Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Travis Varcoe trade: mid year report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Big tick from me.

I was happy to get him as I had a feeling he'd be a good fit for us and he hasn't disappointed and has probably exceeded expectations. He's a lot more physical than I anticipated for one and his kicking and ball handling have been sublime. My only quibble is he can drift out of games but to counter that when the whips are really cracking he's shown a happy knack to bob up with an important touch, pressure act or goal to really provide a spark.

I'd give him a solid B+.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:50 pm

People forget how good the big H was for us, I'm happy with the trade but from an onfeild standpoint we aren't ahead, off feild we are though.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 pm

I was dead against recruiting Varcoe, couldn't stand him, soft, the next Woewodin.
He's started to turn me around.

I was wr......
Only half a season, let's not get carried away. Now finish that off for me and make me a believer Travis. Smile

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Defender wrote:
People forget how good the big H was for us back in 2010 and 2012 when he was a player with consistent impact.

Just corrected a little bit there. Smile H was excellent in his time but he lost his way and was a mere shadow of his former self over the last year or two. Apparently the move to Melbourne has been good for his form, but I couldn't really comment on that as I haven't see him play other than in the one game they played against us, where he was quite good.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 pm

King Monkey wrote:
I was dead against recruiting Varcoe, couldn't stand him, soft, the next Woewodin.

I was wr......
Only half a season, let's not get carried away. Now finish that off for me and make me a believer Travis. Smile

Cmon Fonzie, you can do it...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:10 pm

I was skeptical of his value when he arrived, but I've been mightily impressed. He's easily an improvement on Heritier.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:20 am

One must remeber that it isn't easy to slip straight into a new team and know everyone's nuances. Luke Ball (especially) and Darren Jolly had similarly slow starts. His game vs St Kilda showed that when he gives a crap, he really gives a crap and has a red hot dip. I'd like to see that more often.

I also feel too often this season he has dished off to the nearest Collingwood player due to his uncertainty in a new environment, and it kept p!ssing me off cos his ball use is much better than most of the players he kept handing the hot potato to. In recent weeks he looks to have become more comfortable to take the responsibility himself and not look like a ring-in, and is starting to look like an actual member of the team. I wouldn;t get too carried away yet.

I believe he was on te verge of being sent back to the reserves a few weeks ago (some of his games up forward flat out stunk, remember that dropped sitter in the forward pocket?), but he has repaid the faith shown by Buckley and co. of late. Hopefully he can keep it up.

[ C+ / B- ] ... with much upside

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:32 pm

5150 wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

I was wr......

Cmon Fonzie, you can do it...

Not yet.
But not afraid to if/when appropriate! Smile

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Defender wrote:
People forget how good the big H was for us, I'm happy with the trade but from an onfeild standpoint we aren't ahead, off feild we are though.

When considering the baggage associated with H, I think we came out of it very well on a number of fronts. As far as leadership is concerned, Varcoe is a positive influence and H was a distraction. Also the limitations of H was on show for all of us to see two weeks ago. His play at times reminded me of a rabbit in a spotlight.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Yep. I too was against picking up Varcoe. But week by week he has been winning me over.

I rated H, even though his input had been diminishing so I don't see the trade as as big a win as some of you do. It can be hard to judge as they are quite different players. But Varcoe has shown skill, speed and good desperation.

He had his Medhurst moment for mine that time he did 3 or 4 repeat efforts against StKilda and just about snapped young Lonies leg.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
One must remember that it isn't easy to slip straight into a new team

Have said this numerous times and continue to be surprised at the amount of posters who expect instant success or grand performances from any new player. It takes time for a variety of reasons and Travis will continue to improve. Good on him.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Loving Mr Varcoe's work.
H had speed to burst lines and kick an occasional bomb from outside 50. Loved his Grand Final Replay goal. Won't forget that one.
But Travis has at least H's speed, along with superior skills by hand and foot. Great pick up. Well done CFC. Their insight and analysis must have been far superior to many of us on this board. Funny that.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:52 pm

His skills and experience and ability have been great for our young lads.
He makes us a lot more dangerous.

www.facebook/the hybernators
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:57 pm

He brings X factor, just like Leon Davis used to do. We are full of anticipation when they are near the ball/goal or when the ball is in their hands. Go Pies!
darky the protector 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 pm

The most revered number at Geelong is of course no 5 that was given to him when he started . He has always been a player with great variety ,good finisher and most of all a solid cit.
Wonderful trade with the future in mind .H although a great player had at least 6 players for his spot also why shaw was considered dispensable.
thats great list management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: