Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#16 Chris Mayne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jpies 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Mayne offers no improvement of any great significance. He played some good football in 2013 and 2014, kicking 76 goals from 47 games, but has fallen away since. If you put aside those 2 peak years and look at the rest of his career, it becomes apparent that what you will get is a guy who has averaged less than a goal per game over his other 125 games. That's the player we'd likely be recruiting for 2017, not the guy who was a pretty good player three to four seasons earlier.

If the Club wants him because he's going to be cheapish and they want a role player, that's fine - but we shouldn't expect him to be the sort of player who will instantly transform a forward line. He doesn't have the talent of a Medhurst, for example. He might be - possibly, although the stats comparison I posted previously for 2016 doesn't really compel one to accept the claim - be a bit of an upgrade on Blair but I won't be looking for miracles. I really wouldn't want him to be keeping Crocker out of the team, if that were the plan.

Very happy for him to keep Crocker out of the team till (or if) he's ready. He wasn't ready this year and we would almost certainly have won more games if we didn't have to play him.

Sure he's a role player. Nothing wrong with that, you need them. Crocker's the same and not yet AFL standard. He's also another player over 25. We won't make finals without adding a few more. And while Mayne's not enough, we do need to add some players with size and some marking ability to replace Cloke. Goldsack's never really worked out for us as a forward. Mayne's a better version.

I actually think the opposite. Sure, Crocker wasn't quite ready when he first came into the side. But by the end of the season I thought he had improved significantly. I think he has the potential to play a role like Gunston at the Hawks, and could potentially become as good or better than Gunston (although time will tell!).

Overall, I would be disappointed if Mayne kept Crocker out of the side, delaying his development. Especially after we sacrificed a number of games this year playing him and the other first/second year players, seemingly to give them the experience to challenge for a flag in 17/18.
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Yes and no, any player that earns a spot and demands selection will play, whether young or old, players who have to compete for spots will be better for it and so will the team.

I too like what Crocker has to offer, and I think in the long term he will be a very good player for us, but his experience needs to be the hard work that it takes to make it at AFL level, not a gifted opportunity due to poor form or a poor run with injuries.

Jpies 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:25 pm

I agree completely. I guess I just think that his form towards the end of the season was strong enough to warrant retaining his place (e.g. 11 disposals, 6 marks, 3 goals against the hawks as a small forward). I would be disappointed if Mayne took his place, presuming Crocker's form is consistent, for maybe being slightly better with no real upside.

I'm not opposed to having Mayne on the list at all, to pressure the younger players to be consistent enough to retain their spot in the 22. But, I hope that preference is still given to younger players who are tracking well.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:58 pm

I like him..get him!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:51 pm

Jpies wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Mayne offers no improvement of any great significance. He played some good football in 2013 and 2014, kicking 76 goals from 47 games, but has fallen away since. If you put aside those 2 peak years and look at the rest of his career, it becomes apparent that what you will get is a guy who has averaged less than a goal per game over his other 125 games. That's the player we'd likely be recruiting for 2017, not the guy who was a pretty good player three to four seasons earlier.

If the Club wants him because he's going to be cheapish and they want a role player, that's fine - but we shouldn't expect him to be the sort of player who will instantly transform a forward line. He doesn't have the talent of a Medhurst, for example. He might be - possibly, although the stats comparison I posted previously for 2016 doesn't really compel one to accept the claim - be a bit of an upgrade on Blair but I won't be looking for miracles. I really wouldn't want him to be keeping Crocker out of the team, if that were the plan.

Very happy for him to keep Crocker out of the team till (or if) he's ready. He wasn't ready this year and we would almost certainly have won more games if we didn't have to play him.

Sure he's a role player. Nothing wrong with that, you need them. Crocker's the same and not yet AFL standard. He's also another player over 25. We won't make finals without adding a few more. And while Mayne's not enough, we do need to add some players with size and some marking ability to replace Cloke. Goldsack's never really worked out for us as a forward. Mayne's a better version.

I actually think the opposite. Sure, Crocker wasn't quite ready when he first came into the side. But by the end of the season I thought he had improved significantly. I think he has the potential to play a role like Gunston at the Hawks, and could potentially become as good or better than Gunston (although time will tell!).

Overall, I would be disappointed if Mayne kept Crocker out of the side, delaying his development. Especially after we sacrificed a number of games this year playing him and the other first/second year players, seemingly to give them the experience to challenge for a flag in 17/18.

I tend to agree. After all, it's not as if Mayne is an A grade player like Wells. Mayne is a B grade player and Crocker is not far behind imo. FWIW, I reckon Crocker will rip it up this weekend in the VFL final. He's already too good for the VFL.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Is that your final answer?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:17 pm

skaman wrote:
I like him..get him!

We have him 99%

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 pm

skaman wrote:
I like him..get him!

Well, we'd better get him then. Cool
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Yeah get him.

But Im hoping the $$ that's being reported is incorrect.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Happy to get him. Leave the club to work out the $$$ and the duration of his contract.
Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:50 am

2015 and 2016 combined stats based on Travis Cloke and Chris Mayne :

GOALS
Cloke - 51 Mayne - 46

MARKS
Cloke - 199 Mayne - 216

TACKLES
Cloke - 52 Mayne - 241

DISPOSALS
Cloke - 379 Mayne - 625

OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE. He will be the perfect partner for MOORE. If we can get over 100 goals between Moore Mayne and White. And over 100 between Faz Elliot Steele. Then your looking at top 4 potential. Sidebottom will no doubt be pushed into forward line with WELLS arrival. And with some luck Keefe Sharenberg Ramsay and Langdon will all be pushing to get into Defense. Freeing up Howe to go back into the forward line. Spending time down back worked well for Faz and i have a feeling Howe could step up next year and make our forward line the most exciting in the Competition. Mayne will no doubt play a big role in hustling for our young Guns. An upgraded version of Goldsack. A pure Defensive Forward.......
I like the additions of Mayne and Wells. 2 big needs. I would still love to have a No Nonsense Full Back like Rance. Oh how it would be nice to have James Clement born a decade later. And a reasonable back up for Grundy and Cox once Witts is gone. Maybe we already have one. Maybe we have a bigger suprise yet to come....

___ 2017 Premiership Team___

B Ramsay Sharenberg Langdon
HB Adams Ben Reid Maynard
C Treloar Wells Varcoe
HF Fasolo Moore Steele
F Howe Mayne Elliot
Foll Grundy Pendlebury Crisp
INT: Sam Reid Keefe Thomas Aish

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:57 am

100 goals from Moore, Mayne and White between them? It's a big ask fir Moore to get 60 goals next year. White's been in what the rest of the football world no doubt laughingly describes as career least-worst form and still only managed 70 goals at Collingwood in 3 seasons. He's now played 9 thoroughly tepid years in the AFL without being a major goal kicker, so why would that start now? It might also be a little difficult for White to kick goals in the team you've named, since he isn't in it.

As for Mayne as a full forward, I expect this suggestion was conceived, written and performed by Terry Jones and Michael Palin. He has a career goal-kicking average (1.14 goals per game) a little worse than White's but, more importantly, kicked only 18 goals in 22 matches this year. 7 of the 18 came in two weeks against Brisbane and Essendope and he didn't kick a goal in any of his last 7 games. Whatever the plan, however hare-brained, it couldn't possibly include Mayne playing full-forward on a regular basis.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 am

Lloydy doesn't really hold back and calls into question whether Buckley is doing the right thing for Collingwood or just firing shots hoping to survive.
Quote:

If I was a Collingwood supporter, what has been heard and speculated on so far about new recruits is cause for great concern.

Collingwood have reportedly signed Chris Mayne for four years, have put a two-year contract offer to Daniel Wells and have had enough of an interest to chat to Nick Dal Santo and ruckman Ivan Maric.

Mayne has under-achieved for a number of years now and I find the four-year commitment to him staggering.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:58 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Lloydy doesn't really hold back and calls into question whether Buckley is doing the right thing for Collingwood or just firing shots hoping to survive.
Quote:

If I was a Collingwood supporter, what has been heard and speculated on so far about new recruits is cause for great concern.

Collingwood have reportedly signed Chris Mayne for four years, have put a two-year contract offer to Daniel Wells and have had enough of an interest to chat to Nick Dal Santo and ruckman Ivan Maric.

Mayne has under-achieved for a number of years now and I find the four-year commitment to him staggering.

You really need to put the four year contract offered to Mayne (if true) in context to the five year contract we gave to Cloke, as even more staggering given the outcome.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:53 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Quote:

You really need to put the four year contract offered to Mayne (if true) in context to the five year contract we gave to Cloke, as even more staggering given the outcome.

Context with Carringbush roflmfao - there is no context - purely and simply a single minded and unwavering attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 12 of 27   

Jump to: