Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How is our reserves ruck depth

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheezy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:13 pm
Post subject: How is our reserves ruck depthReply with quote

Hi all, don't post often and to be honest this post does illustrate my lack of knowledge of the VFL team. All I know is what i hear from you guys!!! Obviously being in Adelaide makes it hard to get to any games, let alone VFL games.

Just wondering how our ruck stocks are at VFL level, because Lenny Clark is returning to Melbourne next year.

Lenny was looked at by the Pies, and other clubs, a few years ago. He was on the rookie list at Brisbane the same year as Cameron Wood. Brisbane picked up leuenberger and let him go. Since then he has returned to Adelaide and been playing league for West Adelaide as first ruck.

I know this could go into the draft/trade section but i just wanted to ask two questions in one. A) Do we have good ruck stocks in the VFL? B) Would we possibly consider picking up Lenny Clark next year?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, my understanding is that our ruck depth at reserve level is non existant. We have Crow, who was on our rookie list a few years ago and is serviceable as a ruck and KP back (actually, better tan serviceable down back) but we don't have anyone else.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 am

Keefe has had a run. Won't be officially listed until next year and is very green.
cheezy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. It sounds like Clark could be worth a look then, has been in good form of late.
Plays a similar style/role as wood i reckon, and is a similar age. Can push forward and be a target as well.
Not sure when we start looking at next year though, or whether he'd fit into our 'development' strategy.

GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I've seen Lenny play in the SANFL a couple of times when over is SA. He can play and from what I've seen at VFL level this year we need a ruckman. From memory Brissy got him up there on the recommendation of Shaun Rehn who had coached him or something. I think we could do a lot worse than look at him. Playing SANFL football would suggest that he is physically up to playing at VFL level as well. Also having been in the AFL system he would be able to provide support and advice to some of our rookies and younger players.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Wood/Bryan
Thoolan
Crow
Keefe
All ruck in our 2's

cheezy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Frank, does Thoolen ruck much at VFL level? I was of the impression it was more pinch hitting, and largely based at whatever end he was playing at the time (ie key forward or back) similar to Rocca or Cloke 'rucking' in the seniors when the ball is in the forward line.
As an aside, reading back over the question, if i gave the indication that i wanted someone to take away from the 'resting' ruckman (ie Wood or Bryan) I didn't mean that. I just thought a 'permanent' team ruckman might add some stability to developing midfielders. Obviously our third string listed ruckman would still play a great majority of gametime.
Gloveman's point about Clark's 'experience' isn't a bad one either, as he has been involved in the system to a certain extent.

Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:18 pm

cheezy wrote:
Frank, does Thoolen ruck much at VFL level? I was of the impression it was more pinch hitting, and largely based at whatever end he was playing at the time (ie key forward or back) similar to Rocca or Cloke 'rucking' in the seniors when the ball is in the forward line.

Correct, at this stage of his career he is just learning the craft. If the ball is in his area then he rucks.
I think with 1 or 2 good pre-seasons under his belt he will do a lot more of it.

Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 am

95% of the time guys who are delisted are no good.

99.5% of the time ruckman who are delisted are no good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: