Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DO YOU miss Chris Dawes now. ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

matrix10 wrote:
Brenny wrote:
In my opinion, I don't think we have missed Dawes.

Dawes has never been a great second tall option but as a first tall option he has been great at Melbourne.

At the time, Dawes best was the 2nd half of 2010 after he was dropped to the VFL. He came back and performed very well.

After that he was questionable. Dawes is playing his best footy since 2010.

Premiership player and life member who refused to accept he may not be best 22 each week and got offered double what he is worth to go to a club who appreciate his character more than his footballing ability

efa.

I loved dawes-his grand final (replay) was one of the best 10 possession games you will see- but fact is he was next to useless from this point on.

Refused to accept he may have to actually earn his spot.

Attitude like this explains why his law degree is from Vic Uni and not Melbourne/Monash

Hahaha lol wtf? Do you have a law degree?

Seems like a great bloke, plenty of heart, really wish we had kept him. Always wish him well

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:47 pm

Can't share the love, unfortunately. Was set a challenge to improve himself with our recruitment of Lynch (not a tall order in hindsight) but instead of rising to meet that challenge he spat the dummy like a big sook. He was in the right place at the right time in 2010 and got found out big time once Brown left, Jolly was deteriorating and Wood was giving us nothing. He'd be handy now only because Reid has been out all year, Lynch and Hudson are injured and both Witts and Grundy seem to have hit a bit of a wall. Doesn't say much about his value imo.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:26 pm

No.

Must be time for a Danny Stanley spilt milk topic.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Donny wrote:
No.

I was thinking a James Podsiadly thread first.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:34 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Donny wrote:
No.

I was thinking a James Podsiadly thread first.

**** that shit. Where's the Steven Johnson thread.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

2010 and before he broke his finger/hand in 2011 Dawes yes, after that no and the Dreamons can keep him
ItzyBaby 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Watching White take 2 marks at a critical stage of the match, from almost the exact same position that Dawes used to do so often, then take ages to line up before getting points, made it very clear to me, that White needs to exit the same way as Dawes, and the sooner we realize we need a replacement, the better.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:41 pm

ItzyBaby wrote:
Watching White take 2 marks at a critical stage of the match, from almost the exact same position that Dawes used to do so often, then take ages to line up before getting points, made it very clear to me, that White needs to exit the same way as Dawes, and the sooner we realize we need a replacement, the better.

I think you're a bit quick to judge. Even an elite forward like Buddy struggled early at Sydney. White still learning the Collingwood way and having a player like Ben Reid playing forward beside would certainly help. I think he's generally a very good shot on goal, 2 points and 1 OOF against the Dawks is a long way from what I'd expect from 3 shots on goal.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:43 am

Watched the Anzac day game from 2012 yesterday, and what stands out in regrds to Dawes are 2 things;

- He demanded the ball like no-one else on that team or in our current team. Certainly not Cloke, not then nor now. His leads ups to the 70-80 meter mark gave the team structure all day. Haven't seen White provide that as yet, and would wonder if he has the presence for it to ever happen. This in turn affects our structures when moving the ball off the half back line

- He couldn't mark a kindergarten spelling test; I really didn't remember how bad it was. If he had clunked 50% more marks, he would of been an absolute superstar, but his marking really was poor, for no apparent reason.

Can only suspect his hand and eye injuries really affected his confidence....but he was still demanding the ball, so maybe confidence wasn't the issue.....

Always liked him though, a shame he left, but what can u do? half a mill a year is not chicken feed

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:05 am

think positive wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
Attitude like this explains why his law degree is from Vic Uni and not Melbourne/Monash

Seems like a great bloke, plenty of heart, really wish we had kept him. Always wish him well

Lol, my thoughts too. Matrix10, did it cross your mind at all that he might have chosen Victoria University because it offered him a little more flexibility? You try doing 20 contact hours a week as a professional footballer. Laughing

And yeah, doing a law degree at one of the 'lesser' universities shows him to be a real lightweight compared to all those other AFL footballers currently getting HDs at University of Melbourne as opposed to just leaving school after Year 12.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:35 am

No - We are building a team for the future and he is part of our past

Don't get me wrong. I think Chris is a great bloke and was a real contributor to our success in 2010 but when with us he didn't continue to develop as a player.

I wish him all the best.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:39 am

no. big supporter of his and still like watching him even in new colours but it is time to move on.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:21 pm

To be fair, I think white just needs more time, if Lynch was fit, that might have put pressure on him to perform a bit more. Obviously, a priority in the next draft must be a white/dawes type, to help clokey. There must be that type at some teams now, who just cant get a game, but could do well with us, ala white again. The question is, WHO ??

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
matrix10 wrote:

Lol, my thoughts too. Matrix10, did it cross your mind at all that he might have chosen Victoria University because it offered him a little more flexibility? You try doing 20 contact hours a week as a professional footballer. Laughing

And yeah, doing a law degree at one of the 'lesser' universities shows him to be a real lightweight compared to all those other AFL footballers currently getting HDs at University of Melbourne as opposed to just leaving school after Year 12.

I LOLd at that, too. Geez, you'd hate to be Matrix10's only child!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:37 pm

matrix10 wrote:

I loved dawes-his grand final (replay) was one of the best 10 possession games you will see- but fact is he was next to useless from this point on.

Refused to accept he may have to actually earn his spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: