Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Peter Wright

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jatsad 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Peter Wright for Sier and Phillips.

You must be joking.

Hasn't played more than a handful of games in the last few years and you want to swap two grand final players for him.

Phillips is a regular and Sier may soon be.

No.

3rd round pick at best. Cannot offer 1st or 2nd round on perceived potential when he is not even getting a game.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 am

jatsad wrote:
Cannot offer 1st or 2nd round on perceived potential when he is not even getting a game.

I realise I may be quoting out of context, but it's an interesting notion that you cannot offer a 1st or 2nd on perceived potential when at the draft, that is exactly what you're doing...

Wright has exposed form. He's been inconsistent, his best and worst are a long way apart, which I would say is standard for a lot of youngsters, especially those standing 2 meters tall.

If (very big if) this hypothetical situation were to come to pass (and there is nothing from any party, Collingwood, Gold Coast, or Wright himself to indicate that it would), then I think Phillips and Sier would be seen as unders for Wright. Wright would immediately become our no1 key forward and back up ruck, ahead of both Cox and Cameron. Midfielders are more readily replaced than KPPs and both Phillips and Sier have obvious flaws in their games with enough exposed form to indicate they're not being remedied.

If such a trade came to pass, I think Collingwood would be universally proclaimed the 'winner' by the media. Granted trade winners/losers in reality take longer than ink drying on paperwork to determine, but trading from a position of strength and depth for a position of weakness seems to be pretty reasonable.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:16 pm

From what I've seen of Wright he doesn't have a big tank, and more worryingly, he struggles to impose himself on games. I mean, if we got him for the right price and if we had a specific and well-thought out plan for how to use a player like him, it might be a worth a punt.

Those are big 'ifs' though, which apply to any prospective second tier tall forward we bring in, because they're not likely to be able to single-handedly wave a magic wand and sort out the tall-forward issue we've had since the Cloke/Dawes partnership began its decline.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Cannot offer 1st or 2nd round on perceived potential when he is not even getting a game.

I realise I may be quoting out of context, but it's an interesting notion that you cannot offer a 1st or 2nd on perceived potential when at the draft, that is exactly what you're doing...

Wright has exposed form. He's been inconsistent, his best and worst are a long way apart, which I would say is standard for a lot of youngsters, especially those standing 2 meters tall.

If (very big if) this hypothetical situation were to come to pass (and there is nothing from any party, Collingwood, Gold Coast, or Wright himself to indicate that it would), then I think Phillips and Sier would be seen as unders for Wright. Wright would immediately become our no1 key forward and back up ruck, ahead of both Cox and Cameron. Midfielders are more readily replaced than KPPs and both Phillips and Sier have obvious flaws in their games with enough exposed form to indicate they're not being remedied.

If such a trade came to pass, I think Collingwood would be universally proclaimed the 'winner' by the media. Granted trade winners/losers in reality take longer than ink drying on paperwork to determine, but trading from a position of strength and depth for a position of weakness seems to be pretty reasonable.

I agree, IF we somehow waved the wand and got this trade to magically happen. Wright would cost us a pick somewhere in the teens....if we got very lucky start of second round....so we woud need to trade to get said pick.

He would not need to be a big goal kicking forward. The talent we have in the 50 for the most part he just needs to crash packs and take best defender. If he could kick 20 to 40 goals a year that is a win.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 pm

jatsad wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

You must be joking.

Hasn't played more than a handful of games in the last few years and you want to swap two grand final players for him.

No.

3rd round pick at best. Cannot offer 1st or 2nd round on perceived potential when he is not even getting a game.

Sier can’t get a game, and Phillips is an average footballer.

Have to pay something to get something you want.

The good old predictable overrate our entire list syndrome.

Im a Sier fan, but if he’s not in Buckley’s plans then swap him for something we can use. Phillips is handy when he can outlast his opponent for endurance. And that’s about it.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:50 am

K wrote:
Gleeson, May 30, 2019:

"...Peter Wright ... has signed a new three-year deal, which will see him remain at the club for eight years and become a free agent at the end of his contract."

If that's all correct, he's a free agent at the end of 2022.

Legally, that is most likely correct.
However, one fact we have come to realise over the past few seasons is that contracts are simply not worth the paper they are written on.
Clubs are constantly seeking solutions to offloading under-performing and salary cap-draining stock, regardless of contractual status, to make way for younger players on a lower wage, who they need to retain before getting poached away elsewhere.

I suspect when Wright signed that deal, he wasn't planning on a run of soft tissue injuries plaguing his fitness, nor had little idea King would pass him by within a season as their #1 KPF.
I imagine he can see the writing on the wall now, and it doesn't bode well for him, unless the Suns try him in defense as a last resort.

So I rather fancy his chances of being on the market by years end.
His 6th season in the AFL and I suspect his currency is drying up fast; if I were him I'd pull the trigger on a move back to Victoria.
Barring a catastrophic injury to King, Wright is most likely to bide his time in the reserves in 2021, whilst awaiting either opportunity or misfortune to benefit his case for selection.

So I'd part with a third rounder, or at best a second rounder with sweetener.

I could easily see Wright taking to the field in Reid's #20 for us next season...
I'm sure he still has some sentimental fondness for the club, which ideally would put us in the box-seat for any negotiations during trade period.

And he can also play relief ruck for Grundy, yet this may all depend on Darcy Cameron's input over the later stages of this total debacle of a season.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

You must be joking.

No.

Sier can’t get a game, and Phillips is an average footballer.

Have to pay something to get something you want.

The good old predictable overrate our entire list syndrome.

Im a Sier fan, but if he’s not in Buckley’s plans then swap him for something we can use. Phillips is handy when he can outlast his opponent for endurance. And that’s about it.

I hear what you are saying but I cannot agree.
Phillips is having an ordinary year yes, but in the past 2 years was averaging 25 touches and nearly a goal a game.
Sier in 2018 was a staple in the team towards the end of the year and both played in the grand final.

What is Wright's claim to fame?
Was gonna be something special but cannot and won't get a game ahead of King and other GC forwards.

I could see a straight swap Sier for Wright, but Phillips deserves a little more.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:02 pm

The only point I would add, is that while Wright can’t get a game in front of King or Lukosuis ( currently playing back ), Cox couldn’t get a game in front of Cameron or a first gamer in Kelly. Ouch !
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am

At best he is worth a 3rd round pick.

No difference to Witts. Potential but was a depth player only with Grundy preferred. Think we only got a third round pick for him. He has flourished since.

Wright is exactly in the same boat.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 am

Witts always used to get better when we gave him an extended run in the seniors and was allowed to adapt to the level. The trouble was he was in and out of the team all the time and couldn't get any continuity. But that was because Grundy was clearly a better ruckman and playing both of them didn't work. Darcy Cameron on the other hand looks like he's got the ability to play forward as well as chop Grundy out in the ruck. I just hope the club shows more patience with him than they did with Witts and not drop him everytime he has a bad game.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm

There are no FFs.

Walker - old and no good anymore.
Rafael Nadal - Too skinny and hasnt really turned it on yet.
Casboult - Finally turns it on but is too old.
Cox - Cant get back in.
Daniher - Cant get fit.
Hogan - Cant stay fit.
Hawkins - Old as shit.
Patton - Cant stay fit.
Weideman - Not improving.
Ben Brown - Turned to shit.
Westhoff/Dixon - Old as shit.
Jack - Getting old.
Buddy - Old as shit.
Kennedy/Darling - Old as shit.
Bruce - Not really a FF.

McCartin - Concussed and basically retired.
Boyd - Depressed and retired.

King Twins - Sensational but ungetable.
Cameron - Demanding a billion dollars.
Lynch - Missed our chance.

Only ones available are second rate and 2-Meter Peter is probably the best one available. I can't see who else we can look at. King Twins will never be available, JC demanding too much money and we missed out on Lynch.

Will Kelly hopefully becomes the player we've been missing.

Mihocek is 28, Darcy Cameron is 25, Cox is 29, Will Kelly is about to turn 20. Peter Wright is 23.

We're not going to be able to solve the FF issue, but most other teams are or will soon be in the same boat. Are there any youngsters coming through?

cressyg 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Its interesting that people state Cox is gone but we should trade in Wright. Their stats are basically identical and Wright won't come cheap 9either in trade or $$).
Cox: Kicks: 5; Marks 4; Contested Marks 2; HB 4; Goals 1.2; HO 7.5
Wright: Kicks 7 Marks 5; Contested Marks 1.2; HB 4; goals 1.2 HO 4
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Peter Wright is rotting in the Reserves so his currency is dropping every week
Alex 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:39 pm

cressyg wrote:
Its interesting that people state Cox is gone but we should trade in Wright. Their stats are basically identical and Wright won't come cheap 9either in trade or $$).
Cox: Kicks: 5; Marks 4; Contested Marks 2; HB 4; Goals 1.2; HO 7.5
Wright: Kicks 7 Marks 5; Contested Marks 1.2; HB 4; goals 1.2 HO 4

He was there second leading goal kicker last year and is 23 years old while Cox is 29.

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Enjoyed the summarise from presti and agreed with everything you said. This young man kicked 27 goals from 17 games in his second season. Perhaps he had enough of playing for the cellar dwellers.

Fairness to them they aren’t going to bad this year, in saying that there’s reports they are paying King ridiculous money. Don’t get me wrong the kid will be a star, beautiful kick, good hands, good leading patterns already, if only. Anyway what I’m trying to say is clearly Peter is down the pecking order.

I really think he is worth a chance, as stated he’s only 23 as far as I’m aware he did a medial knee injury early in his career but has been pretty sound since? Correct me if I’m wrong, wouldn’t be the first time.

Again, I can’t see him costing much as far as draft picks, as inxs said he’s playing reserves. Surely he must request a trade, also after giving Witts away basically for free they owe us. Surely we are interested.

We need something to hope for. There just isn’t anyone else available, sorry that we can afford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: