Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jeremy Howe - hamstring injury?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait for everyone's reaction if JH plays and tears it during the game...

Skids wrote:
Has this been confirmed? ...

It's been confirmed that JH described it as "an awareness". Shocked
Presumably he didn't invent that terminology himself. Did the club? Or do all clubs speak like that? This is "surreal". Shocked
I think they need to earn back the trust of all who respect language.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 pm

BazBoy wrote:
AFL site has photo of trainer attending to him —he is hunched over and tho trainer blocks the view he is clutching his leg

Seems because of Philips & Moore off he spent 95 % of game on the ground

That pic was definitely from the earlier incident when he stopped the Cats player in his tracks when he was streaming towards goal. That one just knocked the stuffing out of him but he played on.
AFL website said he played 98 % of game as per BBs comments.
That’s probably around 10 % more than usual after a month of a heavy work load. It’s a fatigue injury, so who’s to say it still would have occurred if we hadn’t lost two players.
You can rehab for injury management but you can’t rehab for bad luck.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 pm

If it's 'tightness' or any soreness at all... 2 weeks. I don't care what these so called "fitness experts" reckon, hammys (all 3 muscles) are NOT to be taken lightly.

I've run 3 marathons, 36 half marathons and plenty of 'fun runs' over the last 15 years ... and YES, sprinting is a big part of the trainning.

You need to make sure it's 100%... then give it 2 more weeks MINIMUM!

FFS, wake up!!!

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:54 am

ANZAC DAY!

Athletes are finely tuned machines. Seems like all of the older guys have been thrown for a loop by the timing of the games over the past month.

Reid - fatigue related injury
Howe - fatigue related injury (didn't get a break on the weekend).

Moore didn't heal the injury properly before playing again.

To heal a hammy, you dont just need to take time off. You need to go through the cycle of building up the strength of the hammy. That means by slowly building up the stress you load on it. Sounds like we let the muscle heal but didnt build up its resistance to stress.

PLayers should have to play a half in the ressies without running at top speed, then play a full game without running at top speed. Then doing small amounts of top speed work - and then comiong back.

Problem is that if you tear the same spot in the hammy twice, you officially have chronic hamstrings which means its going to be an issue for the rest of your career.

We were smart to rest Varcoe after Anzac day and incredibly stupid to let Reid play 120 minutes in the Richmond game. We should have conceded the Richmond game and rested 10 blokes!

three weeks of rest and then 100% effort for 2 hours is a sure fire way to reinjure.

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:54 am

ANZAC DAY!

Athletes are finely tuned machines. Seems like all of the older guys have been thrown for a loop by the timing of the games over the past month.

To heal a hammy, you dont just need to take time off. You need to go through the cycle of building up the strength of the hammy. That means by slowly building up the stress you load on it. Sounds like we let the muscle heal but didnt build up its resistance to stress.

PLayers should have to play a half in the ressies without running at top speed, then play a full game without running at top speed. Then doing small amounts of top speed work - and then comiong back.

Problem is that if you tear the same spot in the hammy twice, you officially have chronic hamstrings which means its going to be an issue for the rest of your career.

We were smart to rest Varcoe after Anzac day and incredibly stupid to let Reid play 120 minutes in the Richmond game. We should have conceded the Richmond game and rested 10 blokes!

three weeks of rest and then 100% effort for 2 hours is a sure fire way to reinjure.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 am

E wrote:
ANZAC DAY!

If ANZAC day is a factor, then we should also look at the Bombers soft tissue injuries since that day ( although you could argue they haven’t gotten out of a trot in the last month )
I’m not up to speed with the reason behind any of their outs in the last couple weeks but I did hear that Hurley did a hamstring on the weekend.
If they have also had a soft tissue spike recently, then that would obviously add weight to the argument.
Personally, I’m in the camp that believes playing mid week is a factor but I’m just not sure to what extent.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:51 am

Pies2016 wrote:
E wrote:
ANZAC DAY!

If ANZAC day is a factor, then we should also look at the Bombers soft tissue injuries since that day ( although you could argue they haven’t gotten out of a trot in the last month )
I’m not up to speed with the reason behind any of their outs in the last couple weeks but I did hear that Hurley did a hamstring on the weekend.
If they have also had a soft tissue spike recently, then that would obviously add weight to the argument.
Personally, I’m in the camp that believes playing mid week is a factor but I’m just not sure to what extent.

It's crap that we have to play the ANZAC day midweek and then get our bodies up 4 days latter. Soccer players can cope with this. They play two 45 minute halves. But we play 4 quarters of 120 minutes of football a game. The human body is not designed to do that, although certain players have better recuperative powers than others. E says we shouldn't have played Reid on ANZAC day, but then who should we have played on what some people regard as the second most important football game of the year? Ross Lyon played a second string side in the lead up to one final series. It paid off the next week in the first final but Freemantle failed to win the premiership that year. So what do we do? Do we play a second string side on ANZAC day? Imagine the protest if we did that. You can only play the players who show themselves on the training track. I'm assuming Reid did that and that's why he played on ANZAC day.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 am

E wrote:
ANZAC DAY!

It's also quite possible that the hamstring injuries are a result of underlying spinal issues and without those issues being treated the end result will be continual hamstring problems. I know that specific attention was paid to that in 2010 (but doubt that MM & the the coaching staff would even have known about it) but after that season I don't know what has been done.
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
It's also quite possible that the hamstring injuries are a result of underlying spinal issues and without those issues being treated the end result will be continual hamstring problems. I know that specific attention was paid to that in 2010 (but doubt that MM & the the coaching staff would even have known about it) but after that season I don't know what has been done.

Given Elliott's much-publicized back problems, and given the current coach's back-related hamstring problems, you'd think they'd be aware of that possibility... Do you think the club needs a little nudging?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm

K wrote:

Given Elliott's much-publicized back problems, and given the current coach's back-related hamstring problems, you'd think they'd be aware of that possibility... Do you think the club needs a little nudging?

I'm sure the club medicos know more about this than anyone here on Nicks. However, a lot of medicine is still an inexact science and often it's simply a matter of trial and error.
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm

As I said somewhere (in the tangled maze of similar threads), I'd like to know (say) Ben Reid's views on all of this. We already know at least one player who's been pretty blunt in his assessment of his medical (mis)treatment.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:

I'm sure the club medicos know more about this than anyone here on Nicks. However, a lot of medicine is still an inexact science and often it's simply a matter of trial and error.

Well you know my thoughts, based on a conversation with a couple sports medicos.
The club should at least remain open minded to a Gonstead Chiro ( new age practice ) The theory is that you start the rehabbing by initially getting the skeletal structure alignment right before you work on the soft tissue rehab.
Some elite sport clubs ( global ) do and and some don’t but if we aren’t, then we should at least explore it.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
The club should at least remain open minded to a Gonstead Chiro ( new age practice ) The theory is that you start the rehabbing by initially getting the skeletal structure alignment right before you work on the soft tissue rehab.
Some elite sport clubs ( global ) do and and some don’t but if we aren’t, then we should at least explore it.

Chiropratic 'medicine' is widely considered to be a load of bunkum. The peer-reviewed science doesn't support it for anything other than a marginal impact on back pain, with marginal being the operative word.

Gonstead seems like just an extra layer of bulltish. I'd hope that any clubs would think twice about using 'experimental' approaches without a scientific basis. Look how it worked out for Essendon.

Might as well sacrifice a goat.

There's an interesting overview here...

https://theconversation.com/theres-no-place-for-pseudo-scientific-chiropractic-in-australian-universities-4576

It's not hard to find plenty of other science-based critiques of chiropractors.
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 pm

^^^
For the previous/main chiropractic discussion see p.4-5 of the "illness and injury" thread, http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83649

(starting with http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1826554#1826554 ).
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
K wrote:

Well you know my thoughts, based on a conversation with a couple sports medicos.

You know my thoughts on chiropractors/witchcraft/snake oil salesman! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: