Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Babies on Planes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
Joel wrote:
1061 wrote:
Your baby cries when I'm on a plane, I (and many others) WILL JUDGE YOU.

Deal with it!

Not sure if serious but...if you were to say anything to me I'd tell you to get stuffed. Deal with it.

Anyone who judges a parent of a crying baby (which they can't really control) is pretty moronic.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Maybe some Collingwood fans really ARE bloody morons.... Rolling Eyes

Sorry for you that you feel inclined to think that way Lazza but I'm just being honest in voicing a fact.

Much in the same way that if someone started farting loudly and smelly in a confined space with a group of people we'd all Judge Stui, I mean whoever was farting.

It's human nature to Judge.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 pm

You have kids 1061?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Joel wrote:
You have kids 1061?

Well I know people with Kids, isn't that how the argument goes Wink
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:37 pm

1061 wrote:
Joel wrote:
You have kids 1061?

Well I know people with Kids, isn't that how the argument goes Wink

Just curious, because I know how different it is after you have children. Most people that have had children would empathise with the parent rather than get pissed off with them.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 pm

1061 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Joel wrote:
1061 wrote:

Deal with it!

Not sure if serious but...if you were to say anything to me I'd tell you to get stuffed. Deal with it.

Anyone who judges a parent of a crying baby (which they can't really control) is pretty moronic.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Maybe some Collingwood fans really ARE bloody morons.... Rolling Eyes

Sorry for you that you feel inclined to think that way Lazza but I'm just being honest in voicing a fact.

Much in the same way that if someone started farting loudly and smelly in a confined space with a group of people we'd all Judge Stui, I mean whoever was farting.

It's human nature to Judge.

True, however I thought in might have been also human nature to empathise with or understand another person's position. The fact that you don't have kids doesn’t excuse you, same as when male gynaecologists were allowed to practice irrespective of the fact that they had never had kids. Intelligence and knowledge beats the urge to judge harshly those in whose shoes you have never walked in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Where is the Parents of these noisy kids empathy to the other passengers?

Is there any reason to take a young child on a Plane or Bus for a long trip when you could drive to the destination with planning and a little discomfort.

*Please can I ask you do not go on about me being barren you do not now my circumstances for being childless.
I may not know parents of screaming kids circumstances, but I will say my circumstance was not a lifestyle choice and doesn't effect anyone else's enjoyment of life!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:55 pm

1061 wrote:
Is there any reason to take a young child on a Plane or Bus for a long trip when you could drive to the destination with planning and a little discomfort.

I can't imagine many situations where that would be possible. For instance, our flight was from Melbourne to the Gold Coast. How long would that take to drive, maybe two days of eight-hour drives plus overnight stays and then the same on the way back? We only had a week off, and weren't really that keen to spend four days of our seven-day holiday on the road with a baby, just so other plane passengers could enjoy two hours worth of silence.

At the end of the day, crying babies are a fact of life. They're at the supermarket, on the tram and in the park. You're never going to get rid of them, so I think the best advice is to go to a designated quiet place (home, library or cinema), embrace occasional noise as a fact of life or else buy some headphones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:03 pm

David wrote:
1061 wrote:

I can't imagine many situations where that would be possible. For instance, our flight was from Melbourne to the Gold Coast. How long would that take to drive, maybe two days of eight-hour drives plus overnight stays and then the same on the way back? We only had a week off, and weren't really that keen to spend four days of our seven-day holiday on the road with a baby, just so other plane passengers could enjoy two hours worth of silence.

The other lifestyle choice is to not go to the Gold Coast or where ever and stay local to your home!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:25 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I'm always torn, and I usually end up erring on the baby's side and suffering through it!

On one trip to South Korea I endured repeated, hard kicks to the back of the seat all flight because the father just couldn't control his kids. The poor bloke was trying to do his best and the kids were hyperactive little blighters, so what could I do? Make the bloke feel like crap when he clearly had no hope?

If the plane is not full you could always look for vacant seats and slip away without causing offence by pretending you're going for a walk or whatever.

Budget airlines presumably mean budget flight attendant supervision, too. Ideally, they should be on the lookout for such things and try to alleviate them.

Using Starbucks as a playground is quite a different matter, though Mad

If the kids were big enough to reach to kick the back of your seat, they should know how to behave for a reasonable amount of time. Calls for distractions, colouring books iPad, whatever. And if that don't work, threaten a smack! And then yes, smack!

I find the kicks more annoying than the crying, and yes I say something if I'm getting kicked same as at the footy! Crying babies drive me to distraction in the supermarket, airplanes, wherever, but if the parent is doing their best to appease the child fair enough, but so many parents these days don't seem to notice it! I judge parents who are doing nothing to appease the situation. Coming back from Hawaii there was a heap of little kids, only one baby cried a bit,but it wasn't bad, all the parents had thought ahead, they had enough distractions, same as I used to do. In fact I still do! iPads, a book, if there is no telly! I remeber one of mine screaming on landing one time, because her ears hurt, but people could see we were doing our best to help her.

Asking parents to stay home is a bridge to far, but certainly there is an expectation, as in a restaurant, shopping centre, that reasonable consideration will be given to others on the plane.

Me I just wear ear plugs and up the volume! I love to fly. I don't let it get too me!

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Last edited by 3.14159 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Joel wrote:
1061 wrote:

Deal with it!

Well that really depends on the effort the parent is making to settle their baby or control their little darlings of all ages.

Some parents make little effort especially with older than baby ones - why exactly should I or other travellers have to just deal with it???

Why can't they put them all in one section of the plane - then they can all sympathise and emphasise together Razz

And nope we don't have kids but we used to know some people who did!

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I was flying on a late nigh flight from Nadi to Melbourne and it was half full. I had 3 seats to myself and the row in front was empty. 20 minutes into the flight a couple with a very young baby dropped the bassinet into the seats in front and one said "Good, if he cries the hostie can look after her and we can continue sleeping". After they left I alerted the Hostie to what had happened and she was less amused than me. She walked up to the pass engers and in a lous voice. "Excuse me, are you the couple who abandoned their child 10 seats away. Well not only is it inconsiderate to other passengers it won't work. Your baby is travelling free. I have no obligation to pick him up, change his nappy, wipe away his vomit or calm him down. I have to serve breakfast to the other passengers in a few hours and I don't think they want their meals contaminated by baby poo, baby sick or dribble. Take your baby back to your seat NOW".

But in the OP a business class passenger doesn't have any more rights than economy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:41 pm

think positive wrote:
but if the parent is doing their best to appease the child fair enough, but so many parents these days don't seem to notice it! I judge parents who are doing nothing to appease the situation.

Agreed.

think positive wrote:
Asking parents to stay home is a bridge to far, but certainly there is an expectation, as in a restaurant, shopping centre, that reasonable consideration will be given to others on the plane.

I don't mean stay home, there are some wonderful holiday resorts within driving distance for parents with kids who may have behavioral issues. Let them put up with the kicking of the seats or the constant crying in the confines of their own car.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:44 pm

You know what they say about those who judge other.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:07 pm

ronrat wrote:
I was flying on a late nigh flight from Nadi to Melbourne and it was half full. I had 3 seats to myself and the row in front was empty. 20 minutes into the flight a couple with a very young baby dropped the bassinet into the seats in front and one said "Good, if he cries the hostie can look after her and we can continue sleeping". After they left I alerted the Hostie to what had happened and she was less amused than me. She walked up to the pass engers and in a lous voice. "Excuse me, are you the couple who abandoned their child 10 seats away. Well not only is it inconsiderate to other passengers it won't work. Your baby is travelling free. I have no obligation to pick him up, change his nappy, wipe away his vomit or calm him down. I have to serve breakfast to the other passengers in a few hours and I don't think they want their meals contaminated by baby poo, baby sick or dribble. Take your baby back to your seat NOW".

But in the OP a business class passenger doesn't have any more rights than economy.

Child services should have been waiting to meet the plane- WTF! Seriously, I never let my babies out of sight til the day they walked into kindy! I just DONT GET THAT!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: