Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Made the trek to Petrol Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 3:22 am
Post subject: Made the trek to Petrol ParkReply with quote

Made the trek to Petrol Park. Geelong have set the bar low when it comes to celebrating their 140th birthday. A lap of honour by Frank the 96 year old - oldest living player. No disrespect to the bloke but its a category you don't have to achieve much to win - can you imagine in 70 years time when we celebrate our 175th year and they wheel our oldest player around, Jason Wild - those of us still alive will wonder when he will go away. They backed this up by letting Daryl Somers sing the national anthem. No warning when we bought our tickets. Forget the result this was more painful.

As for the game - all going to plan. Good to see Freo sneak another win - hope they can score 2 more. Jaco needs a run in the twos, Fuller should probably be dropped off the list, Tuckey has done nothing to convince me he will be a player. Frankie will go for any of Patto, Orchard, Licuria etc Reckon Kinnear should come in for Tarrant if his ankle doesn't come up.

U/18s - does anyone know of Brad Green - meant to be a gun ruckman from Tassie. Doyle will be taken under father son rule by the Swans. I reckon we go for 2 ruckmen especially if Fraser can play CHF a bit. Rhyce Shaw may not be good enough for a pick 18.Gotta go for talls early in the draft there are always good running players later in the draft. Ben Graham may have been auditioning for his new club on Saturday.

Ideal scenario - Freo 2 more wins
Hawks to beat us this week - takes them past 6 wins.
Pies to thrash Carlton and then Brisbane.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 6:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

agree that jaco should have a spell, as with frankie. bring in orchard to add some bite around the packs working with betho, and licuria to add a bit of toughness and flair (?). they need to do with kinnear what they did with tarrant, bring him on slow, because i reckon they're similiar players with similiar physique. so bring schaubs in this week, because he's found good form in the magoos.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 7:42 am

I'd like to see us get back to the revolving door selection policy - we only have - what, 7 weeks? - to decide who to delist. EG I woulnd't be surprised if big blokes SMith and Gardiner are on the scrutiny list. Esp due to Smith's apparent improvemtn recently we ought to give him another go for at least a couple of weeks.
Also I agree, give these blokes like Jacotine a decent go to get into the game.
Did anyone see the magoos puddy-cat game?
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 12:31 pm

what happens if both freo and us finish with no more than 5 wins? pies get first and third pick, dockers second and fourth, presuming we finish on the bottom and freo second last
eye 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 1:33 pm

I am fascinated by the amount of little players we have to choose from. Judging by some of these responses it seems that some of you guys actually think they are going to be any good. My motto is once s@#t always s@#t. It takes tops 2-3 seasons to see if a player is going to"fit" within your team.(if you could give me an example of someone who doesn't fit this let me know). At the end of 93 we could have done some good trading with what at the time were "quality" premership players. Like in any business sell the product or asset when it's actually worth something. For example whats someone like watson worth now. I'll tell you- A piece of S#@T, and yet we persisted, thinking he was going to come good one day, just like a piece of blue vein cheese. That he ain't.- Bokka, thats right when you say give him a go for another couple of weeks, If our 'trained' eyes can't pick it up by then- they never will. Foxy, I reckon sheaywble has got to go. He might get us something, yes it would be sad to see him go, and yes he actually might do something at another club, but he ain't doing much with us. If he were really any good he'd be playing week in week out in the ones. Poor form is excuseable for the odd occassion, not a few years. Maybe I've understated the concept but if the players take to long to 'prove' themselves you are not going to win to many games, and of course that's assuming that they might come good one day anyway. Orchard, King and Raso should be given the ultimatium at the start of the year. Put on 10-15kg of muscle, have x amount of possessions in x period or your gone. We could probably do better anyway on a trade to a club who falls for the fatal logic of "they'll come good one day". I'd like to see how may second chances a side like West Coast give. I wonder if that has anything to do with where they currently are on the ladder. How may times did we all think that Russell was a champion- goes to a side like Sydney, and is publicly told "he ain't worth the money". We actually could have faired better in a trade if we sold him off a couple of years earlier. Bokka, this is an elaboration on what I believe you term the revolving door selection policy. Trouble is, I wonder if the door is spinning fast enough.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 5:21 pm

we kept watson not because he might've come good but because he was runner up in the copeland and played for victoria in his rookie year. and because he was our second highest scoring non-key forward last year. they'll keep schauble, he just needs a big pre-season and he'll play all next year in the ones.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 1999 11:15 pm

My idea of the ideal revolving door policy:
Every week, *minimum* 4 players promoted from magoos into the final 22 (not just emergencies) - no matter how well the seniors did that week! Seniors then know that 4 of em are going to be dropped.

I'm not suggesting this as the best long-term policy, just for us for the rest of this season. As I said, the main reason is so we can decide who to delist. Definitley *not* for "tanking" purposes - if anything, it will improve our senior performances.

I think we must give Smith another go this week (pleae not as an emergency again!!) - not withstanding his less impressive stats last game (see collingwoodfc.com.au).
Big learning experience for us against the puddys - obvioulsy we paniced and got the jitters, it was a mental/attitude problem.
Fear of failure should be overcome - since it is a self-fulfilling prophesy.
The best game summaries I know of anywhere, are at www.footy.com.au/dags (not to be confused with the age's footy99!!) - even though Mr Murphy is a rampant Tigers supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: