Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has Caff found his new position?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call Blair a defensive forward. Blair is a small forward who like our our forwards, applies defensive pressure on the opposition when we lose possession of the ball. Macaffer is a run with player whose purpose is to quell the opposition prime mover. There is a difference. In my opinion Macaffer competes with Greenwood for a place in the side. You simply can't afford to play more than one tagger in the side because you need to have most of the 18 on the field forward of the ball when you take possession. Otherwise you won't be able to penetrate the zone defence of opposition sides if you have your taggers following their opposition players around the field.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:21 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I wouldn't call Blair a defensive forward. Blair is a small forward who like our our forwards, applies defensive pressure on the opposition when we lose possession of the ball. Macaffer is a run with player whose purpose is to quell the opposition prime mover. There is a difference. In my opinion Macaffer competes with Greenwood for a place in the side. You simply can't afford to play more than one tagger in the side because you need to have most of the 18 on the field forward of the ball when you take possession. Otherwise you won't be able to penetrate the zone defence of opposition sides if you have your taggers following their opposition players around the field.

Well you need run and spread and to get that you need a midfield that works equally hard both ways other wise you don't get sufficient numbers back to stop opposition movement and restrict scoring opportunities, and if you don't have the run and spread you don't get the options opening up moving the footy forward.

A player playing as a tagger takes a risk leaving their opponent, Caff doesn't seem to do it too often (playing as a mid tagger), Greenwood rolls the dice more often but I think that comes back more to player quality rather than anything else. If it was a choice of Caff or Greenwood you'd take Greenwood every time as he offers more.

But I don't think it's that simple. I don't think Caff can go back into the midfield at senior level so if he's playing it's as a defensive forward. I don't see Greenwood playing as a defensive forward all that often. So it's not really a Caff or Greenwood like for like scenario, it's Greenwood into the midfield and another player like De Goey getting reduced midfield rotations playing HF in Caff spot.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:20 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Captain of the Reserves in 2017!! That should be his next calling. Solid citizen

Nothing wrong with cutting him from the senior list at the end of 2016, and having him rookie-listed for 2017. That would be a practical result.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:41 pm

piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Captain of the Reserves in 2017!! That should be his next calling. Solid citizen

Nothing wrong with cutting him from the senior list at the end of 2016, and having him rookie-listed for 2017. That would be a practical result.

...but not a nice thing to do. Confused
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Agreed it's cruel, but the club will need to employ measured list management when nominating the players to be culled, as the deadwood was cleared at end of 2015.
Yet nothing really changes - he can still challange for a spot in the seniors. AS IF we won't get a long-term injury early in 2017; you can carve it in stone. That will surely open the door for somebody Sad
The reality is 3-4 players must be cut off the list to make way for O'Keeffe, Thomas, and presumably Brown and Daicos.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 pm

piedys wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Agreed it's cruel, but the club will need to employ measured list management when nominating the players to be culled, as the deadwood was cleared at end of 2015.
Yet nothing really changes - he can still challange for a spot in the seniors. AS IF we won't get a long-term injury early in 2017; you can carve it in stone. That will surely open the door for somebody Sad
The reality is 3-4 players must be cut off the list to make way for O'Keeffe, Thomas, and presumably Brown and Daicos.

I'm assuming we'll off-load Witts, Gault, Toovey and possibly Goldsack and Goodyear.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:09 pm

piedys wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Keeffe and Thomas are already on the list.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:23 am

Senior Rookie Spot at the least. Great Clubman as they say
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:51 am

BBHS wrote:
Senior Rookie Spot at the least. Great Clubman as they say

too true definitely deserves another year, the poor bugger has had some bad luck and has worked hard to come back.

www.facebook/the hybernators
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:06 pm

jackcass wrote:
piedys wrote:

Keeffe and Thomas are already on the list.

Sorry Daz, according to club website, O'Keeffe & Thomas still on rookie-list:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/players/rookies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: