Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Shattering result, but we played well for the most part. The Eagles got us in the first quarter and most of the last. We dominated the second and third quarter, and really should have been leading by more at three quarter time. The pressure in the third quarter was as good as I've seen it all year, so we had plenty of good moments but just lacked a bit of composure when we needed it most.

Impressive games from Sidebottom, Adams, Varcoe, Goldsack, Phillips and Grundy. Goldsack did an outstanding job on Kennedy for the most part, but Kennedy just started getting on top towards the end of the game.

Some of our players were below par. Cox has made good progress this year, but tonight he was a liability in all facets of his game. However, I think it's worth giving him another chance next week. We missed him against GWS earlier in the year and it potentially cost us a win, so I'd back him in to turn it around next week.

A lot of people are rightfully disappointed, but tonight demonstrates why securing a top 4 spot is crucial. We were underdogs and going to Perth to beat the Eagles was always going to be a big ask, so we have a chance to rectify it next week against the Giants. We need the Magpie Army out in force next week.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 am

K wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
^ Yeah, the only light of hope at that time was that ian rogers was well on the way to becoming Australia's first chess GM.

I just fact-checked you, Mttm, and perhaps you can wiggle out of this one because "well on the way" is rather subjective. Do you regard "five years away from" as equivalent to "well on the way to"?

Dear K, fact checking me on this one will cost you.
i am a chess player myself, and very aware of the incredible efforts/aptitude it takes to become an international chess gm. i will not argue with you on this any further but to say that in 1980, ian rogers was on the way to being a gm. It was recognized by the entire chess community at the time.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 am

Piesnchess wrote:

Oh Gawd yes, I can still recall, as a young lad, the horror of 1980 GF, it was a nightmare, losing to those utter feral creeps, and they rubbed it in for a long time. Then, couple of months later, John Lennon, got shot, my rock hero, so it was a shit time all round, really. Crying or Very sad

Oh lordy, yes. Any mention of playing Richmond in a GF brings back that horrible, dark day. I had to rescue a fellow Pies tragic from locking himself in a room with ..... well, I don't even want to put in writing what could have occurred. It was an awful time and the Richmond supporters I knew then were so cruel about it.

However, if I recall, it was a miracle that we even made it to the GF that year. If we should ever again get into a GF with Richmond, our wonderful talent at winning chaos football will see us perform better, I would hope.

Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:37 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
K wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
^ Yeah, the only light of hope at that time was that ian rogers was well on the way to becoming Australia's first chess GM.

I just fact-checked you, Mttm, and perhaps you can wiggle out of this one because "well on the way" is rather subjective. Do you regard "five years away from" as equivalent to "well on the way to"?

Dear K, fact checking me on this one will cost you.
i am a chess player myself, and very aware of the incredible efforts/aptitude it takes to become an international chess gm. i will not argue with you on this any further but to say that in 1980, ian rogers was on the way to being a gm. It was recognized by the entire chess community at the time.

"On the way" I am satisfied with. ("Well on the way", well, see above. The fact checking revealed "GM 1985".)
Mttm, you can only slip things past me if my internet connection fails. But if my internet connection fails, how am I supposed to read the things you are trying to slip past me?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 am

We had 14 players tonight who had their first taste of finals footy. Tonight's experience will be invaluable for them in the long run.

The fact that we have another opportunity next week is fantastic for the club and I'm sure the boys will learn a lot from tonight and what is required to be a successful team in September.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 am

Sorry K, i must have forgotten to type the word "well""
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 am

Piesnchess wrote:
bally12 wrote:
I know this ppst won't be popular, but there was one glaring, inexcusable, selfish, and costly act/error on the part of one of our players that in all likelihood lost us this game.

It was late in the 3rd, when Mihocek was put through with a handball running past the 50m and had Treloar of all players, free and one metre slightly ahead of him to his right screaming for the ball. In that instance Mihocek HAD to give the handball. Instead he blazed away for a point. A goal there would have put us ahead by 16 points.

I'm generally positive towards our players, but selfishness is something I can't stand for. This loss hurts.

I take your point mate, but like, its a massive Final, the pressure is immense, we are sitting in our lounge rooms, we are not out there, its a friggin pressure cooker, you have split seconds to make decisions, its very hard, especially in a game like that one. very hard to make the correct choice in say, one second, two at most. Surprised

I remember the missed shot at goal, and yelling "Oh f&ck me f&cking dead" at the TV at top of my lungs. KNEW it would cost us. I'd need to see that passage again to see if Treloar was in Mihocek's peripheral vision though.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:42 am

Jezza wrote:
We had 14 players tonight who had their first taste of finals footy. Tonight's experience will be invaluable for them in the long run.

The fact that we have another opportunity next week is fantastic for the club and I'm sure the boys will learn a lot from tonight and what is required to be a successful team in September.

Agree totally. And i think the boys will graps this opportunity full throttle.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 am

Jezza wrote:

Excellent point Jezza. One of those players has not even played ten senior games - Sier, who did not disappoint tonight.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:45 am

Piesnchess wrote:
bally12 wrote:
I know this ppst won't be popular, but there was one glaring, inexcusable, selfish, and costly act/error on the part of one of our players that in all likelihood lost us this game.

It was late in the 3rd, when Mihocek was put through with a handball running past the 50m and had Treloar of all players, free and one metre slightly ahead of him to his right screaming for the ball. In that instance Mihocek HAD to give the handball. Instead he blazed away for a point. A goal there would have put us ahead by 16points.

I'm generally positive towards our players, but selfishness is something I can't stand for. This loss hurts.

I take your point mate, but like, its a massive Final, the pressure is immense, we are sitting in our lounge rooms, we are not out there, its a friggin pressue cooker, you have split seconds to make decisions, its very hard, especially in a game like that one. very hard to make the correct choice in say, one second, two at most. Surprised

Yeh I dunno. Treloar was hard to miiss. He was in his light of sight, 1 metre away from him and literally screaming for the ball.

I'm sure it will come up in the game review, but I'd love to know what the f he was thinking there. You may be right. He's a new forward. He may have not seen him...it can happen. It just didn't look great at all.

Overall I'm proud of the team. Some huge individual performances. Luck wasn't on our side tonight.

If I can think of a positive it's that if we had to make it to the GF then losing to Richmond again in the GF is just something that I cannot deal with. Well that's an impossibility now. Beating Richmond in the Prelim it will have to be.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:00 am

Collingwood 10.10.70
West Coast 12.14.86

Goals: De Goey, Adams, Checkers 2, JT, Stevo, Mayne, Varcoe 1,

Tackles: Mayne 8, Varcoe 6, Adams 7, Pendles 5.

Disposals: Sidey 27, Phillips, Sier, Adams 26, Treloar 24, JT, Aish, Crisp 21, Pendles 17, Grundy 18, Stevo 15, Howe 16, Levi 14, H-E, Maynard 17, Checkers 13, Langdon 12, Mayne, De Goey 11

AF Points: Adams 118, Grundy 110, Sidey 98, Phillips 100

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 am

I thought Crisp and Maynard were great tonight. Two young players who have held our defence together under incredible odds all year. We certainly have two exceptional players in those two.
35reasons 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am

Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by 35reasons on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
35reasons 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 am

I thought they were great tonight. I can’t comprehend the depth of despair expressed by some here. Notwithstanding the gut-wrenching loss, there’s a lot to like.

The returning trio will all be better for the run. Goldsack was particularly impressive after a most unexpected return. Adams was excellent and his last-quarter absence was difficult to cover. Langford, I thought was solid and Varcoe truly inspirational given the very recent loss of this sister - that goal from the pocket was quite a thing. Sidebottom just a star.

And there’s room for improvement: Pendles, WHE, JDG, Stevo - to name a few.

Cox was terribly disappointing. Especially as he clearly transitioned during the H&A from an experiment to a key player. Hopefully he’ll learn from the experience.

I’m upbeat about next week. Throughout the season we’ve responded to low-points well. We don’t seem to make the same mistakes twice as often as other clubs, and this together with the home-ground advantage should stand us in good stead.

Last edited by 35reasons on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:26 am; edited 4 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 am

Monco Matt wrote:
Wow, what a massive choke. That last 5 minutes would have to go down as the WORST, most PATHETIC passage of football I can ever remember. I feel gutted, robbed and betrayed after 115 minutes of great, hard, tough footy and we looked all over them, to give that performance late in the game I just cannot rationalize that. This feels like a bad dream or something.

I just got back from the game. I knew this would be here, I’m guessing there is a few more.

Go and get £$%$ed!

If you want to lay blame, blame the two posters in the third quarter. Blame the frustration from the blatant discrepancy in umpiring, blame the ducked up surface that had everyone slipping over, but don’t you dare blame the boys for that last 8 minutes where we fell short.

I’ll tell you what you didn’t see on tv. You didn’t see our kids go out for a hitout pregame, before the official hitout. Before their first final. How many in their first ever final? Many with an old school player giving the, a tap. You didn’t see Varcoe busting his arse even when the ball wasn’t there just 1 week after losing his sister to a footy injury. Three players came straight back from injury, 2 from bad long term injuries, and 2 had a quite first 1/4, the other just ran out of legs after doing a might job on Kennedy for three quarters. Pendles wasn’t himself no, but he was in hospital last week for gods sake! Yes cox got found out against talks with bigger bodies, but the final experience will help him too. I’m sure you heard the disgraceful booing of Varcoe, but you didn’t see the massive crowd pumping the team the whole game. And the supporters! It was a war zone! You did see me and a couple of dozen others giving it back in spades!

I thought we were going to get creamed after that first quarter. What a come back! From a team in its first final in 6 long years, with a massive upinjury list! Everyone says we got an easy ride but we took the team second on the ladder to the ropes, and nearly had them down for the count. How $£$%^%%$ dare you question their integrity at the end? How $£$%^%%$ dare you. It was plain as day the last 15 min we were toasted and desperately hanging on.

Truth is we don’t need next week off, we need more finals experience, and the under done need game time. We were not out coached or even out played. Yeah they got a goal through an open back door once, and yeah a few fumbles. But for Christ sake last year we finished 13th!

Win or lose next week as long as we fight like we did tonight, I’ll take it. But I reckon we might surprise em! And we won’t lay down and die against the Tigers either!

Go Pies, Side by Side, in good times, and bad. Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18   

Jump to: