and failed policy regarding it, and there's never a bad time for that – more that there seems a barely restrained glee in all the "I told you so"s coming from the left and the finger-pointing at environmentalists and Greens voters from the right, and it doesn't really seem particularly constructive.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:52 pm

David wrote:
I'm honestly finding some of the point-scoring happening on social media at the moment over the fires kind of ugly. It's not that I agree with those who think we should be putting politics to one side right now – I think it's absolutely legitimate to discuss climate change and failed policy regarding it, and there's never a bad time for that – more that there seems a barely restrained glee in all the "I told you so"s coming from the left and the finger-pointing at environmentalists and Greens voters from the right, and it doesn't really seem particularly constructive.

I don't do social media as such: no twitter, no facebook, no instagram, no whatever.

I do have email and .... Nicks!!

Although I'm avoiding housework currently Wink Having said that, isn't that what social media is for, avoidance of some sort?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:02 pm

David, it’s not meant to be constructive. It’s just point-scoring.

That said, I think there’s a qualitative distinction to be drawn between saying (from either side of the House) that “your policies are responsible for this” and saying “the dead people must have been greenies”. The former is a potential basis for political debate (unedifying and all as it may be), the latter is just disrespectful of the dead (and tends to imply that it’s their fault they died in the fires).
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Not quite sure that was what Joyce intended – though, as if often the case with him, who knows what exactly was happening in his brain that made him think it was a useful or necessary thing to say.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:27 pm

I don’t care what he “intended”. It’s the semantic consequence of what he said. It’s most regrettable.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm as far from a Greens voter as you can get and it's nothing but a c*** act to say that. He should immediately resign.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:44 pm

Wokko wrote:
I'm as far from a Greens voter as you can get and it's nothing but a c*** act to say that. He should immediately resign.

Whaddyou talkin' about?

The beetrooter is man who stands up for family values, he values families

....and taxpayer subsidies

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:53 pm

David wrote:

I completely agree, it's basically not possible to have a ciivil debate about climate change, or several other things.

As P4S said, it is points scoring from both sides, it isn't meant to be constructive, it's just nasty sniping.

On the bush fires for a moment, despite the damage and loss of life it may well be a blessing in disguise that it happened now rather than in the middle of January during an extended hot spell. It was clearly ready to burn, it was just a matter of when.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:58 pm

True,

And the prick should be sacked! How disgusting

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm

I suspect he’s been misinterpreted. Obviously it was a clumsy and stupid thing to say, but I think his clarification makes sense:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/joyce-suggests-two-people-who-died-in-nsw-fires-most-likely-voted-for-the-greens-20191112-p539v1.html

Quote:
[Joyce] told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age his criticism was directed at people - including those in his own party - who were trying to pin the blame on "greenies" or Greens voters.

"You cannot accuse people based on the party they’re in," he said. "It’s not the bloody Greens' fault. They’re the ones at Wytaliba who all got wiped out.

"The people who vote for a certain party [the Greens] are getting just as hurt and probably more so than other people."

Mr Joyce, who was fighting fire near his family's property on Tuesday, said he wanted to "punch the f--king lights out" of those people who had misinterpreted his remarks.

Tensions and emotions are running pretty high right now, understandably, and given that, someone as gaffe-prone as Joyce probably should be keeping his mouth shut at all costs. But otherwise, I do think it’s good practice to give people the benefit of the doubt and not automatically assume the worst about their motivations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 31 of 51   

Jump to: