Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies to play home games in SYDNEY?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we played Fitzroy in Sydney in the early part of last century, circa 1907, and I think we won that. Not sure if it was our home game though.

As for the other 'home' game, we may have played a game there in the 50's when the VFL had a round when teams played all over the place.

Still, not sure if these were 'home games', as our friend up in New Mexico suggests though.

Since South Melbourne was transferred to Sydney, I am pretty sure we have not played a home game in Sydney, though the first time we went to play South in Sydeny, there was a lot of hoopla in the press, but we lost by 3 goals.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:43 am

A couple of things to note:

a) I don't believe Eddie is quoted anywhere as saying we should move home games to Sydney. I'm sure even Eddy isn't game to try that one at an AGM.

b) Quote: "Swans officials admit they have invested an enormous amount of time and money developing the game in western Sydney." Not their bloody money they haven't. Typically ungrateful bastards.

c) PeterWH. I shout you admission to the 'G and show you where to park within walking distance, no problems. You've been away a long time mate.

d) Is it just me, or is this Eddie versus Colon-less thing starting to look like its just got up for the media? Its very Lawry / Greig if you ask me.

"I am disrespectful to scum! Can you see I am serious!"
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:24 am

Funny how they built a 110,000 seat stadium and then have to knock off about 40,000 seats because they cannot fill it....how embarrassing...I have been saying for a long time that only the MCG will be big enough for the Pies.....

This is basically a media stunt to ensure the COLL V SYD match in R21 is packed...I'm going, should be fun....I have been there before...But one thing is certain....once the match is over I can't wait to get back to Melbourne...the home of everything that is good....including collingwood

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Millane42 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:37 am

Bring it on i say!

We can beat the Swans anywhere - melbourne or sydney. It would be great to see Collingwood every year in sydney. We haven't had a game with the pies up here since 2000 (and i was in the UK at the time when Rocca kicked the winning goal). The last time i saw them was when Plugga kicked his record goal in 1999 (you can see me running on the field - 42 pies jumper - if you slow the tape down). So why not play just the swans as a home game in sydney like the pauperoos used to?

collingwood usually plays around 16 games in melbourne a year and most at the MCG, so one game up here to satisfy the die hard collingwood supporters in sydney can't hurt. plus it would help promote the game as they would be guaranteed a decent game!

"Grinners are Winners.."
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:19 am

no youve missed the point, HOME games at HOME. and thats the way it should stay.

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
PieClive Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:43 am

Would love to see more Collingwood games in Sydney - easier for me to get to - but a home game should be played at the G.

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:59 am

CQ......go change your daipers and stop having a dummy spit.

There is a big article in the Dalty Telegraph today with a MASSIVE write up on the PIES,it says in short'THE BIGGEST and arguably the most famous sporting club in Australia,COLLINGWOOD always raises opinion when spoken aboutin football circles.Runner-up to teh Lions in 2002,the Magpies exceede all expectations.Now coach Mick Malthopuse is looking to take the next step in 2003.You can welcome the team to Sydney by attending the training session.The Magpise will return to TELSTRA STADIUM for round 21 clash against the SWANS'
There is a full page in the Telegraph today advising on what the PIES will and wont be doing.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002.
We missed 2002 but theres always 2003
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:58 am

daipers? since when were we in america, or maybe its just sydney thats in america.

dont u get it? you seem to think you have a god given right to see collingwood play home games up there, but its not their home so you dont.
melbourne is their home so its us in melbourne who have the god given right to see them play their home games at home!

i think youre the one who needs to get over it, cos i sure am!

TARKO TARKO MAN!
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:54 am

How about this deal:

11 home games at the G and 11 away games in Sydney.

Within 2 or 3 years there would be no more Swans. While their fickle crowds drop away by the week, we'de build on our already existent supporter base. We would change the face of footy and really show the RL mob how it's done. Eddie would out rate their version of TFS because they'd all be clamoring for Collingwood news on our club corner show. They may even end up with the H/S, or Collingwood Daily, outselling their silly papers that still think RL is news.

If the AFL really want to market the game in Sydney then the failed Sydney experiment should be revisited. Give us a crack at it.

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 03 February 2003).]
PieClive Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:43 am

President Ed has posted on the FTO site on this topic.

It suggests there will be an expansion to tap the Sydney market - then the world ! More news to come.

He points out that Collingwood has been able to arrange 18 games in Melbourne at the G or Colonic (whatever) with facilities for supporters.

I have total faith in our administration doing the best for the Collingwood Army.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:54 am

Mark T,

11 away games in Sydney????

Against whom, pray tell?

Where are you going to find 10 clubs besides Sydney dumb enough to want to play their home match against us in Sydney?

Kangaroos, maybe ... Bulldogs, maybe ...

Until such time as there are 11 clubs in Sydney that idea is preposterous. Sydney can barely support one club, let alone 11. Sydney based fans who want to see the Pies on a regular basis need to move to Melbourne. Simple. It's a choice you make in life.

Life is full of such choices. Where you work. Where you live. Who you barrack for. Who you pray to. Who you have sex with.

And, as Aldous Huxley once said, "You can't play electro magnetic golf according to the rules of centrifugal bumble-puppy".

Simple, really.

Collingwood is a Melbourne-based Club.

GO HARD OR GO HOME
Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" http://alf.magpies.net
Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:29 am

My point is DrALF that Collingwood could benefit from playing 1 game a year in Sydney guaranteed. At the moment we get to see them maybe every 2nd or 3rd year. They can draw a big crowd, get extra members from Sydney signed up, do footy clinics for the all important younsters being introduced to the game, get the profits from the game up here and at least we could get a decent game once a year.

The pies play around 16-17 games in melbourne a year, so you guys get to see 11 home games plus 5-6 "away games" at the MCG. So why not play the "away" game in Sydney one year and then play the "home" game in sydney if we do not play the swans twice a year? if we do play them twice a year we would only play the "away" game in sydney.

Definition of Genius:Syd Barrett
Definition of Moshpit:Grinspoon
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:56 am

maybe every second of 3rd year? more like every second year definately and maybe every year depending on how many times we play them.

you just want to see them more yourself, u dont give a rats about 'footy clinics' etc. sorry but if they want footy clinics they can either barrack for sydney or move down here!

when u decided to barrack for a melbourne team u knew that u wouldnt see them often so dont go crying poor now!

TARKO TARKO MAN!
Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:14 am

hey CQ

it's not "definately" it's actually "definitely" without the "a".

The last Collingwood game versus the Swans was in 2000. This year it is 2003 and they are scheduled to play the Swans at Telstra Stadium. This equals 3 years. All I'm advocating is a desire to see them once every year (ideally they will play the swans home and away every year - but with an unequal draw that seems an impossibility). So an improvement would be every 2 years up here but even better would be every year up here.

What's with the attitude anyway? I live in Sydney and go for Collingwood. I travel down once a year to melbourne to watch a game, sometimes (like last year for the carlton game and the GF) I came down twice. I'm not complaining about not seeing all the home games, I wouldn't want to live in Melbourne. And that is nothing against your city because I like it alot, I just prefer the beach culture in Sydney and going for a surf every weekend. And of course I'm being selfish! You are right - I want to see them as much as possible!

Definition of Genius:Syd Barrett
Definition of Moshpit:Grinspoon
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:30 am

hey millane42, its A LOT not 'alot'

so stick that up your arse, mr SPELLING!

TARKO TARKO MAN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: