Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#10 Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

kickit2me wrote:
I wouldn't call "approaching a contest with trepidation" intelligent play, especially when possession is gained by the opposition. I would though, classify it as lucky if the balls spills into his path.

Yep. Just dumb luck. No talent at all. Luckiest player alive if you think about it. I mean who else do you know that, with nothing other than dumb luck on his side, could get accidently gifted with 19 quality possessions in two quarters played against a side made up of the very best footballers in WA, SA, Qld, NSW, and the NT? Dunno why we picked him to play this week, really. You'd think he'd go kickless most of the day, given his lack of effort, courage and talent.
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Your highlighting one sentence out of many. If you read all the statements I made, and used your f***ing brain, you might get the meaning.

Okay..I'll simplify it for you.

2 players are going for the ball..one approaches with trepidation...one doesn't. If the player that goes in with trepidation receives the pill, it's more from luck than any god given skill.

Have people been taking idiot pills this week or what?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 am

Well, someone has.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:13 am

Off topic but on Pendles, does anyone know where he went to school?
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:30 am

Not the school of hard knocks, that's for sure!
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:37 am

kickit2me wrote:
kickit2me wrote:
I wouldn't call "approaching a contest with trepidation" intelligent play, especially when possession is gained by the opposition. I would though, classify it as lucky if the balls spills into his path.

Zakal wrote:
No they would be two mutually exclusive viewpoints of the same set of facts...not two points meant to be twisted together to make a marshmellow look like a genius.

Try two possibilities. Only one will eventuate. Trepidation will gift the ball to the opposition. Luck will have it fall in his path.

err, thats the point, they are two possible ways of interpreting the same situation. You say he goes in with trepidation and only luck results in him getting the ball...whereas I say he is a thinking player who is reading the player...and its that SKILL that results in him getting the ball in those situations. But again...its my opinion.

kickit2me wrote:

kickit2me wrote:
but when the ball is in some space, and the opposition and Pendles are in a position to win it

Zakal wrote:
Now you are criticising him for not winning the ball that is out in space...which is, by definition, a loose ball get or uncontested possession.

Ball in space. Two players, one from each team, go for it. Expect a clash of bodies, with the following results.

1. One player wins possession, either through toughness/skill/lucky bounce.
2. A free (for or against) from a rash tackle.
3. The status quo. A ball up.

This is not a loose ball get or an uncontested possession. It's a ball to be won.

No, i think its exactly what a loose-ball get is. The ball is loose, and its up to someone to take possession. People like Rhyce, Leon, Johnson, Davey do it far more than players like Buckley, Hodge, Mitchell etc, as more often than not it comes down to a players speed.

In fact, if this is what you are now getting at...i think i may understand a little more where you are coming from. But you need to look at how great players who DONT have blistering pace handle those situations before you criticise Pendles. Watch Buckley's last few games...especially against the Swans.

kickit2me wrote:

Zakal wrote:
Then when i said he's one of our leading contested ball winners and tacklers, you said he wins plenty of the contested ball...but only when he's not travelling at pace or in a pack situation, not in open space, and then kindly put it down to Luck rather than hard work or skill.

The reference to luck you've skewed in your favour.

If he approaches a contest with trepidation (no skill or hard work involved there) and the ball falls into his hands, what else is it? I never said his possessions in tight were all about luck.

"IF he approaches a contest with trepidation"...IF. You're opinion, not to be confused with fact. As a result, using it to form some quasi-logical conclusion that "its trepidation therefore if he gets the ball it must be luck" is absurd. Its inherently circular, and doesn't prove anything. Its a "boot-straps" argument.
blacknwhiteatheart 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:20 am

last two weeks bloody cant kick, shocking disposal.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 am

blacknwhiteatheart wrote:
last two weeks bloody cant kick, shocking disposal.

Yeah - I think he has a Back Injury

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm
Post subject: Scott Pendlebury hoopla nets Malthouse seal of approvaReply with quote

Quote:
N almost four decades as a player and coach, Mick Malthouse has rarely seen the qualities possessed by Scott Pendlebury.

Playing beyond his age and experience, Pendlebury, 20, a 50-game Magpies midfielder, is a vital link in a team often criticised for a lack of output in its engine room.

He will be pivotal tomorrow night when the seventh-placed but in-form Collingwood meet the struggling, sixth-placed Swans at Telstra Dome in a match which will decide much about both teams' finals aspirations.

"He's one of these players where the game stops around him and he sorts it out," Malthouse said. "That's very rare.

"I liken him to a chess player rather than checkers because a chess player has to think three or four moves in front.

"He thinks about these three or four moves while he's in action. That to me makes a very, very talented player."

So impressive was Pendlebury last season, in his first full year of AFL, that he ran second in the Rising Star Award and second in Collingwood's best and fairest.

All of this has an air of unreality given that, from the age of five to 17, Pendlebury's first sporting love was basketball.

Big Wrapes for Pendles by MM

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24220472-2722,00.html

Last edited by Dave The Man on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Scott Pendlebury hoopla nets Malthouse seal of approvaReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:
N almost four decades as a player and coach, Mick Malthouse has rarely seen the qualities possessed by Scott Pendlebury.

Playing beyond his age and experience, Pendlebury, 20, a 50-game Magpies midfielder, is a vital link in a team often criticised for a lack of output in its engine room.

He will be pivotal tomorrow night when the seventh-placed but in-form Collingwood meet the struggling, sixth-placed Swans at Telstra Dome in a match which will decide much about both teams' finals aspirations.

"He's one of these players where the game stops around him and he sorts it out," Malthouse said. "That's very rare.

"I liken him to a chess player rather than checkers because a chess player has to think three or four moves in front.

"He thinks about these three or four moves while he's in action. That to me makes a very, very talented player."

So impressive was Pendlebury last season, in his first full year of AFL, that he ran second in the Rising Star Award and second in Collingwood's best and fairest.

All of this has an air of unreality given that, from the age of five to 17, Pendlebury's first sporting love was basketball.

Big Rapes for Pendles by MM

Nice find DTM but please mate..........."wraps" is the word you're looking for. "Rapes" is...................not the same.

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:36 pm
Post subject: Re: Scott Pendlebury hoopla nets Malthouse seal of approvaReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing

Classic
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:

Nice find DTM but please mate..........."wraps" is the word you're looking for. "Rapes" is...................not the same.

I guess I was not looking while I was typing

raymond35 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:00 am

Dave got confused due to all the stories about Stephen Milne this week.
nulla 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:28 am

Quote:

Maybe Aker was onto something
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:51 am

I've said a million times, I've not seen someone have so much time with the ball since Bucks. BUT, I have also stipulated, I am not saying he is going to be a Nathan Buckley, but he has as much time to think about it as Bucks.

I like the kid. I think he's going to be a real star of the future. But doesn't take einstein to work that one out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 72 of 135   

Jump to: