Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Davis Factor

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:19 am
Post subject: The Davis FactorReply with quote

Leon Davis polarises opinion amongst Collingwood supporters. He is seem by some as a luxury player whose undoubted talent shines only fleetingly when required. Other, myself included, see him as being as vital a player as any on our list.

It is fair to say that I feel a sense of ownership with Leon. I feel I am owed a little bit after watching him struggle through the first 50 games. Every now and then something would happen to make it all seem worthwhile and to keep the belief in Leon. This would be followed by games where he would struggle in the most basic aspects of football. My ownership started to bloom however when Leon went from the butt of radio jokes to a small forward of the highest calibre, someone to turn games and influence the team as a whole.

Over the next few seasons his development continued, suddenly he was running through the midfield picking up damaging possessions all over the field. Chasing, tackling and demanding respect. Along the way he became the first indigenous player to reach 100 games for the club, no small accomplishment at a club with a history like ours. There was a sense of calm and maturity in Leon that you could see not only in him but in the way the playing group approached him.

Then came last season. Leon was brilliant. All Australian. His first half of the season was as good as any at Collingwood but there was a decline towards the second half of the season. Then came the finals and the "end" of Leon Davis in eyes of many.

Leon has played in 2 losing GF's. His output in both was marginal at best. His age, inexperience and in the case of the second game, the teams general performance were used to excuse him. The 2009 finals were different however. People expected Leon to deliver now. He owed us! History will only show we lost the finals games it will never show the vitriol aimed at predominantly one player; Leon Davis.

Suddenly Leon went from All Australian hero to trade bait for anyone who had ever shown an ounce of talent. Names from the West became daily linked with the man who weeks before we believed could help us to the promised land. "We will never win a flag with Leon Davis in the team!" While it could be argued that we never won a flag with Nathan Buckley in the team either, most Collingwood fans I know did wonder whether to move forward we had to in fact sacrifice one of our "Legends" to move closer to the prize. (Legend- At this stage Leon will be the leading Indigenous player at our club indefinitely, possibly forever with players careers being impacted upon by free agency etc).

So what has 2010 shown us. Well 2010 so far has been a mixed season indeed. At the end of the day we could be second. Lose and we could sit on the same points as Carlton a team we genuinely think we are far better than. 2010 has shown us that we still have yet to put the finishing touches to the jigsaw. We may have closed some gaps but still are yet to get the job done against Geelong and St Kilda. So who is the difference maker this year? Who will help us make the difference?

Watching the game in Brisbane last week all I could think as I watched the ball ping in and out of our forward line was "we miss Leon". His chase and tackle, his general energy when the ball hits the ground, the flicks, tap ons and general Leonesque plays. He may not have been 2009 spectacular thus far but he has been better and more valuable than many give him credit for. Leon is the glue that makes our forward line stick. He is the player that a youngster Like Dawes needs at his feed to reward him for crashing a pack or creating a contest.

Leon's form hasn't been All Australian. It hasn't been the Leon we know. He starts today half way through the season. Rested after a weeks golf and poised I believe to be the difference as the pies fly towards the finals. If Leon can capture a good burst of form and more importantly confidence he is the missing piece in a team that is really doing well without his 3 or 4 goals. If Leon takes hold of a few games it allows the pressure off of Sidebottom and Beams. It also allows the "Luxury" or bringing in Brad Dick from injury, knowing that he won't be doing it alone.

I Love Leon Davis. I feel I have the right too and I feel I have the right to watch him set 2010 on fire. I feel that I also have the right to cheer that little bit louder when the boy I have watched grow to a man holds aloft the premiership cup. I also have the right to dream that it is Leon who kicks his 4th with a banana from the boundary after the siren to win it.

Leon. I love to watch you play. I love the sound the crowd makes when you get the ball and I know you can be the man to take us that extra step. It's time for the Davis factor.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Leon Davis gets back to his Best but excpet the for the 1st 2 Game this season he had done nothing
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:24 am

I have a theory on Leon this year. I feel that he's struggled towards the end of the season historically due to just not being able to run out the season, particularly last year when played in the midfield. This year he's been played primarily as a forward pocket, I think, to manage him in the first half of the season. If this is the case and he's not carrying an injury of significance then I would expect after his rest break to again become part of the midfield rotation and have plenty left in the tank come September.

If I'm wrong, then stick a fork in him, he's done. Brad Dick will take his spot in the Forward 50 and we've injected two future stars in Sidebottom and Beams into the midfield, but hopefully we haven't seen the last of Neon Leon.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:26 am

brilliant post.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:28 am

i reckon mm has stuffed him up.

throwing davis into the midfield now. maybe mm should tell davis to focus as forward player then when davis has his confidence up put him in midfield
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:38 am

Kingswood wrote:
brilliant post.

cheers. I got all emotional at the end Smile
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Only reason he polarises opinion is because a lot of supporters are idiotts, he is a jet and has been for a long time.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:36 pm

agree, brilliant emotional post - except the end - do you want to give us all heart failure?? AFTER the siren!! no thanks, 20 goal demolition for me!!

only like it close if it aint us!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Wokko wrote:
I have a theory on Leon this year. I feel that he's struggled towards the end of the season historically due to just not being able to run out the season, particularly last year when played in the midfield. This year he's been played primarily as a forward pocket, I think, to manage him in the first half of the season. If this is the case and he's not carrying an injury of significance then I would expect after his rest break to again become part of the midfield rotation and have plenty left in the tank come September.

If I'm wrong, then stick a fork in him, he's done. Brad Dick will take his spot in the Forward 50 and we've injected two future stars in Sidebottom and Beams into the midfield, but hopefully we haven't seen the last of Neon Leon.

i tend to agree with this assessment re the management of him. i also vaguely recall from a couple of years' back that davis had to build up his endurance before he could expect to be run through the midfield on a regular basis.

thoughtful post there gloveman. a nice change from the regular unsubstantiated potting he usually gets.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:42 pm

I agree on Leon, he is so important to our side, yet he is so maligned by many of our fans.

You look at the ins today, Medhurst, Leon, Brown and Fraser, and over time, all have been branded as not good enough in big games, yet they improve our side immensely when included.

I'm expecting to see the "old" Leon Davis and Medhurst show today, and it will simply put be the difference between the pies playing like they have the last 2 weeks, and playing better today and winning quite easily.

Leon, when fit, is in our top 10 players still, anyone who argues that really doesn't understand football.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:50 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Leon, when fit, is in our top 10 players still, anyone who argues that really doesn't understand football.

always love that sssertion that gets bandied about so much on this forum. Razz it's no coincidence they've rushed him straight back into the side.

RickyWatt23 Sagittarius

RickyWatt23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:32 pm

great post - well done and go Leon!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:34 pm
Post subject: Re: The Davis FactorReply with quote

GlovemanGayfer wrote:
At this stage Leon will be the leading Indigenous player at our club indefinitely, possibly forever with players careers being impacted upon by free agency etc).

For quite a whle, yes. Leon will hold this position until about 2025 when long-serving Collingwood champion, club captain, and triple Brownlow Medalist Bradley Dick retires after 352 games, 613 goals, and five premierships. In his farewell speech, Dickie pays tribute to his one-time mentor and good friend Leon Davis, who helped make it all possible.

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:38 pm
Post subject: Re: The Davis FactorReply with quote

Tannin wrote:

For quite a whle, yes. Leon will hold this position until about 2025 when long-serving Collingwood champion, club captain, and triple Brownlow Medalist Bradley Dick retires after 352 games, 613 goals, and five premierships. In his farewell speech, Dickie pays tribute to his one-time mentor and good friend Leon Davis, who helped make it all possible.

See kids.
Drugs can be a good thing........
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Wokko wrote:

That's my bloody theory! Copyright © Tannin, 2010!

I know it was a damn good post where I first said that because Defender branded it as my "worst post ever".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: