Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gayle BANNED from future bash seasons.

Sorry but this is YET AGAIN political Correctness gone bloody mental. WHY cant these PC wankers get a balance between life and attempted humour? OK, so he was criticised, vilified, warned, fined 10k and was told in no uncertain terms that this type of banter no longer happens in the fun police run country of Australia. Point taken, albeit with a huge laugh.

But to BAN him from all future seasons??

WTF? Over reaction much by the femi nazi's and the skirt wearing man brigade?

Where is the old adage of giving all people a fair go, especially where such behaviour is regularly accepted and seen as a bit of halmless fun in countries like the West Indies and even Sri Lanka?

Please tell me my beloved Australia hasn't lost all it's sense of being a larrikin because in that case, I'm a dead larrikin walking....

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:24 am

Lazza wrote:
Gayle BANNED from future bash seasons.

WTF? Over reaction ....and the skirt wearing man brigade?

......._________________
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesnt meant that you arent headed for glorious sunshine!

I can assure you my legs are pretty good. Despite being long & hairy the calf muscles are getting back the definition of old, the thighs have far too much lactic acid & you can't tell whether I've got varicose veins or not.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:04 am

C'mon WTP you have to admit, the ban is just crazy!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 am

think positive wrote:

It is funny how people who say that they are not PC suddenly have the urge to act in the opposite manner..... Rolling Eyes

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Interesting, in a reaction to the over the top shrieking, a new hashtag #standbygayle has been trending on twitter. Almost every tweet is being treated by the shriekers as they would treat a neo nazi comment or something advocating child rape, with hysteria and insults. Wow. Shocked Rolling Eyes

FWIW I agree with most of this article.

Quote:
AS the outrage over the Chris Gayle saga enters its fifth day and the weapons-grade hysteria reaches atomic levels, a strange phenomenon has materialised.

The disproportionate backlash to Gayles sleazy display has seen the cricketer emerge as a victim in the eyes of many.

Rational folks are scratching their heads wondering how a seamy remark made during an awkward interview can result in such an overblown reaction.

What Gayle did was wrong; it was clear that Channel 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin was not receptive to his flirting and the exchange was cringe-worthy television but the backlash is completely disproportionate.

Many who were initially disappointed by Gayle are now wondering how a clumsy pick-up line can result in a player being condemned, fined $10,000 and all but banned from the Big Bash League.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/rita-panahi/chris-gayle-big-bash-league-hysteria-turns-an-idiot-into-a-victim/news-story/f80bfa4a3dcc44442fae0f7548bb898a

If it's paywalled I'll post the rest, let me know.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:05 pm

think positive wrote:

I agree. Too lenient Wink

To be sure I've barely had time to follow it. Social media for you. I don't have twitter, Facebook, etc but have email Wink

I agreed with Mugwump & think he should be taken to task. No one should treat anyone like that.

I also agreed with Neroli Meadows (despite her first name) & the brief spiel I saw on News 24 ABC of Gerard Whatley whom I have a lot of time for. But that's about the extent of my knowledge of what's been going on

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:19 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

I agree. Too lenient Wink

To be sure I've barely had time to follow it. Social media for you. I don't have twitter, Facebook, etc but have email Wink

I agreed with Mugwump & think he should be taken to task. No one should treat anyone like that.

I also agreed with Neroli Meadows (despite her first name) & the brief spiel I saw on News 24 ABC of Gerard Whatley whom I have a lot of time for. But that's about the extent of my knowledge of what's been going on

Put it this way, if it happened in a normal workplace and a complaint was raised, given the context, he'd be pulled aside, told it was inappropriate and why, not to do it again and that would be the end of it unless it happened again. mediation maybe, apology recommended (which was already given and accepted in this case)

Utterly fkn hysterical over reaction.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Yup
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 pm

These people always feel the need to be seen to be doing something, I guess. What are the chances the 'role model' argument got wheeled out at some point. Rolling Eyes

We certainly do live in an age of storms in teacups.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:56 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Yes please

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Put it this way, if it happened in a normal workplace and a complaint was raised, given the context, he'd be pulled aside, told it was inappropriate and why, not to do it again and that would be the end of it unless it happened again. mediation maybe, apology recommended (which was already given and accepted in this case)

Stui, the escalating issue is that it was so public. If it were done privately in the workplace, it'd be a word in the ear and maybe a warning. But done in public before thousands, while someone was trying to do their job and would reasonably be expected to suffer embarrassment ? No way. Serious breach.

As Morrigu pointed out I have not seen the context, and it seems it was very informal. But what he did was plain stupid and something that female journalists should not have to put up with.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:54 am

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Stui, the escalating issue is that it was so public. If it were done privately in the workplace, it'd be a word in the ear and maybe a warning. But done in public before thousands, while someone was trying to do their job and would reasonably be expected to suffer embarrassment ? No way. Serious breach.

As Morrigu pointed out I have not seen the context, and it seems it was very informal. But what he did was plain stupid and something that female journalists should not have to put up with.

Take the time to watch it and get the context. yes it was public and inappropriate etc, but she dealt with it and put him back in his box. he wasn't smart enough to realise that but anyone watching was, so the only one who should have been embarrassed about the exchange was him, not her.

No arguments that she shouldn't have to put up with that but she dealt with it, didn't feel upset, hurt or intimidated, just angry. That's why I say the behaviour needed to be addressed but that the reaction was way over the top and hysterical.

personally I think at least part of the over reaction was caused by his reputation as a misogynistic playboy, he was a walking target. He needed to be slapped back into line but not like this.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:57 am

You seem pretty sure about that.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:00 am

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yes please

here's the whole thing. I didn't really see the need for the tangent at the end but the first part I pretty much agree with.

Quote:
AS the outrage over the Chris Gayle saga enters its fifth day and the weapons-grade hysteria reaches atomic levels, a strange phenomenon has materialised.

The disproportionate backlash to Gayles sleazy display has seen the cricketer emerge as a victim in the eyes of many.

Rational folks are scratching their heads wondering how a seamy remark made during an awkward interview can result in such an overblown reaction.

What Gayle did was wrong; it was clear that Channel 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin was not receptive to his flirting and the exchange was cringe-worthy television but the backlash is completely disproportionate.

Many who were initially disappointed by Gayle are now wondering how a clumsy pick-up line can result in a player being condemned, fined $10,000 and all but banned from the Big Bash League.

The self-proclaimed universe boss will be effectively banished from the competition next season with reports that Cricket Australia, which approves the contracts of all international BBL players, will block teams from signing the Jamaican.

Its clear that CA has abandoned good judgment in deciding to ignore mainstream opinion and instead pander to the shrillest sections of the media.

Predictably, the Social Justice Warriors of the Twittersphere have worked themselves up into a rich lather of indignation over Gayles conduct.

There is now a Stand by Gayle campaign. Picture: Getty
Even Channel 10, the station that pits liquored-up ladies against each other for the amusement of The Bachelor audience, is suddenly preaching about respect and responsibility towards women.

Its a different tune from the network whose commentators initially snickered like schoolboys after the exchange between Gayle and McLaughlin, and smirked earlier in the evening that the big-hitting batsman may have sustained a groin injury from overuse.

The stations 2014 coverage of the BBL involved at least one incident in which a Ten reporter actively encouraged cricketer Dwayne Bravo to flirt with McLaughlin.

Youve got a special message for one of our commentators? the male interviewer asked the West Indian. Bravo responded: I just want to say hello to Mel, beautiful Mel, I was lucky enough to meet her once in Sydney. I just want to say hi and I see shes still looking beautiful.

Cricket Australia and the BBL are also sending mixed messages about objectifying women; the hugely popular T20 competition is not averse to titillating the crowd with scantily clad cheerleaders in tube tops and hot pants.

Im not for one moment suggesting that we should ban cheerleaders or cheap reality TV but we need consistency on what is condemnable behaviour. Sure, there are other claims that Gayle has behaved inappropriately, but that has been strenuously denied.

The cricketer was thoroughly humiliated on national television when McLaughlin refused to respond to his lewd advances.

That shouldve been punishment enough but it seems in the modern age we cant just find someones behaviour objectionable and call it out accordingly.

A witch-hunt must ensue. Fines must be imposed, careers ruined, individuals barred. The magnitude of the offence seems immaterial; an inconsequential incident generates the type of indignation that used to be reserved for serious transgressions.

Social media maelstroms are often centred on the most trivial incidents while important topics are steadfastly ignored.

The same feminists and SJWs who fume over Gayle ignore issues of substance here and abroad, like the massive surge in the number of women sexually assaulted in Germany by newly arrived migrants with deeply entrenched misogynistic attitudes.

Hashtag heroes who lose their collective minds over a prime ministerial wink say nothing about the rape culture imported from countries with backward attitudes towards women.

The treatment of women in male-dominated professional sport is an important topic but nothing is gained when those with an agenda hijack an incident.

When the criticism and punishment is completely disproportionate to the crime, it cant advance the cause of women. If the aim was to create sympathy for Gayle, the SJWs have succeeded spectacularly.

There is now a Stand by Gayle campaign and numerous online polls show the overwhelming majority believe he has been dealt with too harshly.

A Herald Sun poll of more than 20,000 people showed 92 per cent of respondents didnt believe Gayle should be banned from the BBL. In another poll, more than 70 per cent did not want him fined.

But it appears Cricket Australia has decided that Gayle is just too colourful for these sensitive times.

Rita Panahi is a Herald Sun columnist

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:05 am

jeepers, where will it end! some of the comments down the bottom crack me up!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-06/donoughue-a-poor-start-to-the-year-for-the-men-of-australia/7070222

so easy to take things out of context, so easy to blow something way out of proportion, surely a hey mate, thats not on, the apology if it was sincere should have been enough. though i doubt i would be so sensitive as to take offense. as others had said, shame she didnt come back with something snappy. ah well, i guess thats the end of any banter with journos at the end of a game. and thats a sad loss.

was she really this upset? or are they going overboard for some weird reason i cant fathom? still shes out there, its publicity for her. but im guessing shes a bit embarrassed by it all. not that its her fault. doubt its even about her anymore.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 159, 160, 161 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 160 of 277   

Jump to: