Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How do you feel about the impending execution of the Bali 2?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about the impending executions?
I feel genuinely emotionally upset, I'm taking this hard.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I feel sorry for them and a little upset in general
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
Really don't feel anything, don't care
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
I suppose they deserve it, I don't have a lot of sympathy
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
I want to be there to watch the Scum get what they deserve
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I was told there would be food and booze in here.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
John Wren wrote:
think positive wrote:
Facebooks on fire! Channel nine referred to the bodies returning to oz as "bringing our boys home". Yeah nah, sacrilege. So disrespectful. Gees next thing they will get a public funeral.

I'd much rather read about assistance for the devastating earthquake in Nepal, or the 19th anniversary of the founding of the Alannah and Madeleine foundation.

i am almost resentful for the way the media and the pollies have represented this. to an extent you could be mistaken for thinking these two were martyrs. where's the courage in smuggling drugs, where's the courage in coercing others to be drug mules, where's the courage in trying to make a buck out of others' misfortune?

it's been fascinating to observe discussion and debate about this situation across social media and talking to friends. it appears the only acceptable public position is that of the need to show compassion, for the indo president to show mercy and to feel uncomfortable with the executions and all other views must be condemned and shouted down. it's also interesting to see those (friends of mine) who hold this position have parroted it over and over on their facebook pages whereas any alternate view has only been aired in a single instance; it's as if the latter group are too scared to take this position publicly for fear of being abused. as for publc comments on news sites, that is simply an nfiltered free for all.

I saw a post by Kevin bloody Wilson (for those who don't have Facebook if someone on your friends list likes something on someone else's page, you can see it if the page it's on isn't private) saying the same as your first line, but with a few expletives chucked in. Lot of people agreeing, a few who said they would unfollow him. You must have nicer friends than me, I haven't seen one that says anything very compassionate about the two executed! But yeah only a couple have come out and said it, most simply quote another post and say "yep"! I quoted a line earlier from a close friend, and I reckon it's a really dignified way of putting it. It avoids mentioning the two who died. I've "liked" a couple i generally agree with, but I have purposely chosen not to post on it. Kind of like the family of one of the guys beheaded not long ago, putting a nice pic of him up and asking that it go viral rather than the beheading. I choose to focus on the positives of most things, and just ignore the negative. I've tried cutting down on political or too many negatives, and I' generally reserve those spots for the fight for animals with oscars law etc. I just try to look for positives, and there really isn't any in this case for anyone. For instance the riots in the states, I posted the mum dragging her son away by the ear, and also the picture of the citizens lining up to protect the police.

My view is they are gone, I don't need to join the mob trampling their graves, but I really don't want them turned into martyrs either. There is nothing heroic about this case at all. All that's left is two sets of family and friends in deep pain. And at the end of the day, their sons brought that on them. I don't need to hear about them not crying at the end, and the b word needs to be saved for people who deserve it.

Me and 61,000 other people liked this post by KBW

Quote:
"People are asking for a minutes silence for these two scumbags. What about a minutes silence for their victims!
My thoughts?
"DILLIGAF"

This one got 79,000 likes

Quote:
Further to my previous post regarding the impending Bali vermin eradication. Please note; A minutes silence is observed as a mark of respect. Do you politically correct, do-gooder fucktards really believe this pair of arse-wipes deseve respect? Feel free to unfriend me, then go kick yourself in the %$^%$Ł$%!

And I know plenty of people who agree. Most of the hand wringers I have on facebook have been noticeably quiet on this. One of the best memes I've seen is a picture of the duo with the caption "Why do they need a minutes silence? They're already getting a 21 gun salute"

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:30 pm

With stories like these, I often presume that the reality is a lot more mundane and reasonable than the headline makes it sound. But in this case, the actual university's decision is weirder and more patronising than I could ever have guessed.

http://m.theage.com.au/national/australian-catholic-university-reveals-scholarships-to-honour-executed-bali-9-duo-20150501-1mxmdp.html

But I still have no time for the "DILLIGAF" response exemplified above. I just wish more people could find middle ground between contemptuous indifference and melodramatic waterworks.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:56 pm

David wrote:
With stories like these, I often presume that the reality is a lot more mundane and reasonable than the headline makes it sound. But in this case, the actual university's decision is weirder and more patronising than I could ever have guessed.

http://m.theage.com.au/national/australian-catholic-university-reveals-scholarships-to-honour-executed-bali-9-duo-20150501-1mxmdp.html

But I still have no time for the "DILLIGAF" response exemplified above. I just wish more people could find middle ground between contemptuous indifference and melodramatic waterworks.

The vast majority are in the middle ground, as usual. The ones with the melodramatic waterworks are the same who turn to social media to have a breakdown and seek solace when they burn the toast, and while they make a loud noise, they're still far in the minority. This whole needing to vent your anguish publically to everything shits me to tears personally, it's not enough to care about something, they need to make sure the whole fkn world knows how deeply and passionately they care about this issue and the 100 other issues they just discovered today, including burnt toast.

I'm much closer to the DILLIGAF response, I also don't get why we should have a meltdown because they're Australian drug smugglers getting executed but care nothing about every other nationality of criminal who gets executed. Yeah, the Australian Government has a duty to try to look after it's citizens abroad. It helps when those citizens don't knowingly and deliberately break other countries laws.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I liked em both too!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:35 pm

I had to google what DILLIGAF means Shocked Embarassed
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 pm

David wrote:

It's outrageous and I can see them asking to be Saints next. Maybe portrayed on a cross like Jesus Christ.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:49 pm

They Broke the Law and the Knew the Punishment
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
They Broke the Law and the Knew the Punishment

And that Dave, is the undeniable truth of the matter.

How many Australian lives would have been ruined had their mission succeeded?

While I think life in prison would have been a more suitable punishment, they are no loss to society at all.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:12 pm

About one million.
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Would any of us be a major loss to society if we were randomly killed off? Perhaps we need a higher standard for assessing the value of human life.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:12 pm

David wrote:
Would any of us be a major loss to society if we were randomly killed off? Perhaps we need a higher standard for assessing the value of human life.

Some more than others

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:

Some more than others

Yep,

Maybe your right David, we should all be equal, but, and I know it's a cliche, how about the two drug smugglers peddling death? Did they see everyone's lives as equals?

David Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:08 pm

That's hardly the point. One would hope that we subscribe to better values than that of a drug smuggler.

It's not necessarily about all lives being equal, though that's an interesting discussion in its own right. My question is whether we ought to have a minimum standard of behaviour towards other human beings, regardless of who they are, what they've done or the contribution they make to society.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:38 pm

David wrote:
That's hardly the point. One would hope that we subscribe to better values than that of a drug smuggler.

It's not necessarily about all lives being equal, though that's an interesting discussion in its own right. My question is whether we ought to have a minimum standard of behaviour towards other human beings, regardless of who they are, what they've done or the contribution they make to society.

We do. You don't profit of people by selling them drugs, and in Bali, if you do that, they kill you. That's where their minimum is

David Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Hmm. Two different arguments there. One is a completely pluralist/relativist approach of "their country, their rules", no matter how disgusting or screwed up they are. The second is that what happened to them was acceptable/right/good regardless of the context.
If the latter, then you should theoretically have few qualms about such a policy being implemented here. If the former, then I would expect you to say exactly the same about a woman flogged for sex outside of marriage in Saudi Arabia or a man found guilty of visiting a sex worker in Sweden.

Both are possible positions. I just don't think they should be confused with each other.

Last edited by David on Sat May 02, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: