Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do you think AFLW will last?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think AFLW will last?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 37 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 57

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Maybe, but before something gets this much exposure it has to be better than this. Exposing it so loudly at this stage of its evolution does it no service.

Whether it lasts will depend on how much money the AFL are prepared to throw at it, and for how long. And then, it'll depend on whether it can evolve into a good game... whether the muscular development of women really allows them to play the kind of football that most of us want to watch - the high marking, long kicking, etc. I have my doubts, but good luck to the young women who want to play, and I hope it works for their sake. It is hard to enjoy what I've seen so far, but let's give these dedicated women some solidarity and try to stick with them.

Relative to what?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am

mattys123 wrote:
Staggering negativity from some.

It's great that young girls can now dream of playing for their club of support when they grow up.

Will the Women's league ever be as big as the mens? NO.

Does the womens league have to be as big as the mens to survive long term? HELL NO

The initial few years of this league will not have the quality that most want, but over time the depth in players will improve and so will the quality of play.

At the moment I'm only watching the Pies girls, but can see myself watching more games in the future when the quality improves.

It will survive long term, that is 100% certain.

Agree 100%
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:22 am

uncanny wrote:
I'm surprised there's any doubt about the women's comp lasting.
Of course it will.
Remember that most of the girls playing have had a very interrupted preparation in their formative years of footy. Most had to stop playing when they turned 14. Imagine how much better the standard will be when their pathway is uninterrupted. Remember that over 20% of Aussie rules participants is already over 20% female. It's going to grow faster now there's a women's comp on tv. The standard is only going to get better as is the length of the season longer. Most of us hanker for curtain raiser games like days of old. How about the women filling that role in the season proper. Or after the men's game for that matter (not for night games I'll grant you that)
So yeah even though we haven't won a game yet I'm glad we're their having a crack and will be for the long haul.

Well said.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:27 am

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Those playing it will enjoy it, but as a spectator sport it will fail because the standard of football is, and will continue to be substandard. It's actually embarrassingly bad. As such, it's promotion on TV is damaging the brand of women's sports.

Gees you sure are banging on this drum!
Personally I think that's a load of crap, and usually I have a hell of a lot of time for your opinion. It really was not all bad, I've seen some pretty ordinary AFL games, some with us as the pathetic team. IMO your opinion of female sport sucks, and it's not in any way helpful, young girls need sport, they need team sport.

But that's fine, you don't have to like it, just don't watch it.

Personally I'd ather watch grass grow than watch men play soccer, golf, bowls, cricket, and yet I don't feel the need to slag it off.

Cheers. Rant over

I agree, some of the play has been exceptionally entertaining. Maybe people should have had realistic expectations and maybe people should just enjoy it for what it is. Even at an elite level, both GWS and GCS showed through their formative years that you don't have to be far off for your output to suffer.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:21 am

I've seen a few people suggest shorter grounds, but is that really feasible, short of using traffic cones as goal posts?

While it's fair enough to criticise how the AFL have planned and promoted this, I really don't know that they could have done it any better. It always needed a massive amount of hype and good will to get the competition off the ground; there was no alternative if it was going to get a foothold. Crowd sizes may be an issue in year 2 and beyond, and the competition may not be able to stand on its own feet financially in the near future, but if the AFL are committed to this long-term I see no reason why it shouldn't become a permanent institution.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:10 pm

David wrote:
I've seen a few people suggest shorter grounds, but is that really feasible, short of using traffic cones as goal posts?

While it's fair enough to criticise how the AFL have planned and promoted this, I really don't know that they could have done it any better. It always needed a massive amount of hype and good will to get the competition off the ground; there was no alternative if it was going to get a foothold. Crowd sizes may be an issue in year 2 and beyond, and the competition may not be able to stand on its own feet financially in the near future, but if the AFL are committed to this long-term I see no reason why it shouldn't become a permanent institution.

I don't think they'll be longer term financial issues. There will be companies out there very keen to sponsor women's footy.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
To pull on a Collingwood jumper in the past and represent the Football Club meant that you earned that right and you became a 'Collingwood hero'. Unfortunately these girls have not earned that right.

Damned right. ! Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:33 pm

The proof will be when people have to actually PAY their hard earned to watch it, cos right now its Free. And for how much longer can it be Free ??.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
To pull on a Collingwood jumper in the past and represent the Football Club meant that you earned that right and you became a 'Collingwood hero'. Unfortunately these girls have not earned that right.

1950 called, it wants you two to come home... Rolling Eyes
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm

5150 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:

Yes, and a lowly two flags in sixty yrs is calling you, Flags for the REAL Collingwood team is all that matters ever, not these distractions. We exist to win Flags in the AFL, nothing else even comes close. Ever. Exclamation

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
5150 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:

Yes, and a lowly two flags in sixty yrs is calling you, Flags for the REAL Collingwood team is all that matters ever, not these distractions. We exist to win Flags in the AFL, nothing else even comes close. Ever. Exclamation

Don't sell us short! - its 3 flags in sixty years.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Whether you like it not, females evolved carrying babies and children, they are not built for aggression like males. [ fact taken from mythbusters ].
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Got an actual quote there, sport? Women might not be built for inflicting violence like men, but try threatening one of those babies and you'll see aggression aplenty.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:41 pm

jackcass wrote:
think positive wrote:
What will surely last is people who don't like something continuing to waste e their time talking about it! Such negativity over something that has zero effect on you whatsoever, life is too short! Will your headstone say 'I told you it wouldn't last'. But then at least that will be partly true!

Hear hear. Its seems those with least interest are those most obsessed

Well if the mods did the right thing and created a separate forum for women's football I bet only the fans would go and comment.

Collingwood BigFooty has done it and so should Nick's.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Whether you like it not, females evolved carrying babies and children, they are not built for aggression like males. [ fact taken from mythbusters ].

Tell that to the girls playing out there. A lot of things are lacking, aggression isn't one of them.

Look, anyone who thinks women and men are the same is an imbecile.

Apart from the obvious differences, the sexes have different mixes of chromosomes and different chemical and physiological makeups. All of these go to why women and men can't compete in open athletic competition equally but has nothing to do with why women can't compete against other women.

They also have nothing to do with equal rights which is a totally different topic. Just thought I'd pop that in before someone calls me a misogynist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: