Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

shame they didn't this time. Good people died too.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:59 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I suspected this might have been the case. An unavoidable tragedy, perhaps, but hopefully there will be an official inquiry.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/11/lindt-cafe-siege-victim-katrina-dawson-was-hit-by-police-bullet-reports-say

And what perchance would you see resulting from that inquiry?

Your so polite, my immediate thought was , oh **** off. Seriously? You think that's necessary? You don't think the cops don't have enough PTS from the whole thing? Do you need a name on the bullet and an apology? FMFD

Some people were questioning the wisdom of the police response in the aftermath. I think a few of us here wondered out loud if they should have held out longer/tried more negotiation tactics, and whether—given that they were dealing with a lone gunman—flooding the area with police officers exacerbated the situation.

All very well to take potshots from afar, I know, but if these reports are true then the fact that one of the two hostages who died was killed by a police bullet should be sufficient reason for a review of procedure. Not so someone can be named and shamed—that's not my angle here at all—but so things can be done better if (god forbid) a situation like this happens again.

Surely you'll agree that, when the stakes are high, there's no harm in at least asking questions.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Real life ain't like the movies I'm afraid.

Most likely a ricochet that stuck here from what I read.

Just plain bad luck.

P.S-It has been well reported that Mad Manis had stopped communicating with negotiators for a number of hours in the lead up to the police storming in.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Absolutely no harm in asking questions. They could ask why they took so long to go in as well.

No0ne of us ( I assume) have experience in these kind of hostage situations, so any commentary basically has the same validity as a bunch of athletic no hopers commenting on how professional athletes should play their game.

If one person died as a result of a Police bullet ricochet, with due respect you'd take that because 20 people got saved. I think I read that 4 people died in the French Situation as a result of Police fire. Our boys seem to be doing pretty good comparatively.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Absolutely no harm in asking questions. They could ask why they took so long to go in as well.

No0ne of us ( I assume) have experience in these kind of hostage situations, so any commentary basically has the same validity as a bunch of athletic no hopers commenting on how professional athletes should play their game.

If one person died as a result of a Police bullet ricochet, with due respect you'd take that because 20 people got saved. I think I read that 4 people died in the French Situation as a result of Police fire. Our boys seem to be doing pretty good comparatively.

Not sure where you read that the gendarme killed the four hostages in France.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Not sure where you read that the gendarme killed the four hostages in France.

Neither am I. If it's wrong I'll happily withdraw the remark.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:08 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I suspected this might have been the case. An unavoidable tragedy, perhaps, but hopefully there will be an official inquiry.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/11/lindt-cafe-siege-victim-katrina-dawson-was-hit-by-police-bullet-reports-say

And what perchance would you see resulting from that inquiry?

Your so polite, my immediate thought was , oh **** off. Seriously? You think that's necessary? You don't think the cops don't have enough PTS from the whole thing? Do you need a name on the bullet and an apology? FMFD

Some people were questioning the wisdom of the police response in the aftermath. I think a few of us here wondered out loud if they should have held out longer/tried more negotiation tactics, and whether—given that they were dealing with a lone gunman—flooding the area with police officers exacerbated the situation.

All very well to take potshots from afar, I know, but if these reports are true then the fact that one of the two hostages who died was killed by a police bullet should be sufficient reason for a review of procedure. Not so someone can be named and shamed—that's not my angle here at all—but so things can be done better if (god forbid) a situation like this happens again.

Surely you'll agree that, when the stakes are high, there's no harm in at least asking questions.

I still resent your asking for it because you so often bag the cops, and yet don't question the criminals, it ain't their fault after all, no free will and all that.

Did they do the right thing?

No, for mine they should have put a bull it through his head the first chance they got that red dot on him. But then did he have a bomb? Or were there others waiting in the wings?

But questioning the cops actions BECAUSE a hostage got caught in friendly fire when this dick has shot someone already? Absolutely not. They have suffered enough

Last edited by think positive on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Yep. Even less than that, actually. At least most athletic no-hopers have played the game at some (low) level, or played some other game vaguely similar, or at very least watched a few games at some time in the past. Where here, none of us have ever even "watched the game", so to speak, let alone played it at any level.

An event like this, you always do an after-action study no matter what the result. What happened? What decisions were made? What went right? What went wrong? In hindsight, what can we do to improve our response to some other similar event in the future? What could we have done to prevent it in the first place? These are all valid questions and they should always be revisited whenever something like this happens (and at other times as well). This has nothing to do with the result, you ask these questions and seek to improve anything you can improve regardless of the result. Maybe everything went perfectly and no-one got hurt, maybe it was a complete chaotic disaster. Doesn't matter: you ask the questions and you try to learn everything you can from them.

One little PS: hostage situations come down to, essentially, a two-way choice. Do we talk our way through them or do we shoot our way through them? Neither answer is right all of the time, it's a matter for judgment depending on the circumstances, and the circumstances can change from moment to moment. Either way, the thing can go badly wrong. You just don't know what the outcome will be in advance, and you have to make the best call you can. There is no guarantee of a perfect result: you make your choice and you get what you get. Tough job!

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Tragic outcome regarding the death of the hostages. No win situation for the Police, as these types of incidents are, when they wait some people ask why are they waiting and when they make the difficult decision to force entry and resolve the standoff some people ask why did they wait so long...not surprisingly often it's the same people ask both questions.
Hopefully the family, loved ones and friends of the deceased are at some point able to find some peace with their tragic loss.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 am

Fred Nile has an ... interesting opinion on these matters:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/14/fred-nile-says-male-hostages-who-fled-sydney-siege-dont-deserve-bravery-awards

While he may have a point that someone can be a hostage without necessarily being 'brave', it's a good deal braver to successfully escape from an armed gunman than it is to spend your entire political career beating up on minority groups and basically being a colossal turd.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:47 pm

David wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/14/fred-nile-says-male-hostages-who-fled-sydney-siege-dont-deserve-bravery-awards

While he may have a point that someone can be a hostage without necessarily being 'brave', it's a good deal braver to successfully escape from an armed gunman than it is to spend your entire political career beating up on minority groups and basically being a colossal turd.

I agree escaping from an armed gunman take an element of fear, obviously, but also the guts to make that move in the first place. It'd be a lot simpler to sit/stand there and hope you'll be Ok but it takes courage to move a risk injury or death to try and ensure your safety. In saying that I don't believe it's in the spirit of the Bravery Award to give those that escaped one, nor do I believe the Police involved warrant them either and I don't like the idea of our wanker PM using this tragedy to hand out Bravery Awards en mass just to get some good press.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

If you can hand out father of the year and Australian of the year awards to sportsman willy nilliy, then give the cops bravery awards. Every situation is different, but it sounds as if certainly a few of the hostages at least did some mighty brave stuff
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 pm

I am not sure about your hypothesis. How old are you? A contest to see if a computer can pass as a human.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm

OEP wrote:
David wrote:

I agree escaping from an armed gunman take an element of fear, obviously, but also the guts to make that move in the first place. It'd be a lot simpler to sit/stand there and hope you'll be Ok but it takes courage to move a risk injury or death to try and ensure your safety. In saying that I don't believe it's in the spirit of the Bravery Award to give those that escaped one, nor do I believe the Police involved warrant them either and I don't like the idea of our wanker PM using this tragedy to hand out Bravery Awards en mass just to get some good press.

That's a good point, I have to admit. To some extent, this is just Abbott milking the tragedy for all it's worth.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:50 pm

think positive wrote:
If you can hand out father of the year and Australian of the year awards to sportsman willy nilliy, then give the cops bravery awards. Every situation is different, but it sounds as if certainly a few of the hostages at least did some mighty brave stuff

Just because one award has become political doesn't mean we should allow another award to go down the same path. The police were doing their job and nothing I've heard to date would indicate any of them went above and beyond the call of their duty. I agree regarding the hostages and believe all of them were courageous in their own way, I'm simply saying I don't believed those that escaped warrant Bravery Awards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22   

Jump to: