Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dellavedova (NBA) models his game on Nick Maxwell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with King Malta !
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:09 pm

King Malta wrote:
Haha please.

People over here are so quick to jump to the defense of our athletes simply because they were born in the same country as them. I absolutely love the comments in support of him to be honest, whenever an Australian sportsmen does something unsportsmanlike everyone over here becomes an armchair expert and the narrative is that everyone else is soft and doesn't understand the sport they've been following their whole lives Laughing

There's getting your hands dirty then there's deliberately falling into people's legs and running the risk of injuring them. There are plenty of other Aussies playing basketball professionally who don't do the same thing, because they're not all dirty.

So Delly is a Thug and the Dirtist Player to every play in the NBA?

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:08 am

King Malta wrote:
Haha please.

People over here are so quick to jump to the defense of our athletes simply because they were born in the same country as them. I absolutely love the comments in support of him to be honest, whenever an Australian sportsmen does something unsportsmanlike everyone over here becomes an armchair expert and the narrative is that everyone else is soft and doesn't understand the sport they've been following their whole lives Laughing

There's getting your hands dirty then there's deliberately falling into people's legs and running the risk of injuring them. There are plenty of other Aussies playing basketball professionally who don't do the same thing, because they're not all dirty.

You're the only one to follow basketball all their life!? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
How many years you play??

What's your opinion on Alex Rance being labelled the best defender going around at the moment in footy??
What he does is dirty, has the potential to cause injury, and he'd be thrown out of most basketball stadiums in the world doing what he does.

Where as Dellevedova dives for a loose balls. End of story.

If the other guy wants to make a nice little clean pick-up on his twinkle-toes and run away cleanly dribbling the ball, good luck when you've got someone that actually wants the rock that little bit more.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:39 pm

King Monkey wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Haha please.

You're the only one to follow basketball all their life!? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
How many years you play??

What's your opinion on Alex Rance being labelled the best defender going around at the moment in footy??
What he does is dirty, has the potential to cause injury, and he'd be thrown out of most basketball stadiums in the world doing what he does.

Where as Dellevedova dives for a loose balls. End of story.

If the other guy wants to make a nice little clean pick-up on his twinkle-toes and run away cleanly dribbling the ball, good luck when you've got someone that actually wants the rock that little bit more.

Where in my post did I say i was referring to myself hmm? Nowhere, that's correct. I was referring to the people in Australia who got all uppity at people in the US who had been following the sport all there lives and were getting on a soapbox telling them what should be deemed acceptable in a sport that those individuals had been supporting their whole lives. Try reading my post before you go straight past the ball and for the man next time.

Did I question Delly's ability anywhere? Did I say he was a bad player? It seems you didn't actually read any of my posts at all. Where is the relevance of Rance in this argument? Regardless of his ability, like you point out, he certainly does a number of dirty things and as a result I don't like him, like I don't like Delly. Haha what's the relevance of him getting thrown out of basketball stadiums, it's a completely different sport, of course he'd get thrown out of a basketball stadium for doing some of the things AFL players do to each other Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

See it whatever way you want, but I (and many others) believe that Delly is a dirty player and has committed actions which could have caused needless injuries to his opponents. He's deliberately tripped his opponents and locked their legs with his in separate incidents, it's not simply a matter of him going hard for a loose ball here and there.

Last edited by King Malta on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:39 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
I agree with King Malta !

Cheers Woods, not surprising seeing I'm sure you know a thing or two about the game Wink
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:20 am

Who cares? Really big men getting uppity about a touch that wouldn't hurt a fly. They should combine the game with soccer.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 am

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/01/17/cleveland-cavaliers-matthew-dellavedova-voted-dirtiest-player

Looks like some people in the NBA (actually the majority of people) believe he is the dirtiest player in the league!

does he credit nick Maxwell for that award.

Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:46 pm

24 players and coaches voted, and could vote multiple times, not sure if that constitutes the majority of 400 odd players and coaches. But yeah he's kinda dirty, I love delly watched a lot of his games when he was at St. Mary's. I think a lot of this talk is due to the incidents happening during the playoffs and in the space of about three weeks, lot of national and international exposure
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:53 am

He's no Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:52 pm

So these supposed fans who've followed the game their whole life think Delly, dirty... Interesting, that very few had ever heard of him until he got the start in the playoffs when another Aussie boy (Kyrie) was injured... I wonder how many Cavs fans think he's dirty? I wonder how many Spurs fans thin Bruce was dirty, or how many Pistons fans thought the Bad Boys were? I won't say I'm impartial, but I did play college ball in the states, and I was coached by Brett Brown (current 76ers head coach) when he was in oz, so I like to think I know a little about the game. Diving for a loose ball, when an opposition player is standing over it or not, will get you playing time, it isn't like what Charles did to Hammer, it's just a demonstration of desire, intent, floor burns for the team... If doing that is dirty, I don't know what game I've been involved in for the last 20 years!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:09 pm

^

I'm not a big B ball fan but I'm guessing the prima donnas who Delli is showing up for desire and intent would consider him dirty.

Tony Shaw was a dirty, slow, unskilled sledger and I would have happily bore his children when he captained us to the 1990 premiership.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:08 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I'm not a big B ball fan but I'm guessing the prima donnas who Delli is showing up for desire and intent would consider him dirty.

Tony Shaw was a dirty, slow, unskilled sledger and I would have happily bore his children when he captained us to the 1990 premiership.

I don't think that is the case. I think others have summed it up pretty well. Generally the kid is admired by all in the US for his hustle and effort. In a couple of very high profile moments, he did a few things that were so crude that they brought into question whether he used dirty tactics or at a minimum was reckless about the safety of others around him in a bad way.

Think of an aussie rules player who does slide tackles with the intent to cause ACLs. if that happens once, it could have been an accident. If you tend to injure people with your playing style (no matter how hard at it you are) I think even the tough and very un-American Strayans out there would agree that is where tough crosses the line. (PS: If you have no boundaries, then you condone the Greening hit, which I know none of us do). So we all have boundaries. I think when tough, becomes reckless disregard for causing serious injury, that is when you get called dirty(and you should).

Again, I think the reason Delli is tainted is because of some questionable things he did in VERY high profile moments that got a lot of attention (rather than him being generally dirty per se). I don't think he has shown a pattern of behavior that is anything other than hustle, but as others have said, all the majority of folks have to judge him by is a very small body of work.

PS: I love how Australians generally consider Americans to be prima donna's as if somehow Australians are tougher than Americans. There is so much evidence to suggest this is just Australian arrogance and stooped generalizations. For example, I would happily take the toughness of a slot receiver or inside Linebacker in the NFL against any so called tough guys that might play AFL. I would also say the US special forces are every bit as tough as their Australian counterparts.

To be clear, i'm not saying that Americans are tougher, just saying that the claim that aussies are tougher than the "prima donna American" is just horseshit!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:50 am

All good points, but to clarify i wasn't labelling all yanks as Prima Donna's, I intended to refer to the potentially 1 or 2 per Bball team who think their shit don't stink because of their money and fame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: