Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Babies on Planes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

HAL wrote:
You know what they say about those who judge other.

Do tell, I'm a judgemental bitch and a half!

By the way,your arse is too big for that flak jacket

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Will that accomplish your objective?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:14 pm

Are u still there?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Sat in a seat from LA to Melbourne with an intellectually disabled girl behind me who made awkward noises and kicked my seat repeatedly. And you know what, while i wasn't great to not sleep 14 hours, it means so little compared to the thrill she got from going to Disneyland.

So, saying people should be limited to driving holidays is a bit much when you realise that one bad flight is a part of one day of one year of your whole life.

For what its worth I've been more annoyed by adults who can't get their fat arses out of a plane seat without pulling on the headrest of my seat.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:20 pm

ronrat wrote:
I was flying on a late nigh flight from Nadi to Melbourne and it was half full. I had 3 seats to myself and the row in front was empty. 20 minutes into the flight a couple with a very young baby dropped the bassinet into the seats in front and one said "Good, if he cries the hostie can look after her and we can continue sleeping". After they left I alerted the Hostie to what had happened and she was less amused than me. She walked up to the pass engers and in a lous voice. "Excuse me, are you the couple who abandoned their child 10 seats away. Well not only is it inconsiderate to other passengers it won't work. Your baby is travelling free. I have no obligation to pick him up, change his nappy, wipe away his vomit or calm him down. I have to serve breakfast to the other passengers in a few hours and I don't think they want their meals contaminated by baby poo, baby sick or dribble. Take your baby back to your seat NOW".

But in the OP a business class passenger doesn't have any more rights than economy.

On a flight to Barcelona I had a woman try and hand me her baby with a request that I look after it for a little while whilst she got some sleep.

Without thinking I blurted God No - and copped a mouthful for being selfish!

Of all the people to give your baby to I am not the one - haven't got a maternal bone in my body and wouldn't have a clue what to do with one Shocked

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Sat in a seat from LA to Melbourne with an intellectually disabled girl behind me who made awkward noises and kicked my seat repeatedly. And you know what, while i wasn't great to not sleep 14 hours, it means so little compared to the thrill she got from going to Disneyland.

So, saying people should be limited to driving holidays is a bit much when you realise that one bad flight is a part of one day of one year of your whole life.

For what its worth I've been more annoyed by adults who can't get their fat arses out of a plane seat without pulling on the headrest of my seat.

Oh god yes! And also when they are next to you and their fat arse hangs over to your seat!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Morrigu wrote:
ronrat wrote:
I was flying on a late nigh flight from Nadi to Melbourne and it was half full. I had 3 seats to myself and the row in front was empty. 20 minutes into the flight a couple with a very young baby dropped the bassinet into the seats in front and one said "Good, if he cries the hostie can look after her and we can continue sleeping". After they left I alerted the Hostie to what had happened and she was less amused than me. She walked up to the pass engers and in a lous voice. "Excuse me, are you the couple who abandoned their child 10 seats away. Well not only is it inconsiderate to other passengers it won't work. Your baby is travelling free. I have no obligation to pick him up, change his nappy, wipe away his vomit or calm him down. I have to serve breakfast to the other passengers in a few hours and I don't think they want their meals contaminated by baby poo, baby sick or dribble. Take your baby back to your seat NOW".

But in the OP a business class passenger doesn't have any more rights than economy.

On a flight to Barcelona I had a woman try and hand me her baby with a request that I look after it for a little while whilst she got some sleep.

Of all the people to give your baby to I am not the one - haven't got a maternal bone in my body and wouldn't have a clue what to do with one Shocked

My first reaction was I'd say that too!

But gees, was she in a state? Why would she do that? Pretty sad.

(She had no reason for calling you selfish though, that shits me, making it your responsibility, handing you the guilt, that's just wrong)

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Morrigu wrote:

It's the gypsy airline scam. They throw you the baby and as you reach to catch it, they take your wallet, phone and watch and all of your bags.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:12 pm

I vaguely wondered which public health official was making a slow-news-minute statement when I glanced at the headline, Rabies on planes. Then I looked at it more carefully,thought about it ... and ... on the whole, I think I'd rather have the risk of rabies.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Morrigu wrote:
ronrat wrote:

With some vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper and a large pot of water you could make a more than decent soup.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:

With some vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper and a large pot of water you could make a more than decent soup.

Well that just proves my point - as I don't eat meat anymore I wouldn't have a clue what to do with one!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Bloody vegetablarians,
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:15 am

1061 wrote:
David wrote:
1061 wrote:
Is there any reason to take a young child on a Plane or Bus for a long trip when you could drive to the destination with planning and a little discomfort.

I can't imagine many situations where that would be possible. For instance, our flight was from Melbourne to the Gold Coast. How long would that take to drive, maybe two days of eight-hour drives plus overnight stays and then the same on the way back? We only had a week off, and weren't really that keen to spend four days of our seven-day holiday on the road with a baby, just so other plane passengers could enjoy two hours worth of silence.

The other lifestyle choice is to not go to the Gold Coast or where ever and stay local to your home!

That certainly would have been my preferenceunfortunately, that's where the in-laws live. Anyway, in the end, it was good to be somewhere different for a short time, and Ingmar did really well.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:53 am

This is the rudest and meanest thing I have ever done, you have been warned!

I was on the plane coming back from the Gold Coast last year.

I had 3 seats to myself and about 10 rows back was a woman on an isle seat with a new born.

The air lady thingy ask if she could put her next to me, I out right said "yes I do mind and no she can't sit here".

In the end they moved her down the front of the plane - I was told they moved and air marshall?? (I didn't think we had them) who had 3 seats to himself.

Best move I made! The infant cried and screamed the whole way from Coolangatta to Melbourne!

Best part was, when she got off the plane people offered to help her get stuff from the lockers above and around her. When I walked down the front I did hear people comment that she didn't even say please, thankyou or even drop a smile.

I don't regret it, but I feel pretty bad about it.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:02 am

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
I'm always torn, and I usually end up erring on the baby's side and suffering through it!

On one trip to South Korea I endured repeated, hard kicks to the back of the seat all flight because the father just couldn't control his kids. The poor bloke was trying to do his best and the kids were hyperactive little blighters, so what could I do? Make the bloke feel like crap when he clearly had no hope?

If the plane is not full you could always look for vacant seats and slip away without causing offence by pretending you're going for a walk or whatever.

Budget airlines presumably mean budget flight attendant supervision, too. Ideally, they should be on the lookout for such things and try to alleviate them.

Using Starbucks as a playground is quite a different matter, though Mad

If the kids were big enough to reach to kick the back of your seat, they should know how to behave for a reasonable amount of time. Calls for distractions, colouring books iPad, whatever. And if that don't work, threaten a smack! And then yes, smack!

I find the kicks more annoying than the crying, and yes I say something if I'm getting kicked same as at the footy! Crying babies drive me to distraction in the supermarket, airplanes, wherever, but if the parent is doing their best to appease the child fair enough, but so many parents these days don't seem to notice it! I judge parents who are doing nothing to appease the situation. Coming back from Hawaii there was a heap of little kids, only one baby cried a bit,but it wasn't bad, all the parents had thought ahead, they had enough distractions, same as I used to do. In fact I still do! iPads, a book, if there is no telly! I remeber one of mine screaming on landing one time, because her ears hurt, but people could see we were doing our best to help her.

Asking parents to stay home is a bridge to far, but certainly there is an expectation, as in a restaurant, shopping centre, that reasonable consideration will be given to others on the plane.

Me I just wear ear plugs and up the volume! I love to fly. I don't let it get too me!

I guess I also err on the side of patience because I don't have kids, so I'm extremely hesitant to judge! I run out of gags after about 15 minutes of keeping a child occupied, so I suppose I feel I can't judge someone who has to do it day and night!

And I guess that comment even shows I don't get it! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: