Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brown & Frost?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Tannin Smile
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 pm

roar wrote:
^^ Fair enough point about inexperience. However, I doubt they'll ever be great kicks so I wouldn't want to play more than 2 of Tooves, Sinclair and Williams.

Got everything crossed that Williams, Frost and Sinclair can improve. Fallen over 3 times trying to walk in a yoga knot.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:46 pm

simon tonna wrote:
can't really add to that except to reiterate that brown, reid, langdon,and the white wrath should be first pick backs every week. but who's the general?

btw i like sidey playing back as well. but that won't happen has he's now an elite link type goal scorer.

Shazza will play the Luke Hodge role Simon (i.e., the maxy role played by an elite footballer). By season's end the backline will look something like this:

Frost Brown Toovs
Langdon Keefe Shazza

Reid can also go back there. I assume one of Reid, Brown, Keefe and Frost will be injured at all times so we will never have to worry about how to slot 4 of them down there.

If Toovs ceases to be the player he was, there are about 10 players to take his spot, with Williams and Sinclair being my favorites for the role because they are both fast.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Not all that interesting but anyway:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-07/case-for-the-defence

Quote:
COLLINGWOOD

Tony Armstrong: Was shifted to the rookie list so the Pies had more picks in last year's draft. The former Sydney Swan and Crow is a handy player to have on the club's list because of his versatility.

Nathan Brown: Fit again after being restricted to only three games in 2014 because of season-ending shoulder surgery. Brown will look to re-establish himself in a key position role and aid Jack Frost and Ben Reid in defence.

Jack Frost: Frost was the only Collingwood player to run out in all 22 games for the Magpies last season. The 23-year-old's ability to stand his ground and compete will be a crucial factor in the club's finals hopes.

Tom Langdon: Exceeded everyone's expectations with an outstanding debut season in 2014. Langdon has risen quickly to being one of the top intercept players in the AFL, something he hopes can continue this season.

Michael Manteit: The Magpies drafted Manteit in the rookie draft to release some of the club's more experienced defenders into the midfield. Was a favourite of Collingwood recruiter Derek Hine.

Jonathon Marsh: The speedy defender made great strides in the VFL last season before a season-ending hamstring injury late in the year. Still recovering from the injury and is listed as 3-4 weeks away from a return.

Brayden Maynard: Renowned for his precise and powerful left boot, Maynard has not looked out of place at Collingwood during the pre-season. The No. 30 pick in last year's draft is likely to push for senior action at some stage this season.

Darcy Moore: The highly-rated father-son pick suffered a setback when he injured his toe in January. The Magpies believe Moore is about a month away from a return. That timeframe is not a concern, considering Collingwood sees Moore as a long-term star of the club.

Adam Oxley: Was earmarked to fill a position across half-back in 2014 before a long-term ankle injury ruined those plans. Expected to push hard for a permanent senior berth this season and add to his two career games.

Jackson Ramsay: Has taken some decisive leaps forward and appears a more confident player. Managed two senior games last year and will look to build on that this season. His speed and versatility make him a suitable defensive option for coach Nathan Buckley.

Ben Reid: A nightmare 2014 season is behind him, but that has not stopped the persistent calf issues disrupting part of the 2011 All-Australian's pre-season campaign. Was sent to Germany to gain a better understanding about the injury from a medical expert associated with soccer giant Bayern Munich. Still up to a month away from a return.

Matthew Scharenberg: As frustrating as life has been for the No. 6 pick in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, things are starting to look more promising. A long-term foot injury and then a season-ending ACL tear have been unneeded distractions for the promising key defender. The Pies still list him out as 'indefinite' but a mid-year return is not out of the question.

Paul Seedsman: Had exploratory hip surgery in January to ease some soreness he was experiencing in the joint. As a result the rebounding defender is yet to return to training. His run and dash are pivotal for Collingwood, but a return before the start of the season is unlikely.

Alan Toovey: Had a slight setback when he nicked his calf after returning from the Christmas break, but the dependable defender is back on track. Never a high-possession getter, but his worth to the side is unquestionable.

Marley Williams: Williams' run and dare from the back half shape as critical for Collingwood this season. Took some promising steps forward in 2014 and will look to continue to improve this year. He and Tom Langdon's ability to shut down the opposition's small to medium forwards will be crucial. - Ben Guthrie

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:29 pm

No mention of sinkers !!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:43 pm

Pretty reasonable summary Swoop
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:27 pm

we can't play Frost and Brown let alone Keefe in the same backline.
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 am

The starting six in the backline for me at this stage will be;
Frost, Brown, Williams
Toovey, Ried, Langdon

Sinclair and Keefe may make the interchange and / or play elsewhere depending on form and fitness to give some more options during the game.

The replacement of Nick Maxell's role that he mastered of being the general of the backline and playing the loose man to support the key position backs will be crucial. I am willing to give Frost the opportunity to play that role but I suspect Langford has the better potential to make that his own role.

The great white hope is Matthew Sharenberg and apparently he has the skill and footy smarts to fill the Nick Maxwell role to a tee but he has a long way to go to get back to AFL fitness before we will see him able to perform that role.
The kicking skill of Adam Oxley excite me so if he is able to demonstrate some one-on-one winning form I would be pleased to see him get a role in the backline as well.

I love Marley Williams in the backline for his competitiveness and one-on-one skill. Has the speed to play on the small forwards and some good agression that we like to see in Collingwood defenders.

Toovey's strength of being able to play tall or small with his great pace and be the No. 1 stopper in the backline makes him a lock-in whilst that ability stays with him. His courage is undisputed and with these traits his lack of disposal skills can be tolerated.

Brown's ability to take on the gorilla's of the AFL makes him the first choice as Full Back but any injury or lack of form will most likely see Frost given the key defensive role.

A fit Ben Reid is all class as the CHB and his raking left foot disposal adds to our attacking capabilities coming out of the backline and in switching the play he is a key component of the backline that we missed sorely last year. The potential for him to move forward during a game is always a plus but hopefully we can get enough goals without having to move Reid forward.

Sinclair's speed and run out of the backline was a real strength for us when we were winning lots of games in the first half of the year last year and I think Bucks has a soft spot for Ben Sinclair in the team for that explosive pace that can break the lines. Hopefully Ben has learnt to steady himself before blazing away with his kicking. If he has not then he will be spendin ga lot of time running around in the VFL since there are lots of options for that spot on the interchange that he would be trying for.

Hopefully we will continue to see Lachlan Keefe's development as a footballer who prior to doing his knee was looking like a champion defender with size, speed and footy smarts. The fact they are training him in the forward line this summer says that Bucks sees enough development potential in him to take the Leigh Brown role on which is optimistic but worth giving him a chance to do it as the flexibility it adds to the team is enormous. The key will be to see Keefe take some contested marks and kick straight.

Lots of options has got to be a plus albeit may cause the selectors some headaches. Hopefully injuries don't make the decisions any easier!

Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 am

The starting six in the backline for me at this stage will be;
Frost, Brown, Williams
Toovey, Ried, Langdon

Sinclair and Keefe may make the interchange and / or play elsewhere depending on form and fitness to give some more options during the game.

The replacement of Nick Maxell's role that he mastered of being the general of the backline and playing the loose man to support the key position backs will be crucial. I am willing to give Frost the opportunity to play that role but I suspect Langford has the better potential to make that his own role.

The great white hope is Matthew Sharenberg and apparently he has the skill and footy smarts to fill the Nick Maxwell role to a tee but he has a long way to go to get back to AFL fitness before we will see him able to perform that role.
The kicking skill of Adam Oxley excite me so if he is able to demonstrate some one-on-one winning form I would be pleased to see him get a role in the backline as well.

I love Marley Williams in the backline for his competitiveness and one-on-one skill. Has the speed to play on the small forwards and some good agression that we like to see in Collingwood defenders.

Toovey's strength of being able to play tall or small with his great pace and be the No. 1 stopper in the backline makes him a lock-in whilst that ability stays with him. His courage is undisputed and with these traits his lack of disposal skills can be tolerated.

Brown's ability to take on the gorilla's of the AFL makes him the first choice as Full Back but any injury or lack of form will most likely see Frost given the key defensive role.

A fit Ben Reid is all class as the CHB and his raking left foot disposal adds to our attacking capabilities coming out of the backline and in switching the play he is a key component of the backline that we missed sorely last year. The potential for him to move forward during a game is always a plus but hopefully we can get enough goals without having to move Reid forward.

Sinclair's speed and run out of the backline was a real strength for us when we were winning lots of games in the first half of the year last year and I think Bucks has a soft spot for Ben Sinclair in the team for that explosive pace that can break the lines. Hopefully Ben has learnt to steady himself before blazing away with his kicking. If he has not then he will be spendin ga lot of time running around in the VFL since there are lots of options for that spot on the interchange that he would be trying for.

Hopefully we will continue to see Lachlan Keefe's development as a footballer who prior to doing his knee was looking like a champion defender with size, speed and footy smarts. The fact they are training him in the forward line this summer says that Bucks sees enough development potential in him to take the Leigh Brown role on which is optimistic but worth giving him a chance to do it as the flexibility it adds to the team is enormous. The key will be to see Keefe take some contested marks and kick straight.

Lots of options has got to be a plus albeit may cause the selectors some headaches. Hopefully injuries don't make the decisions any easier!

TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Frost Brown Sinclair

Langdon Reid Williams

Yep, this. Tooves, Keeffe and Ramsay next in line. Well until a Goodyear or Maynard type puts their hand up demanding a senior game.

No way williams/sinclair are ahead of tooves... Not even in the same ball park

sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:19 pm

i believe the starting back line will be

Toovey Frost Sinclair

Langton Keefe Williams

Two tall defenders and 4 fast smaller backmen able to tackle and run the ball out of defence so being attacking back men which is needed in today's football .

Speed by foot very important.

The six will be under pressure to perform as I think there are more options for their positions this year .

Reid concerns me re his injury and if he is able to get back . He is a good kick and mark so maybe better at CHF
Brown /// well that is another story that I have written about in another topic in NICKS and I believe his best was rare and thats it .

As at todays date I think there is more competition for places than i can remember .

Only the good and non injured will play and survive and many will be leaving at the end of the year and more come in as the coaches strive to get a better team and this has been going on since Bucks has tried to get a better team .

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm

TimetoFly wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Frost Brown Sinclair

Langdon Reid Williams

Yep, this. Tooves, Keeffe and Ramsay next in line. Well until a Goodyear or Maynard type puts their hand up demanding a senior game.

Tooves coming off an interrupted preseason. Don't doubt he'll re-establish himself but on what I've seen at intraclub and against the Hawks, he's currently behind Sinclair, Langdon, and Williams. Even Ramsay at this stage. That could change as soon as this Sunday. Time will tell.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:24 am

jackcass wrote:
TimetoFly wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Frost Brown Sinclair

Langdon Reid Williams

Tooves coming off an interrupted preseason. Don't doubt he'll re-establish himself but on what I've seen at intraclub and against the Hawks, he's currently behind Sinclair, Langdon, and Williams. Even Ramsay at this stage. That could change as soon as this Sunday. Time will tell.

This.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: