Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Drug Addicts getting off Free in Court

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
I think we need to take a totally different tact on all drugs.

They should be legally available, yep, all of them. Dosages and users on a register that's continually monitored. A lot more people could be helped.

Dealers would be no more, the police would no longer need a drug squad, they wouldn't be chasing criminals who assault and rob people for money to feed their drug problem. The government would actually make millions instead of spending billions trying to win an unwinnable war.

Don't they have a system like this in Sweden or somewhere??

Skids talks sanity to a mad world! What is more, it would also help de-fund terrorism and goodness knows what else substantially.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:24 pm

Portugal.

The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:32 am

Well said, Skids.

As for putting them in the army, no thanks. Users need safe injecting rooms, health sector resources, addiction treatment programs and plenty of support with employment and social services.

The effect ice has on its addicts is terrifying (I certainly wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of someone in the midst of a meth-induced rage), but they are still as much victims of their addictions as any other kind of drug addict. Crimes committed on ice need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but the absolute number one focus has to be on support and rehabilitation.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:34 am

What if it didn't happen?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:48 am

David wrote:
Well said, Skids.

As for putting them in the army, no thanks. Users need safe injecting rooms, health sector resources, addiction treatment programs and plenty of support with employment and social services.

The effect ice has on its addicts is terrifying (I certainly wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of someone in the midst of a meth-induced rage), but they are still as much victims of their addictions as any other kind of drug addict. Crimes committed on ice need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but the absolute number one focus has to be on support and rehabilitation.

Ice is a cnut of a drug and is one I would NOT agree to making legal. It makes a mess of people while using and while trying to get clean.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:52 am

In what way?
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:11 pm

No disagreements on its effects on individuals and the rest of society, and I'm certainly not advocating putting it on the shelf at Woolies. But certain forms of legalisation/decriminalisation may be more effective than the current 'war on drugs' model, which, as Skids and others have pointed out, seems to cause more harm than good. I think it's something worth discussing.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:35 pm

David wrote:
No disagreements on its effects on individuals and the rest of society, and I'm certainly not advocating putting it on the shelf at Woolies. But certain forms of legalisation/decriminalisation may be more effective than the current 'war on drugs' model, which, as Skids and others have pointed out, seems to cause more harm than good. I think it's something worth discussing.

Meth is just another form of amphetamine or speed. Chronic users could be given 'dexis' or some other 'cleaner' form of the drug, their use could be monitored and steps to help them get off the drug be taken IE: counsellors, doctors and other professionally trained people could give them some positive guidance.

I see the other big win is cutting the dealers and manufacturers of these drugs out of the equation. I believe there would be a dramatic drop, not only in crime & violence. But also more success in rehabilitation.
To me, it's a no-brainer and steps should start to be taken as soon as possible to implement change.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

Meth is just another form of amphetamine or speed. Chronic users could be given 'dexis' or some other 'cleaner' form of the drug, their use could be monitored and steps to help them get off the drug be taken IE: counsellors, doctors and other professionally trained people could give them some positive guidance.

I see the other big win is cutting the dealers and manufacturers of these drugs out of the equation. I believe there would be a dramatic drop, not only in crime & violence. But also more success in rehabilitation.
To me, it's a no-brainer and steps should start to be taken as soon as possible to implement change.

No real disagreement with the philosophy.

Ice is just a crystalline form of meth amphetamine AFAIK, like crack was a crystalline form of coke, designed to be smoked and hit hard and quick. Ecstasy is also a form of meth amphetamine but far less potent. Like skolling a beer instead of necking a bottle of metho.

Cut the dealers out of the loop, put coke, speed and H on the available list with restrictions and quality control and you're on the way to killing the problem.

the only thing Ice does is **** people up and that won't change whether they get it legally or not.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Drug Addicts getting off Free in Court

It must be hard to be addicted to "Free".

I'm glad the courts are serving a rehab function too.

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:09 pm

^I would've thought getting off in court would at least invite a charge of contempt. Little wonder the offenders look so relieved afterwards; not only do they get off, but they also avoid staining their clean sheet. Certainly, those penalised would be feeling a bit stiff given so many others around them are getting off.

Look, I don't mind the court allowing people to get off, as long as they ask those who came earlier to clear the gallery in between petty sessions. It would be embarrassing to adhere to the court and have to ask security to pull you off because you can't get up. Aside from that, though, the court should be helping people get off rather than passing judgement on them for their shortcomings.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:54 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^I would've thought getting off in court would at least invite a charge of contempt. Little wonder the offenders look so relieved afterwards; not only do they get off, but they also avoid staining their clean sheet. Certainly, those penalised would be feeling a bit stiff given so many others around them are getting off.

Look, I don't mind the court allowing people to get off, as long as they ask those who came earlier to clear the gallery in between petty sessions. It would be embarrassing to adhere to the court and have to ask security to pull you off because you can't get up. Aside from that, though, the court should be helping people get off rather than passing judgement on them for their shortcomings.

Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: