Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Maynard

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I don't understand those who criticise Maynard for supposed "poor disposal". He is one of our best kicks. He sometimes stuffs up simply because he is daring and trying to take the game on. As he matures, his occasional errors will become less and less. The kid is already an absolute gun.

A lot of opposition goals have been kicked directly from his turnovers the last 3 seasons. He is improving, but we have paid a price in getting games into him early.

He had the dubious honour of being 4th among rising stars in Total Clangers in 2016 with 47 in 20 games and backed that up this year with 53 in 22 games this year. Those stats are better suited to an inside mid than a running half back flanker.

He is a long (penetrating) kick rather than a good (accurate) kick.

He is slowly getting better as his DE% the last 3 seasons shows 71.8 > 74.5 > 75.1.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Maynard (Bux's pet) has the rare advantage of playing 50+ games before his 21st birthday. A bit like cricket proteges such as Ponting and Clarke he has learnt on the job and hope it's north from here.

I think Bux's pets are actually Blair and Smith, more so than Maynard.

I know I haven't been the only one on this board calling for Maynard to be shifted to the midfield, cant understand why it took to the last round to try it.

Even Bux seemed surprised by how "ready" he was, even though he is under his nose daily.

Does that tell you something?

Jpies 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I don't understand those who criticise Maynard for supposed "poor disposal". He is one of our best kicks. He sometimes stuffs up simply because he is daring and trying to take the game on. As he matures, his occasional errors will become less and less. The kid is already an absolute gun.

A lot of opposition goals have been kicked directly from his turnovers the last 3 seasons. He is improving, but we have paid a price in getting games into him early.

He had the dubious honour of being 4th among rising stars in Total Clangers in 2016 with 47 in 20 games and backed that up this year with 53 in 22 games this year. Those stats are better suited to an inside mid than a running half back flanker.

He is slowly getting better as his DE% the last 3 seasons shows 71.8 > 74.5 > 75.1.

I think that's a bit of a misleading stat. Most players with rising star eligibility don't play 20 games, and I would suggest that's because their errors would be more frequent and more costly, hence them not being ready to play. Even as a third year player, playing 22 matches is a really good effort, and I don't think they were gifted to get him experience... I've said it before, but I have him in my top 10 players in a fully fit pies list.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Top 10?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:18 pm

jatsad wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Maynard (Bux's pet) has the rare advantage of playing 50+ games before his 21st birthday. A bit like cricket proteges such as Ponting and Clarke he has learnt on the job and hope it's north from here.

I know I haven't been the only one on this board calling for Maynard to be shifted to the midfield, cant understand why it took to the last round to try it.

Even Bux seemed surprised by how "ready" he was, even though he is under his nose daily.

Maybe, just maybe, the concern was robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Langdon and sharenberg didn't come on until the last few weeks of the season and it's not like we are a club short of mid fielders.

I don't understand the fuss in getting him into the midfield.
Our biggest problem all season has been the broken link in the chain when we transition from defence to the forward line.
Maynard isn't an improvement in that area as long as you have better skilled mids on our list.
As a defender, he wins ball in the air and on the ground and has reasonable pace. I'm happy to leave him back there for a while. Just tell him to kick long when he wins the footy.
roar 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Always been a fan but he ain't the smartest player out there, and I worry that may be a permanent issue. Hopefully playing up the ground minimises the problem.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

As I mentioned before, he'd probably have the worst blooper reel of any active player in the comp at the moment. That creates impressions.

I thought he'd never be anything useful and I'm prepared to admit I was wrong about that, but I still don't see "gun" in him at all. Hey, he's proved me wrong once.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 pm

jatsad wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

There isn't really anyone I'd call Bux's pets. I don't think he plays favourites like MM sometimes did. Smith's been out of the team most of the year, so I think it's ridiculous to say Buckley's been generous to him. As for Blair, as much maligned as he is, he's generally been a fringe senior player. The problem is we didn't have anyone better, not that there was a better player being held back so Blair could get a game.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
[quote="RudeBoy"][b]I don't understand those who criticise Maynard for supposed "poor disposal".[/b] He is one of our best kicks. He sometimes stuffs up simply because he is daring and trying to take the game on. As he matures, his occasional errors will become less and less. The kid is already an absolute gun.[/quote]

As I mentioned before, he'd probably have the worst blooper reel of any active player in the comp at the moment. That creates impressions.

I thought he'd never be anything useful and I'm prepared to admit I was wrong about that, but I still don't see "gun" in him at all. Hey, he's proved me wrong once.
Whatever gave you that idea?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like Maynard but if he is an absolute gun, then that would make Andrew McGrath ( in his first year and playing a similar position ) the best footballer ever to play the game.
I'm really pleased with his output for a pick in the thirties and I'm sure he will continue to improve but I'm not convinced he will progress to an A grade player.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:22 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
The pre-draft comparisons were to Luke Hodge. And while these usually mean nothing, you can really see it with Maynard.

His kicking is great. There is the odd error but that happens to all players who take the game on, especially when young. He's been a great pick up and looks set to become a star.

Come on, this is ridiculous. If he was seriously being compared to Hodge, he'd have been a number 1 overall pick, not a second rounder.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Have been a fan of Maynard since I saw his TAC highlights reel.

He still has to do the work and put in the yards an something in his demeanour screams that he will have a fat head to deal with at some stage but if he can keep it together in that regard, we will have a weapon on our hands for another 150 - 200 games yet.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
The pre-draft comparisons were to Luke Hodge. And while these usually mean nothing, you can really see it with Maynard.

His kicking is great. There is the odd error but that happens to all players who take the game on, especially when young. He's been a great pick up and looks set to become a star.

Come on, this is ridiculous. If he was seriously being compared to Hodge, he'd have been a number 1 overall pick, not a second rounder.

As a type of player. And as I said, these usually mean nothing as they're usually comparing ordinary players to superstars.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 pm

jatsad wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Easily the DUMBEST post in the history of Nicks. bucks has played Maynard since day one when he was about the only guy who saw ANYTHING in him.

To even slightly suggest that Bucks has missed seeing Maynards potential is assinine and simply stupid.

It is clear from your post that you are ready to turn everything into a slight on Bucks, but dude, you are so far off base on this one you are still in the batters box!!!!!

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I also didnt see anything in him (other than the fact that he kicks the ball a lot like Nathan Buckley did - 60 meter lace out darts!!!). too many mistakes for mine and didnt really appreciate anything about him other than his kick.

Mea culpa. I now think he does have the potential to be an elite player in the AFL. His kicking is elite. Others said its long but not accurate.... watch more closely. His kicks forward are extremely good.

He still has to work on the clangers, but that is partly a function of his determination to take the game on.

For those comparing him to Hodge, i will say this. he is as tough as Hodge! Never takes a backwards step and finds a way to impose physicality on the game in a fair way (just as Hodge did for the past 15 years). his mongrel is a key component of any successful side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: