Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gaps in our current list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

My focus is on this year. We have a chance to win the premiership. Gaps?
1. We need a key tall back. Darcy Moore is irreplaceable. Also, he can't do it all on his own. Billy Frampton looked quite good in the ruck but he's only played a couple of games in the backline. I thought he looked a bit slow against Melbourne. But who else have we got? I think he should play there every week and hopefully get used to the position. He's slower than Murphy or Howe but he has height.

2. We need a key tall forward. McStay seems to be the only choice and we haven't seen much of him yet. Again, he should play their every week and make the spot his own. David King suggests that Howe should play forward. Maybe, but he's too short to be a key position player.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:09 pm
Post subject: Our glaring positional weakness (not a key forward)Reply with quote

Watching Paddy Cripps run from stoppage and clearance the other night only served to highlight a glaring weakness in a mid-field setup and that's a big bodied (not 188cm) mid-fielder to impact clearances. 2022 was gaping in this area and although Tom Mitchell has been a welcome addition, he is a 182cm, 83kg grafter with big body limitations.

Our main rivals have Petracca, Oliver, Dunkley, Cripps, Green, the Bont etc... and although we have Pendles and DeGoey, we still seem to be short in this area and our losses have been against Brisbane, Melbourne and Carlton who dominated us in clearance.

Thoughts?

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:41 pm

I wrote in the L thread about how we have gone from 1st in contested ball and ground ball gets in first 10 games to bottom 4 in both these areas in the last 9 games, we have essentially gone back to a 2022 version of us.

I think in time Ed Allan will become that player but maybe Maynard needs to get up near the contest more although his shoulders might prevent us using him like that.

It will stop us winning the flag if we don’t lift our ground ball gets and contested ball differential doesn’t lift in the next month.

mgh3536 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:03 pm

Crisp?
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:28 pm

Yep a couple or a few of big bodies bash and crash type mids is what we need also our game style to become more bash and crash type is what we need im done with all of this cute stuff
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:52 pm

I think Carmichael fits the mould if he can get fitter and stronger.

www.facebook/the hybernators
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:55 pm

Crisp and Maynard unfortunately aren't elite "one grabbers" and can fumble a tad. Carmichael should get rewarded and play this weekend against a competent Hawks on-ball unit. Worth a look.

Also Taylor Adams has had a huge problem keeping his feet this year when going onto the ball. Scope for improvement and focus.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:39 pm

Won’t help this year but I wonder if Elliot Yeo is on the radar. Huge risk, very low cost but a big return if our fitness team could get him right.
A beast when he’s on.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:03 am

We're a gun CHF, gun mid and a gun CHB short. We can still win the cup, but our margins are very thin because of this and the injury gods and momentum will need to be on our side.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:22 am

pietillidie wrote:
We're a gun CHF, gun mid and a gun CHB short. We can still win the cup, but our margins are very thin because of this and the injury gods and momentum will need to be on our side.

We are due for the "gods" to be on our side!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:53 am

My impression is that Mitchell's form has waned as the season has progressed. He actually looks buggered to me. His drop off in form, as well as Adam's inconsistent performances, have weakened our midfield imo. I agree with others who would like to see Carmichael given a run for a couple of weeks. Next year, hopefully Ed Allan will emerge as a real big bodied midfield talent.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:37 pm

My glaring weakness is we need two elite mids to replace Pendles and sidey
who are nearing the end

Also a gun KPF

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:06 pm

Reef was drafted as a midfielder, we're playing him KPF. Maybe, like JDG, he'll make the move to the midfield after a few more preseasons.

Allan is also a big unit midfielder.

Crisp is an outlier in that he is KP size, all the others in the OP are 191 or less.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:42 am

Since the bye we rank LAST in the comp for ground ball gets. That’s right even the WCE midfield is winning it more than our midfield. A few senior players need to have a decent look at themselves and have those hard conversations this week. We won’t have a better opportunity to win a flag if a few pull their fingers out.

Let’s not get stuck into Nick. The kid has had 1 full preseason and you can’t expect him to go full time in the middle despite the high standards set, give him cameos there sure but guys like Mitchell, Adams, Lipinski, JDG, Josh need to get stuck in and start winning some ball. A few are also starting to go ahead of the contest to get the cheap ball expecting others to win it.

Before the bye we were swarming numbers at the contest then spreading when we won it, have our training standards dropped? Not sure but it’s an alarming drop off. Then this has a cascading effect on our defence being under siege and our forwards being ineffective.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:13 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
Since the bye we rank LAST in the comp for ground ball gets. That’s right even the WCE midfield is winning it more than our midfield.

SPOT ON. I know that King and Montagna were big on the fact that our being #1 in ground ball gets was the springboard for our run and gun style of play.

I don't know what's happened since the bye, but we gone from the penthouse to the shizzenhaus and our season is collapsing around it.

The fact is our list overall is not good enough (we certainly don't have the key forwards), so we have had to manufacture a style based on manic pressure and run and gun. Since the bye that has all fallen away and we are playing like a bottom four team. We've won the close ones because of a certain "psychological" toughness (if we believe McRae's presser last night). But after a while the cracks are just too big to paper over and the dam walls burst. That happened yesterday.

Collingwood is an anomaly on top of the ladder. EVERY stat points to the fact we don't belong in the eight, let alone on top of the ladder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: