Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies back down on Millane plan!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD! im glad they should have asked his family and made sure they were fine with it before they made the idea public
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:48 am

i cant believe they didnt ask his family in the first place (if they didnt that is).
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:08 pm

ScottyMac wrote:
It was declared retired forever I thought.... Why dig up the past... we have a great thing going down at the club why screw with it.... History is history... let the present create there own history!!!

I think they said "indefinitely", so that left it open for it to make a comeback.
dilly5 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:12 pm

I agree- they should have definitely checked with the family beforehand- but as always, we will never know the full story of who knew or said or felt what- only what the Herald Sun tells us.

But the bottom line is that Collingwood has done the right thing by backing out and apologising to the family, and you have to pay them some credit for that. I think it's a lot more than many other clubs would have done.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:25 pm

you know it is entirely possible that the family were not completely honest with the club over this thing. maybe they weren't strong in their opposition until others vented their anger, and a newspaper came knocking. just a thought.

call me a cynic.

at least the club had enough guts to admit that it was wrong, even if it thought it had covered the right bases beforehand.
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:13 pm

Don't try and put any other spin on it, the club stuffed up and they have been made to look stupid but it takes more courage to admit that you were wrong and rectify the situation than it does to continue and make the mistake even worse so congrats on the change of mind.

Lets hope more care is taken when dealing with emotional issues in the future
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:42 pm

i reckon we did the right thing thank god the board back down
NicoleD 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:57 pm
Post subject: millane's numberReply with quote

This issue has certainly divided the fans but I think Collingwood made the right decision. I don't think I want "unknowns" (future hacks) running around with the number 42 of the great man on their backs. Maybe if it was the captain wearing his number it may have been better received.

Also I though I read that the club spoke to the Millane family and said they were thinking about doing it and it then appeared in the Herald Sun the next day.

Don't forget that Millane's stupidity probably cost us a premiership (Perhaps like Pebbles did this year !!!!). I still love both of them though.

Go Pies forever
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:22 pm

Assasin wrote:
Number 42 should now be declared retired FOREVER.

Oh, Amen to that brother.

Now for that cuppa and a good lay down.....

Dyso
magpiefanatic 

Aged Pensioner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:59 pm

I do not see what the fuss is about...why don't we retire number 22 as well as a mark of respect to Bobby Rose. Eventually we will have players running around with 156 and upwards on their back cos you gonna have to retire the number of every hero.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:12 pm

tessa403 wrote:
1, We did say the jumper is retired. No -one said forever.
2, The Millane family cannot be allowed to influence desicions at our club, we have a Board for that.
3, That means only Darren Millane's name will be seen on the 42 locker.

Tess,

1. Perhaps we need to read between the lines of what our then-president really meant.
2. No, however Denise Millane in particular must be shown absolute respect here.
3. And that's the whooooooooole idea......

Dyso
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:31 pm

I believe the club had good intentions and its idea was brilliant, darren millane without doubt was a champion player and we will never forget him, his presence in the 1990 finals series and grand final was legendary what a great honor for a young player to wear the number 42 jumper.

I believe its time to bring back the great number 42 and i dont believe its disrespectful to do so, i reckon darren millane would be thrilled to see a young player crashing through packs wearing his number.

I dont want to sound horrible for saying this but since when do familys own jumper numbers darren millane made 42 famous not his family, i think its time to move on and allways remember darren millane and what a great way in doing so by having a youngster wearing that number.

tomaraya 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:18 am

i am pretty upset at the fact that the club has had to shelve what i thought was a fantastic gesture by the club.having the no: 42 gathering dust does nothing to guarantee that this great player will be remembered into this next century and beyond.
i thought that the fact that millane's no.42 would still be running around with no other player being able to accumulate more than 20 odd games in it was a fantastic idea.this would preserve millane's name as the only one on locker 42.
like i've said before,millane always made a special effort in making new players at the club feel welcome.this in part made him a revered and popular player amongst those that played with him,including mickey mcguane. this gesture would've ensured that darren could continue to do this forever and a day,albeit only in a symbolic way.

p.s good to have nick's back.thanx to those involved in the resserection.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:28 pm

It was a great decision at the time but now I feel things are different? There are many who see Daics as a bigger Collingwood legend than Millane. Who looks at presti and thinks "you are not worthy you try hard." I know I don't.

What "honour" does anyone get out of wearing the no.35? There is no added stigma attached to it apart from knowing who used to wear it. By giving our no.1 draft pick each year the no.42 DM's name is brought up every year....the memory goes on forever. This idea gave the no.42 some added stigma. Now it will just be another forgotten number, just like no.35 will be in 30 years time....that's right FORGOTTEN. We will remember it but generations to come will have no idea ....just like those legends I can't remember many names of from the 1920's.

This may have been handled better but I for one am bitterly disappointed that I won't see the no.42 again.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:43 pm

Assasin wrote:
From the book 'PANTS' E.McGuire & J.Main

Millane wore the number 42 guernsey from his first match at Victoria Park and soon made the seemingly mundane numerals famous. Now , of course , Collingwood has "retired" the number and NO Collingwood player will EVER wear 42 again. It was the GREATEST tribute Collingwood could pay to the man who had made his mark on the famous club within weeks of his arrival.
Number 42 should be retired FOREVER Exclamation

Newsflash for you folk that say his number 42 shouldn't be retired because we didn't retire 22 after Bob Rose retired (left us to coach for $$) or didn't retire 35 after Peter Daicos was "retired" (sacked by fatguts Matthews)

A) Bob Rose wasn't killed in a car accident in the prime of his career and prime of his life. Yes, his absence too cost us another premiership or 2, BUT it was his decision to leave the club for financial reasons.

B) Peter Daicos is still alive and kicking (thank God). You can bet your own life that not a day goes by when he doesn't miss his mate Darren. You really needed to be at those games to witness the damage Daics and Dazza did to the opposition. Truly my fondest football memories.

So in closing, can we all see the reason why his number 42 was retired in the most absolutely extraordinary circumstance imaginable. And if for no other reason than to make his mother happy, it should stay that way.

No LIVING player is so great that their number shouldn't be re-issued at some period after their retirement from the game. G. Ablett included.

Dyso

mods, can we lock this off now please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: