Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Club Song

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 3:17 am
Post subject: Club SongReply with quote

I've been wondering lately about our club song.
Relax Alf I don't want to change it.
We seem a bit unsure of the words don't we?

I grew up singing these words on the train home each week.

"Good old Collingwood forever
They know how to play the game
Side by side they stick together to uphold the Magpies name
Hear the barrackers are shouting as all barrackers should
Oh the premiership's a cakewalk for the good old Collingwood."
Now the players and crowd sing
"We know how to play the game"
"Side by side WE stick together"
and this one really has me interested
"{See} the barrackers are shouting"
Can any historians out there clear this up?
By the way Mike, good get on the trivia question!
Do you know this one?
Collingwood's club song (seems to be a bit of a theme with me today doesn't it?)was modelled on a popular song at the turn of the century, what is the song?
Does anyone know where I can get a cd with that song on it????

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 4:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to the theme song I downloaded off the Collingwood Official site,

It says :
"See the barrackers are shouting, as all barrackers should". - each time the song plays (you know how it repeats!)

------------------
CARN THE PIES!!!!!
Collingwood is all about togetherness. "We live or die as a side," Buckley said. "Everything we do now is as a team."
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 9:12 am

It was based on a song called "Dolly Grey". Hence the women's coterie, the Dolly Greys.

I'm never sure whether it's "see" the barrackers or "hear" them. And I like the idea of saying "we know how to play the game" because it helps you to feel like you're a part of the club.

The part I like, which seems to have died out a lot in recent years (and it's not on the official recorded version) is the "Gorblimey!" bit that comes after "to uphold the magpies' name". You still hear a few of us geriatrics singing it, but the kids don't seem to go for it. I guess "Gorblimey" is an expression that belongs to the era when people used to name their kids "Alf". Mind you, I'd rather be an Alf than a Tarkyn any day.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Broadie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 3:55 am

I'm not as youth-challenged as Alf & Magpie Greg, but being a history teacher & history buff, I always thought the saying was "Cor Blimey" - a colloquial expression similar to "bloody oath" or an expression of astonishment.

AS for the DOlly Grey song, it was played on one of the Footy Preview shows on radio last year - I think it was 3AW. It's note-for-note our theme song and was a real treat to hear it.
Fletch 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 4:30 am

I like our theme song heaps but I have to admit Port Adelaide's and Richmond's are better.

[This message has been edited by Fletch (edited 18 April 2000).]

Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 6:45 am

Neil, greetings from sunny Taipei mate, owsitgoin, been outa touch because of work and travel but your and others, posts, reach me each day courtesy of Nick-n-Mike so I still feel like one of the fold.

trivia #1 - I must admit I would have said the Tote hotel. Wasn't it the Tote which featured in Frank Hardy's epic.? (btw a book every pie supporter shld read). Not exactly familiar with the Grace Darling unless it's the one in Smith St that the Dennis Gowing of Kevin Dennis owned.

trivia #2 - Do you or does anyone else, remember "Dolly" Grey, who was captain of the 2's in the mid sixties? He was a tough nut with tatts and crew cut - quite a character.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 9:40 am

Broadie

I suppose it's debatable whether you spell it with a C or a G. The expression is, as you say, used as a general expression of astonishment. But more literally it's a working class corruption of the expression "God bless me!", which fits in neatly with Collingwood's Irish Catholic working class origins.

Pie No Sauce,

There is a hotel on the corner of Johnston St. and Wellington St. called the Tote, which is a popular venue for bands. But it has no connection with the football club. It's name was obviously inspired by the tote referred to in Frank Hardy's novel. But the actual site of the tote, which in real life was run by John Wren in the 1890s and early 1900s, was at 136 Johnston St. roughly across the road from the Bendigo Hotel. There is a very run-down disused shop on the site. I think someone lives upstairs. Whether it's the original building or not, I can't be sure, but it's so old and run-down that it might well be. The shop, called a "tea shop" in the novel, was used as a front for the illegal tote operation. Whenever the police raided, the customers would escape into Sackville Street (called "Bagville Street" in the book). I would agree that Frank Hardy's book, "Power Without Glory" is well worth reading, but remember that it is essentially a work of fiction. If you want something closer to the facts of what actually happened try reading "John Wren: gambler" by Niall Brennan. As for the pub where Colingwood FC was formed, that was definitely the Grace Darling in Smith Street.

Fletch,

I agree about the Richmond song. It's quite intimidating, especially when they all sing "yellow and black". The Port song's got a great chorus but the middle bit is very boring. But I must confess ... I'm going to get crucified for this ... I actually like the ... oh, shit, I'm scared to say this ... I actually like the Carlton song. (mind you, I don't like to hear it at the END of a game)

I think I better go now before someone kills me.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 4:20 am

Thanks Alf.

Keep up the History lessons and Trivia. As I tell my students: the more you know about the past, the more you understand the present and the more direction you have for the future
PieGirl39 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 9:17 am

Alf, (re. LIKING the carlton song) you have gone too far!!!!

(I have to admit I like the Tige's song too but... it's passionate)
2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 9:47 am

Yeah, Pie no sauce, I have to confess I'm old enough to remember Brian "Dolly" Grey (only just old enough, though). Gotta admit I didn't know he captained the twos! He played plenty of senior games - pretty sure he wore No. 4 on his back - with the likes of Murray Weidemann (my first Pie hero), John Henderson, Ken Turner (Jamie's dad), Graeme Fellowes (Wes' dad), Kevin Rose and heaps of other above-average players. I still find it puzzling that we didn't win a flag or two in the sixties.
Arch@M32 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 pm

The song 'Goodbye Dolly Grey' is available on itunes performed for the theatre production 'War Horse'.
A good listen if you want to hear from what our song was derived.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Broadie wrote:
I'm not as youth-challenged as Alf & Magpie Greg, but being a history teacher & history buff, I always thought the saying was "Cor Blimey" - a colloquial expression similar to "bloody oath" or an expression of astonishment.

"Cor blimey" it has been since I was knee high to a grasshopper anyways!!

Nowadays the players sing "Go Blighty". Confused
They've lost me with that one............

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
The Pleasure 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm

So what the hell is "Go Blighty"?

When and why did the players start singing that ffs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: