Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Which Grand Final hurt more?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is pure masochism!
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 am

It's natural and normal to judge the success of the year by the winning of the Premiership, but I reckon our 2011 team was something special.

We got to half way through the season undefeated and met Geelong. The game ended with a legitimate Pendlebury play-on goal called back, costing us victory.

Last game of the regular season having gone 20-1, we were run over by a Geelong side that actually had something to play for.

Bar one team, an undefeated season. We then limped through to the Granny with an injury depleted side that couldn't quite get it done.

I know this wasn't the original question, and although we judge by Premierships, I reckon the 2011 team is the best combination I've seen in my 50yrs, and holds up well in considering the longest winning streak in VFL/AFL history is Geelong with 23 in 1953.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 am

Which GF hurt more? 1990

Took me days to recover from the hangover

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:58 am

2018 was the worst by far. 1970 was miserable but, even though our then team was full of Collingwood greats (Thompson, the Richardson brothers, McKenna, Price, Greening etc etc etc) at least we always knew that we were beaten by a side that was also full of tremendous footballers.

Last year, we had our foot on the throat of a mediocre opponent. No Jesaulenko, no Crosswell, no Nicholls, no Walls, no Gould etc etc etc etc. We then crumbled to a below-average team. Why did this happen? It happened because our team, in turn, only had about 14 good AFL-standard players in it. It annoyed and sickened me to watch it unfolding like a slow-motion car crash.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 am

Yeah, it was like a slow-motion car crash, wasn't it? Sad
Sore loser 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am

1977! Up by 27 pts at three quarter time, lose by 27 pts a week later! Devastating loss!
eureka 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am

this post is crap the next grand final the pies are going to be in they will WIN
E 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:50 am

David wrote:
2003. I felt proud of the team in 2002 and 2018, because in both cases we'd played in a grand final nobody thought we'd make, and while it was disappointing to have lost such a close game (probably more so in 2018), at least we provided a good contest and left plenty of room for optimism. 2011 was a huge let-down, but the fact we'd won the year before made it much easier to take.

2003, on the other hand, was just a miserable day. That's one grand final that I'll never revisit under any circumstances.

this sums up my views exactly. I purposely sat myself among all the Brisbane fans that day with my boisterous father so i could enjoy their demise. We were both humbled and just gutted!!

E 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:52 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
2018 was the worst by far. 1970 was miserable but, even though our then team was full of Collingwood greats (Thompson, the Richardson brothers, McKenna, Price, Greening etc etc etc) at least we always knew that we were beaten by a side that was also full of tremendous footballers.

Last year, we had our foot on the throat of a mediocre opponent. No Jesaulenko, no Crosswell, no Nicholls, no Walls, no Gould etc etc etc etc. We then crumbled to a below-average team. Why did this happen? It happened because our team, in turn, only had about 14 good AFL-standard players in it. It annoyed and sickened me to watch it unfolding like a slow-motion car crash.

i flew 24 hours to watch the game last year and was strangely not that gutted when we lost. instead i was filled with pride at the supreme effort. I also loved just what a great brand of footy we played and that people in Melbourne were finally digging Collingwood. Far from the saddest GF in my book.

K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:07 am

E wrote:
... and that people in Melbourne were finally digging Collingwood. ...

The club is in the business of winning premierships, not getting Melbournians to dig it.
E 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm

K wrote:
E wrote:

The club is in the business of winning premierships, not getting Melbournians to dig it.

Well we are not very good at that it would seem (so maybe we should consider adjusting our goals). Sir, i know you want to be a CEO, but the janitors position seems somewhat more suitable to you unique skillset ....

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:27 pm

That, surely, is the unique skillset of football supporters - we are all entitled to demand perfection. It may that we get lumbered by our team with something less than perfection (and minds may differ on whether we want to call it, eg, "incompetence" or "choking"or merely "abject failure") - but we don't have to embrace or accept it.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:14 pm

1970 nothing else comes close, 44 points up, and we still cocked it up. sigh

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:50 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:

Well we are not very good at that it would seem (so maybe we should consider adjusting our goals). Sir, i know you want to be a CEO, but the janitors position seems somewhat more suitable to you unique skillset ....

Or we could consider changing our behaviour so that we achieve our goals. Why should our painfully obvious GF Curse be something that can't be fixed? The CEO is important, but how can he be responsible for the GF Curse? Our latest CEO has been in the job one year. The GF Curse has been going on for up to eight decades.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:10 pm

2003 - it was over by half time. Just numb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: