Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sack Buckley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
We lost to Melbourne and the druggies for gods sake that's shit

The loss to Melbourne was a shocker. The loss against the Druggies will become known as the "Pick 7 for Adam Treloar" loss.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:56 pm

^ A bit like the Kruezer Cup hey Doc?

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:57 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
^ A bit like the Kruezer Cup hey Doc?

Hopefully, Treloar wont end up an injury riddled crock!!

Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Buckley will depart if we don't make finals next year. Collingwood is not Richmond. It should never accept mediocrity.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:32 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:
Buckley will depart if we don't make finals next year. Collingwood is not Richmond. It should never accept mediocrity.

Richmond sacked many coaches in the 1980s for failing to make the finals as they "never accepted mediocrity' and look at where that got them in later years. Being knee-jerk about the coaching situation will get us nowhere unless Bucks decided to resign at his own accord.

I'm not saying Bucks isn't immune to being sacked if his coaching performance is poor and we decline further next year but I don't think the barometer of making finals or not making the finals next year should be the test of Buckley's coaching future or not.

If we're ravaged by injuries but narrowly miss the eight it would be hard to sack him but if we finish on the same wins next year with a similar percentage without a serious injury list and a game plan that is lacklustre then there's a strong argument about his credentials.

There's a window of opportunity here because I think several sides are going to decline that are currently in the top 8 including Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide (if they lose Dangerfield and don't cover his loss) and even Hawthorn possibly.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:49 pm

If we miss next year that'll be 3 straight years out of finals, something MM never coached us to.

Pert was bullish prior to 2014 of winning a flag within 3 years and if we can't even accomplish finals in that time then a call will have to be made.

Buckley said himself in 2014 that we'd be better in 2015 and better again the year after. Well ladder wise this year we weren't better at all, and that was with a pretty good run with injuries compared to the previous 3 years.

Next year has, has to be a significant improvement on the last two years. We've heard every excuse under the sun to justify why we are where we are and those excuses will not and should not cut it anymore. We know the talent is there, we know the resources are there and we sure as shit know the support is there. What we don't know is if the right head coach is there at the moment (hopefully he is).

It's time we find out and playing and winning finals is the only way to prove it.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:01 pm

This thread is still being dredged up? I think I might fish out my "Why Buckley is the right man for the job" thread from 2014. I mean seriously people, why must we keep re-hashing these sack Buckley threads?

If ladder position is the only criterion for success, then this year was no better than 2014, but there are other factors to consider. Player development, game plan development, games played and experience gained, should all be considered in the evaluation of 2015. There were some awfully disappointing results in the second half of the year, but plenty of great signs, like getting to within a few goals of top four teams and the form of our 2014 draftees.

If in 2016 we have a reasonable run with injuries and again we don't make the finals, then Buckley will be questioned. I reckon we might extend his contract for another year at least before the 2016 season anyway; the last thing we want is the scenario that played out this year at Carlton with Mick Malthouse.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Most of that was of MM's own doing.

He brought his contract status up constantly instead of just keeping his trap shut and focussing on his job. He used to media to campaign for his contract extension because of his own self centredness and insecurity and the Blues board felt like they were being pushed into a corner by someone whose performance wasn't up to scratch and the media just fed on it.

Bucks is more measured and self possessed than Mick. He wont play out his contract situation in public and will deal solely with the board. He knows his position and I think he'll be fine with letting the sides performances dictate whether he gets another extension or not. He's a clubman. Malthouse never was.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:27 pm

I think Malthouse knew he was gone the moment Geoff Walsh was moved on. He had a year to run and knew he wouldn't be renewed, but we certainly don't want that distraction next year. We've had enough distractions the last 4 years or so; time to bed down some solidity on and off the field.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
This thread is still being dredged up? I think I might fish out my "Why Buckley is the right man for the job" thread from 2014. I mean seriously people, why must we keep re-hashing these sack Buckley threads?

If ladder position is the only criterion for success, then this year was no better than 2014, but there are other factors to consider. Player development, game plan development, games played and experience gained, should all be considered in the evaluation of 2015. There were some awfully disappointing results in the second half of the year, but plenty of great signs, like getting to within a few goals of top four teams and the form of our 2014 draftees.

If in 2016 we have a reasonable run with injuries and again we don't make the finals, then Buckley will be questioned. I reckon we might extend his contract for another year at least before the 2016 season anyway; the last thing we want is the scenario that played out this year at Carlton with Mick Malthouse.

Sorry for 'dredging' up this thread Neil.

I completely agree that several factors need to come into play when you judge the coach. A professional sporting organisation like ours is surely always monitoring his performance as coach so I expect them to oversee what's going on at the moment and they're content with we're at but want to see further improvement next year.

I'm a little skeptical of whether Bucks can produce the goods in the long-term especially with our gameplan but I understand that we have a young side and these things take time to emerge and become established so I'm willing to be patient and persist here. I think we have a great set of youngsters but whether Bucks is capable of taking them to the promised land remains to be seen.

As I said earlier I don't think using a barometer of making the finals or missing the finals is the appropriate threshold to determine Bucks' coaching future beyond 2016 as other factors need to come into play and be determined before we make tough decisions.

The worst thing we can do is be knee-jerk which has the ability to set our club back if we're not careful but I have full faith that the club will be rational and sensible when it comes to important decisions regarding the coach.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Someone explain to me how I'd feel better if I was a west coast supporter.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 am

^^^ Look, by this day in 1981, I was over the moon....
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:25 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

Better get well used to it Neil. I reckon their will be plenty of such threads by the Buckley haters even if we lose a bloody practice match next year, even playing among ourselves Razz . He is on a hiding to a nothing.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:57 pm

The piss and poo win another flag, we did not lose to them in the finals, and somehow Bucks name gets dredged up ???? There are 16 other coaches who did not win the flag too, why not bring them up ??

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:07 pm

I am a Bucks fan. But we need him to lead us into the finals next year. I expect it with so much top end talent on our list. The only excuse is another run of disastrous injuries.

He must perform. The recruiters have supplied what he needs. Bucks must turn this list into something significant. He has almost all of the resources now we are about to get Treloar and a couple other players with a couple seasons under their belt. To me there has to be a measurable increase in wins, percentage, player development, capacity to last longer in the season and a place in the eight with a finals win.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
Page 22 of 118   

Jump to: