Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Disfunctional entries & disfunctional forward line

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was good in NAB 1 without Cloke but when Cloke came back for NAB 2 it went back to being Crap Again
swoop 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:36 pm

I and what seems like most f the posts so far are struggling to understand the logic of the Cloke centric forays into the forward line.
At times it seems like the team is trying to get Cloke into the game and by doing so he is getting multiple spoilers with oppo runners waiting to rebound!
Whats the solution?

Well imo that is up to Cloke.
Is he capable of taking his game to the next level?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Do you think I should know if it is?
swoop 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:40 pm

It would help.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:40 pm

swoop wrote:
I and what seems like most f the posts so far are struggling to understand the logic of the Cloke centric forays into the forward line.
At times it seems like the team is trying to get Cloke into the game and by doing so he is getting multiple spoilers with oppo runners waiting to rebound!
Whats the solution?

Well imo that is up to Cloke.
Is he capable of taking his game to the next level?

Cloke to lead up the Ground and not stay back and try and Wrestle

swoop 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Ok,
but can he do it for 4 qtrs?
Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:10 pm

The players need to take some responsibility for kicking to Cloke when he is not in an advantageous position to win possession. It appears the players have far too much faith in Cloke's ability to wrestle and win position.

There needs to be a bit more strength from the coaching panel to hammer home the message that we need to kick to only those in an advantageous position i.e. on the lead.

If there is no-one in the forward 50 apart from opposition players then don't kick it there!! Hold it up even if they have to go backwards. How many times did the Pies player kick to the opposition in our forward 50 when they were not under pressure...just awfully frustrating.

Cory Gault is progressing and being a typical big guy is going to take time but he is certainly worth persisting with. However, in my opinion at this rate of improvement he will only be a fringe player who gets a game only if several others are injured or we are shockingly out of form this year. Next year he may be ahead of players like Jesse White and Lachlan Keefe as forward / ruck option.
Being young he doesn't get both hands to the ball in the marking contest enough. Hopefully the coaching panel can work with him on this facet of his game as when he does get both hands in the contest he is very good at clunking the ball and he can kick straight... a rare skill for a Collingwood key forward! With further body development and experience I have great hopes for Cory Gault to play the Leigh Brown role of 2010/11.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 pm

^ Oh, give our blokes some credit. We are two-thirds of the way there. We are pretty good at getting the pill, and we are pretty good at spotting a player on his own inside the 50 and passing it to his advantage. All we have to do now is teach them the other bit, which does seem to be a bit harder, the bit about getting the pill and passing it to a player on his own inside the 50 who is wearing a black and white jumper.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 am

Boot wrote:
The players need to take some responsibility for kicking to Cloke when he is not in an advantageous position to win possession. It appears the players have far too much faith in Cloke's ability to wrestle and win position.

There needs to be a bit more strength from the coaching panel to hammer home the message that we need to kick to only those in an advantageous position i.e. on the lead.

If there is no-one in the forward 50 apart from opposition players then don't kick it there!! Hold it up even if they have to go backwards. How many times did the Pies player kick to the opposition in our forward 50 when they were not under pressure...just awfully frustrating.

Spot on with this Boot, IMHO. I was at the game today and to me it looked like a bad habit has developed between Cloke and the delivering players. It's a sort of Catch 22 situation. Delivery into the forward line is too often bombed towards Cloke and so I think Clokey has developed the habit of just standing there waiting for them to bomb it to him. Sort of six of one and half a dozen of the other.

As you say, the players need to be taught not to continually target Cloke, unless he is on a clear lead. If he is standing there waiting for the long kick to come to him, pass it around, set it up until someone creates a viable lead. Clokey will soon re-learn that he has to lead and make a clean break on his opponent to warrant having the ball kicked to him.

He used to play that way when he was younger and it's just in recent years that he has taken to wrestling opponents rather than getting clear of them. Some of this may be because the delivery to him has been poor in recent years though, or perhaps he's lost some speed off the mark.

Whatever, it's a vicious cycle than needs to be broken.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 am

Surely we don't do this at training (or do we)?

We have a few decent lead up smaller forwards like Faz, Elliot (when he is back) and Goldsack and the midfielders look like they need to lower their eyes rather than bombing. It looked like they were doing it in the first half so maybe a bit of pressure or fatigue changed that in the second half.

The obvious one was in the 3rd qtr when Varcoe was streaming through the middle then kicked long to Cloke who was 1 on 3. Two magpies on their own at half forward so he needs to lower the eyes and go short to them.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:17 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Was good in NAB 1 without Cloke but when Cloke came back for NAB 2 it went back to being Crap Again

Yeah, all Cloke's fault.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 am

Boot wrote:

Cory Gault is progressing and being a typical big guy is going to take time but he is certainly worth persisting with. However, in my opinion at this rate of improvement he will only be a fringe player who gets a game only if several others are injured or we are shockingly out of form this year. Next year he may be ahead of players like Jesse White and Lachlan Keefe as forward / ruck option.
Being young he doesn't get both hands to the ball in the marking contest enough. Hopefully the coaching panel can work with him on this facet of his game as when he does get both hands in the contest he is very good at clunking the ball and he can kick straight... a rare skill for a Collingwood key forward! With further body development and experience I have great hopes for Cory Gault to play the Leigh Brown role of 2010/11.

Bingo!

And I'm not sure why people are trying to draw too much out of yesterdays game. Missing White, Frost, Keeffe, Witts, Moore and Reid as KPPs and lost Grundy half way through. Hardly the way we'll structure up come round 1.

Add the fact that it was Cloke's 1st NAB appearance and he was a little rusty.

As for the leading up the ground, (I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record here) Cloke apparently suffered all through 2014 with knee tendonitis so he was restricted to being a stay home and wrestle type (absolutely last time I mention this). Appears to be in good nick this year and was making some searching leads yesterday so I'd expect more of that as he gains some match fitness and we get a more settled foward structure.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:41 am

I could fall into the same bracket and say same old which in part looked like it, but...... in the proper season we’ll have bigger grounds, fitter and better prepared team, a consistent structure with Cloke, White, Elliott, Fasolo, Varcoe & Karnezis

Let’s not get too caught up in these games, Pies had around 8 first starters and Pendles Swan & Cloke playing their first game and we should have rolled a Carlscum team that jumped us by 6 goals with probably 5-6 out as well and you could say 3 good players amongst that lot.

Yes don’t think we’ll be top 4 side but we have a good young team and with a good run of injuries we could make the top 8.

Players like De Goey, Moore, Marsh, Scharenberg, Maynard & Abbott could surprise us and really come through.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:37 am

The delivery into the forward line was atrocious on Sunday but it was quite good against Hawthorn in our first practice match so there's definitely potential for consistency and for our forward line to kick big scores if all our forwards are up and about rather than being a non-existent threat up front.

However this problem will need to be addressed this year as our inability to kick big scores last year hurt us massively. Our defence did really well in the circumstances to reduce the score of the opposition in most games last year but sadly our forward line didn't step up especially when our inexperienced defence started fading away in the latter part of the year after a bright start to the year where these forward line problems were generally covered and not spoken about in length.

It's odd but not having Cloke against Hawthorn may have helped us due to our ability to be unpredictable and we actually hit our targets rather than kicking in hope and hoping Cloke would outmuscle his opponent. Personally I think Cloke is best suited to playing at CHF rather than at full forward where he's always double-teamed and robbed by the umpires in most games plus Cloke seems to have better accuracy in front of goal further out than he does when he's closer to the goals.

Fasolo, White, Karnezis and possibly Gault if he maintains his good pre-season form all need to step up this year if we're to kick big scores. They did well against Hawthorn but apart from White's obvious exclusion Fasolo and Karnezis provided very little up forward this week against Carlton. Gault is the only one who can really hold his head up high in this regard.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Jezza wrote:
The delivery into the forward line was atrocious on Sunday but it was quite good against Hawthorn in our first practice match so there's definitely potential for consistency and for our forward line to kick big scores if all our forwards are up and about rather than being a non-existent threat up front.

However this problem will need to be addressed this year as our inability to kick big scores last year hurt us massively. Our defence did really well in the circumstances to reduce the score of the opposition in most games last year but sadly our forward line didn't step up especially when our inexperienced defence started fading away in the latter part of the year after a bright start to the year where these forward line problems were generally covered and not spoken about in length.

It's odd but not having Cloke against Hawthorn may have helped us due to our ability to be unpredictable and we actually hit our targets rather than kicking in hope and hoping Cloke would outmuscle his opponent. Personally I think Cloke is best suited to playing at CHF rather than at full forward where he's always double-teamed and robbed by the umpires in most games plus Cloke seems to have better accuracy in front of goal further out than he does when he's closer to the goals.

Fasolo, White, Karnezis and possibly Gault if he maintains his good pre-season form all need to step up this year if we're to kick big scores. They did well against Hawthorn but apart from White's obvious exclusion Fasolo and Karnezis provided very little up forward this week against Carlton. Gault is the only one who can really hold his head up high in this regard.

it helped that we were playing the hawthorn reserves and they didn't care about the result.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: