Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cronulla .... WTF is in the water?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tess wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
I did not blame multiculturalism at all, that was another poster!

Hmmmm, and who would THAT poster be?

actually now that you point it out........I saw the other post with Multiculturalism in it a few down from me.....and lo and behold when I've gone back to check who wrote what, its actually the post you posted from another site.....

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:20 am

This is another ugly event in our history. I agree very much with what london dave said.Thugs on both sides have more in common with each other than they think. howard's comments are a slap in the face to all concerned and illustrates what a pathetic garden gnome he is. How this guy was voted in is beyond me. This stuff will only fuel more anger hatred and fear that has been smirreing for a while and will allow cowards on both sides to step out and cause trouble. This is patriotism gone very wrong.

This bloke said to me today " if we have an open door policy and let everyone in they will bring their problems".

And I said " yeah the aboriginals must sick to death of all of us"

He went very very quiet.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:40 am

Congratulations, London Dave ... you have just won the Victoria Park Tavern Brownlow Medal ...

... for the Best and Fairest post of 2005.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:13 pm

What happened was a joke in the respect that innocent people were targetted on the day. The way the people acted was gutless and stupid. However, when people have enough, or when they reach boiling point they simply crack. That is not an excuse for the attacks on innocent pople on Sunday, but is a reason behind the people gathering.

The media have ALOT to answer for in all this. Most people probably wouldn't have even heard about the 'gathering' that was going to occur last Sunday if it wasn't for the media repeating the story over and over gain in the lead up to the event. The media sensationalise everything, and that too has a large impact. The media will tell 95% lies before telling 5% truth.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm

So Joel, are you saying that the people who were attacked prior to this (the lifeguards) were not innocent? What about the schoolgirl that was pack raped? Surely, you're not saying she deserved it!

The guilty ones in all this are the 'sniper' groups, those 3-4 gang members who stalk their prey, then when their victim stands up to them, they quickly SMS for back up.

Yes, a lot of victims targetted were innocent, but who is really to blame in all this?

Hooked
thesleepysupporter Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:44 pm

Yes i think it is disgusting, but the lebanese community is not faultless in this whole debacle.

Both sides are at fault, both sides have reason to be angry but there is no excuses for their actions.

I lived in sydney for only a year so i can't fully understand the dynamics of the different ethnicities but i do know that the difference between sydney and melbourne is that, even though they are both racial melting pots, sydney has not yet settled in to accepting each race and working together and stop being lebanese, chinese, etc. and start being australian.

- Dean Martin
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:53 pm

London Dave is spot on. Anyway, what are these so called 'Australian values' people keep raving on about? My values have got nothing in common with those of lying Johnny Howard, or his creation Pauline Hanson and her cheer squad amongst the neo-nazi Sydney disc jocks like Alan Jones. This country is a country of immigrants, and no-one is any more Australian than anyone else. If anything, migrants - from Lebanon or anywhere else - have a greater claim on being Australian because they have chosen to be Australian, whereas the rest of us are only Australians by an accident of birth.

Quite frankly, when I saw those mobs of gutless, brainless pissheads, shouting "aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi", and bashing up anyone who looked mediteranean, it reminded me of how nazism started on the streets of Berlin in the 1930s.

It's also related to the mindless nationalist jingoism which has been growing in recent years, under lying Johnny Howard. All these pilgrimages to Gallipoli and the increasing profile of ANZAC day parades are simply promoting mindless patriotism. We have the temerity to demand of the turks that there be monuments to our soldiers who died at Gallipoli, but we ignore the fact that we were invading their country! What if Japan wanted to build monuments to Japanese soldiers who died trying to invade Australia? Do we ever stop and think about the 4 million (that's right MILLION) Vietnamese that we and the Yanks slaughtered during the Vietnam war?

My grandfather's brother was killed at Gallipoli, and I think it is vital that we remember the fallen. But we should not use such events to whip up nationalistic fervour. Instead, we use these events to remember the horrible waste of human life, and to redouble our efforts to avoid future wars.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Howard government's policies of invading Iraq, and treating refugees like terrorists, we are demonising whole communities and spreading fear and hostility around the nation. This is certainly not the Australia that I love.[/code]
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:02 pm

I have read (I've never lived in Sydney) that the problem lies with the fact that migrants are 'forced' to live in the same area.

For example, Cabramatta (also known as Vietnamatta by locals) is 'home' to the Vietnamese, and Lakemba (aka Lakembanon) the Lebanese.

This only induces these religious groups to maintain their former country's ties, and thus, not allowing them to fully learn how to live in the Australia society, as we know it.

Now, I'm not saying that Melbourne is any different - Footscray and Springvale come to mind - but migrants here have greater opportunity to live where they choose.

Hooked
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:39 pm

Dale61 wrote:
I have read (I've never lived in Sydney) that the problem lies with the fact that migrants are 'forced' to live in the same area.

For example, Cabramatta (also known as Vietnamatta by locals) is 'home' to the Vietnamese, and Lakemba (aka Lakembanon) the Lebanese.

This only induces these religious groups to maintain their former country's ties, and thus, not allowing them to fully learn how to live in the Australia society, as we know it.

Now, I'm not saying that Melbourne is any different - Footscray and Springvale come to mind - but migrants here have greater opportunity to live where they choose.

If your community was being portrayed as supporters of terrorism would you want to live with the 'rest of Australia' or would you feel safer surrounded by your own kind?

Let me tell you, the 'Australian society' as you know it, is probably not the Australian society as I know it. This is the problem - some people have this wierd idea that their way of living is the 'right way' and that everyone else should adopt it too. Live and let live I say.

Don't forget that last year there were riots by 'aussies' against police just south of cronulla, which had nothing to do with race. Unfortunately in rotten Johnny Howard's Australia our society is divided into winners and losers. Sometimes, the 'losers' get a bit angry at being fuc#@d over!

If we don't address the social problems which are at the core of all this mess, it will get out of hand very quickly. It's not going to be fixed by more police powers, but by a whole change in direction of Government policies and attitudes.
thesleepysupporter Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
If anything, migrants - from Lebanon or anywhere else - have a greater claim on being Australian because they have chosen to be Australian, whereas the rest of us are only Australians by an accident of birth.

you can't be serious...anyone who is an australian citizen is equally deserving to be one.

- Dean Martin
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:09 pm

Who are you talking about?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:16 pm

thesleepysupporter wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
If anything, migrants - from Lebanon or anywhere else - have a greater claim on being Australian because they have chosen to be Australian, whereas the rest of us are only Australians by an accident of birth.

you can't be serious...anyone who is an australian citizen is equally deserving to be one.

I was using irony. Ofcourse we are all equally Australian. However, often those of UK stock, seem to think that they are more Australian than migrants from other countries. I was trying to make the point that at least migrants have chosen this country, whereas people like myself (and possibly you) are only Australians by accident. That is a statement of fact.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:47 pm

I think the only solution is to throw all lebanese gang members and dumbass surfies in jail Wink
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:18 pm

Dale61 wrote:

That is quite true Dale - but perhaps they choose to live in areas where they are close to relatives or others speak their language and have the same cultural beliefs - rather than are forced to

There is a different "feel'" to Cabramatta than say Footscray. I don't know why this should be - different ideology or mindsets between Sydney siders and Melbourneites maybe ??

I grew up in Sydney and had an uncle in Canley Vale - a few years ago on a visit we missed the station and ended up in Cabramatta - it was not a pleasant experience I can assure you. And yet I work at a large health service in the West and have never felt like that when I go to Footscray

I agree with LD - patriotic hand over the heart propaganda does more harm than good

And Tess you are right PC gone mad has resulted in a humorless society that can't laugh at itself - like we used to. It may have its positive aspects - but IMO also some fairly negative ones.

Whatever way you look at it - it is a sad state of affairs that with the current mob mentality is only likely to get worse Rolling Eyes

And in the end it matters squat - like it or not everyone bleeds the same colour blood!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:07 pm

bucks4ever wrote:
Dale61 wrote:

That is quite true Dale - but perhaps they choose to live in areas where they are close to relatives or others speak their language and have the same cultural beliefs - rather than are forced to

There is a different "feel'" to Cabramatta than say Footscray. I don't know why this should be - different ideology or mindsets between Sydney siders and Melbourneites maybe ??

I grew up in Sydney and had an uncle in Canley Vale - a few years ago on a visit we missed the station and ended up in Cabramatta - it was not a pleasant experience I can assure you. And yet I work at a large health service in the West and have never felt like that when I go to Footscray

I agree with LD - patriotic hand over the heart propaganda does more harm than good

And Tess you are right PC gone mad has resulted in a humorless society that can't laugh at itself - like we used to. It may have its positive aspects - but IMO also some fairly negative ones.

Whatever way you look at it - it is a sad state of affairs that with the current mob mentality is only likely to get worse Rolling Eyes

And in the end it matters squat - like it or not everyone bleeds the same colour blood!

Well said bucks4ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: