Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#29 Joe Richards

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Spewin' buckets he didn't score a goal with his first kick.
That would have been what, two in two weeks counting Sully, and maybe an AFL first?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:27 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
IS this kid any relation to Louie, as doggies Ted Richards is ??

Ed not Ted

Ummm I think his full name is Edward, and Ted is short for Edward , E J Whitten was Edward, but always called Ted Whitten. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:31 pm

I prefer to call him Smokin' Joe! Cool
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:52 pm

I got to have an up close look at Richards on Sunday.
You would not be able to pick him out of a local U16 team, he's that small and wispy.
A remarkable achievement for him to be drafted by an AFL club, let alone have such a debut.

An undersized, skillful forward who's also a teacher. Gee, I wonder how Ben Reid talked Fly into drafting him...
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:26 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Ummm I think his full name is Edward, and Ted is short for Edward , E J Whitten was Edward, but always called Ted Whitten. Surprised

I've never heard him referred to as "Ted Richards".

There was a Ted Richards who played for Sydney and Essendon several years before Ed was drafted into the system.

Boot 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 am

I put my hand up to admit that I gave Joe Richards no chance of making it at AFL level, but I was pleasantly surprised with how competitive and effective Richards was in his debut on Sunday.
I will say he was lucky to make that debut against a severely weakened West Coast Eagles team without Yeo and Waterman, but you can only beat who the opposition put against you so good for him to do so well on debut.
My skepticism about Richard's prospects at the AFL level was based on his size and what I thought of his lack of pace but that didn't seem to be a problem on Sunday.
It does worry me a bit having a team with all of Richards, Noble and Bobby Hill in it. Makes for a very light team that could potentially be monstered at AFL level, but we all know "Speed Kills" and having the clean hands and footy smarts, along with the courage to contest, gives smaller guys the opportunity to add to the team success. Of course that is one of the great things about Aussie Rules footy in that this game allows players of all shape and size to be able to impact the result.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:43 am

^Dermott Brereton gave insight re what he viewed that Sullivan, Harrison and Richards possessed was the innate quality of being natural footballers.
AFL lists and our own have been populated with athletes over footballers at different times.
We've all played with them, the bloke that was a gun 400m runner that we thought would make a great winger but had no footy nous.
These three look right at home with their play reading, ability to get into space and decision making under pressure. Sidey has it, may he show them the way then pass the baton to one or all of these.
All going well were going to have selection headaches once we work through the at capacity casualty ward we currently have. If not, they'll be getting the 4077th mobile tents out on Gosh's Paddock.

Stinger 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:25 am

Watche the replay last night, very impressed. Super quick, knows where to position himself, great vision and kicking and best of all clean hands. How good was his pick up at pace?!?
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:02 pm

How a YouTube clip launched a country star to the big time

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1130322/how-a-youtube-clip-launched-country-star-joe-richards-to-the-big-time-at-collingwood

'Two years ago, when word spread that AFL clubs were making the trip up the Hume Highway to watch the then 22-year-old play, Joe Richards knew he needed a manager. He signed with John Meesen, from Kapital Sports Management. The YouTube video was his idea - and it worked.

Geelong, Richmond, Greater Western Sydney, Collingwood, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs were some of the clubs that either met with Richards, spoke to those around him or made the trek to Wangaratta to discover what all the fuss was about.

"I was injured for a lot of last year and it teaches you diligence with what you're doing, how you're training, things away from football," he said.

"I learnt a lot about what it takes to become an AFL footballer. The good thing about having two years on your contract is you have a little bit of time to work it out."'
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:33 pm

'IT'

We should not be over enamoured with height, nor brute strength. (although it does take a village)

If you are good enough, there is a spot in the side. I'd love a tall forward, but in reality give me a 192cm Pavlich or 186cm Brereton, or 188cm Dunstall, I will be very happy indeed.

Watching Joe Richards I am reminded of Kevin Bartlett, if Bartlett is the example, we can look forward to anything.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:01 pm

I enjoyed the fact that Richards was worth about three Harley Reids, on the day.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:25 pm

What? rival clubs already sniffing at uncontracted Richards...

Collingwood speedster reportedly gaining rival interest: AFL trade news
https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood-speedster-reportedly-gaining-rival-interest-afl-trade-news-150700/

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 2:17 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
What? rival clubs already sniffing at uncontracted Richards...

Collingwood speedster reportedly gaining rival interest: AFL trade news
https://www.zerohanger.com/collingwood-speedster-reportedly-gaining-rival-interest-afl-trade-news-150700/

Bet it's from an AFL club/s with VFL crowd turn outs...
Yes; those crowds get the ol' adrenaline going for the players lol

My advice: stick around, even if it's for a few dollars less than you might be worth by end of 2024....

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:41 am

Meredith1965 wrote:
I enjoyed the fact that Richards was worth about three Harley Reids, on the day.

Maybe not just on the day.

The media hype over here with regards to Reid is nauseating. Full wrap arounds of the West Australian every week... it's an absolute joke.

Richards numbers are on par, or better than Reid!

Averages this season.

Reid - 17.9 disposals - 2.1 marks - 3.3 tackles - 0.8 goals.

Richards - 17.3 disposals - 3.7 marks - 4.7 tackles - 1 goal.

I had an awesome view from the second level on the wing and watched the game intently last night.... whilst the rest in our box got royally maggotted on Bullet Bourbons, bottles of wine and gallons of beer.

Richards reads the play like a 100 gamer and knows where to be, he's going to be a huge talent.

Last edited by Skids on Sat May 25, 2024 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 12:01 pm

^ yep, the boy is fast becoming my favourite player. From the minute he arrived, he has looked like a class AFL quantity. Pressure, speed, both sides of the body, game awareness and capable overhead given his size. A great find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: