Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match: Pies v. Suns - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with all those who judged Cox's performance yesterday to be woeful. I thought he actually did OK while in the ruck. He dropped two marks that he definitely should have grabbed, which tarnished his overall performance, but overall I thought he showed plenty of upside. I would not be banishing him just yet. I think playing him some more is an investment for the future.
I also wouldn't be dropping Josh Thomas just yet. If you keep dropping players after one mediocre performance, you never find out just who is capable of what. Stay with him for a bit longer to find out if he is good for next year.
Wills in for Greenwood is self-evident.
If Kirby is fit enough, I'd bring him in (maybe in place of Broomhead, who has had many opportunities but produced very little)
I wouldn't start playing the young guys en masse. You need to have them debut in a team with experience and physical presence to help shield them and also so that their first experience is not a smashing. I don't think that is a good start for any AFL career.
Moore also needs to come in if he is available, and likewise Jeremy Howe if possible.
While I understand the viewpoint of those who would welcome a loss, I can never bring myself to do so. I want to see us play to win, because that is the best possible training for our team going forward.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:01 pm

It's sad that many here are hoping for us to lose this week or simply don't care.That's their right tho, they are entitled to have their own agenda.

I want us to win this week as much as I did in round 1. My agenda is for Collingwood to win games of footy. It will be always be that.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:22 pm

bally12 wrote:
Pies match committee, it's time to play the kids.

INS:
--------
Kirby - simply must come in.
Wills - we've been getting killed in clearances in the last couple of weeks.
Aish - played well in the reserves. Give him some time in the guts, swapping from half-back.
Brown - smart player. Let him develop in the 1sts.
Daicos - time to debut the kid.
Ramsay - play him as a mid, in Treloar's role, and swap him with Aish at half-back.

OUTS:
--------
Cox - drops easy marks, and very soft for a 7ft'er. He's got some work to do over the preseason to gain power and strength.
Adams - his kicking is killing the team. Something needs to be done, instead of sweeping it under the carpet. Over to you coaches...earn your money for once.
Smith - badly out of form. Needs to find a yard of pace over pre-season.
Thomas - no hurt factor
Greenwood - tribunal will give him a couple of weeks for being a Pies player.
Treloar - injured

Game Notes:
--------
- Take the game on and take risks.
- JDG, Wills, Pendles at most centre clearances.
- Grundy vs Witts will be an interesting battle to see. Grundy needs to maximise his ground advantage and spread like a midfielder.
- What's not to like with a forward line of Daicos, Reid, Kirby, Elliott, Fas, WHE. We play to our strengths, meaning the ball comes in low and fast to the forwards. No slow, high balls.
- Don't care if we lose. Show something Pies. Throw some punches. Most Pies supporters just sat there against the Dopers just watching a team going through the motions...was a sad sight to see.

Agree with most of that, except dropping Adams. Sure he needs to improve his disposal skills, but he is too valuable as virtually our only tough midfielder to be wasted in the ressies. Also, I don't see Ramsay as a midfielder. I actually think he needs to play out the year in the VFL to regain confidence in his body and return to the seniors in top shape next season.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm

It sounds like a lot of fun.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:53 pm

All Cox needs is some aggression - he has a basketball background and it shows at time - he is too much of a gentle giant. When I played - if we had someone like that in our team we used to smack them in the back of the ear ourselves to fire them up - always pointing out the (innocent) opposition as the culprits. It worked 9 out of 10 times and bred some mongrel in players. That mongrel converted to someone who smashed packs, hit tackles like Stan Magro whipping our Jezza.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:54 pm

also interesting to see Treloar come out and state he is not injured and is just pissed off at his and his team mates form/ Players seem to be taking majority of responsibility.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm

mudlark wrote:
You may be right about Cox, but I spent most of yesterday tearing my hair out at the fact that we would not sit him in the square and bomb it high to a point 20m out. Instead he lumbered about like a light tower upfield of CHF, watching the play go around him.

That's all well and good, but what are we going to do for a ruckman when Grundy goes back to Adelaide???[/quote]

That would be fine if we had anyone capable of positioning themselves front and centre at the fall of a contest. I'm not sure Buckley and co have ever heard of this phenomenon.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 pm

ROB wrote:
also interesting to see Treloar come out and state he is not injured and is just pissed off at his and his team mates form/ Players seem to be taking majority of responsibility.

I don't Believe that for 1 Second. He is hurt but is Trying to Hide it to the Public

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 pm

mudlark wrote:
You may be right about Cox, but I spent most of yesterday tearing my hair out at the fact that we would not sit him in the square and bomb it high to a point 20m out. Instead he lumbered about like a light tower upfield of CHF, watching the play go around him.

That's all well and good, but what are we going to do for a ruckman when Grundy goes back to Adelaide???[/quote]

It was so sad to see Reid out run by Cox who was the hit up forward. Reid maybe 28 but his legs are 38

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:35 pm

No finals now, so lets be bold, very bold, time to play Kirby, brown again, mayne, wells, and one more change, we must re juvenate the whole team, freshen it up a fair bit. This game is very winnable, but we have to go into it with a re set team, new goals, new attitude, and throw all caution to the wind. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
It's sad that many here are hoping for us to lose this week or simply don't care.That's their right tho, they are entitled to have their own agenda.

I want us to win this week as much as I did in round 1. My agenda is for Collingwood to win games of footy. It will be always be that.

YEA !! It will be a very cold day in hell, when I actually want us to lose a game, or tank, or throw games, no bloody way known. The day I do that , is the day I stop being a Pies fan, full stop, I have always wanted us to win every game, always, and I'm not going to change now, not this little black duck, its just not my style. Never. ever. Surprised

melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

YEA !! It will be a very cold day in hell, when I actually want us to lose a game, or tank, or throw games, no bloody way known. The day I do that , is the day I stop being a Pies fan, full stop, I have always wanted us to win every game, always, and I'm not going to change now, not this little black duck, its just not my style. Never. ever. Surprised

I want us to win. But winning now shouldn't be the priority. Next year is the priority now. So we should get games into kids either to get them earlier experience or to determine if they should be cut from the list.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 pm

melliot wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

I want us to win. But winning now shouldn't be the priority. Next year is the priority now. So we should get games into kids either to get them earlier experience or to determine if they should be cut from the list.

I agree, play all our kids, they are the future, for sure, but I abhor tanking, I too want to win at all costs. Surprised

melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
melliot wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

I agree, play all our kids, they are the future, for sure, but I abhor tanking, I too want to win at all costs. Surprised

But that is what tanking is. It's not doing your best deliberately. By not picking the strongest team now, but one for development, you are not doing your best to win now.

I don't think anyone is saying for us to not try on game day. Ultimately we'll be losing at the selection table.

We get experience into kids and most likely a better draft pick.

The way we're going we'll lose most games anyway playing our so called best. So may as well do it with development.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 pm

I am opposed to selecting all our kids. This is completely not the best for them, nor even to evaluate who has real potential. If we were to play "all the kids" together, we will get smashed, and we will not get a clear picture of their potential at all. To get proper experience into our kids, we need to play them within the framework of as good a side as we can play on the field. so we can see how they will fit in, without massive pressure on all of them, undiluted by the presence of stronger, experienced players. That is one reason why I am utterly opposed to "tanking" (playing all the kids at once). The second reason is that I hate us losing, and always want the Pies to win, regardless of whether finals are a possiblity or not.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: