Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Friday's Intra-Club Hitout

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 1999 10:53 am
Post subject: Friday's Intra-Club HitoutReply with quote

Attended Victoria Park at midday for the Intra-club game.
Weather: Overcast but fine; no breeze.
About 70-80 attended. All TV stations had a camera crew in attendance.
The following players took no part in the match but attended wearing red "injury" jumpers:
Lee Walker,Jason Wild,Glen Freeborne,Mal Michael, Shane Watson.(Watto actually acted as boundary umpire for most of the game).
Black Team vs White Team.
Monky rucked for the Whites against Sav for the Blacks.....nil all draw here but Monky had more impact.
The TV crews had been told to follow Olerenshaw to get some "Good Shots" unfortunately for them Ricky had a bad day at the office and was comprehensively thrashed by the no-frills Rupert Betheras.
Anthony Rocca played full back for Whites and was about as good as my old mum there.
His opponent, No 50 I couldn't identify, but he impressed...led to the ball strongly and took a couple of strong overheads under pressure...also kicked well. Had 3 goals to half time.
Brownie was full forward for Whites and played like the 1990 2nd semi. He looks very fit does Browmnie. His opponent was Prestigiacomo...nothing to say there.
Shauble played centre half back against Tuckey...Shaubs doesn't look right yet.
New player Venables(25) is an interesting case;he played centre half back against Mark Richardson who,whilst he took a couple of strong grabs, was held pretty well by Venables who himself took a couple of very impressive pack marks. He's got the look of a young Wayne Carey about him I reckon. I'm looking forward to watching him this year.
Nick Davis will play this year. He played wing today and really impressed when he got the ball...used it well and is classy...very nicely balanced. Buckley played mainly off half back and teamed well with Crossisca.
During the 3rd quarter No7 (couldn't pick him up)took a strong mark in front of the Ryder Stand on centre wing and played on by wheeling to his right(Social club boundary)
and as soon as he did this the skills coach/umpire took the ball off him and gave it to his opponent Tape, with the explanation
"You're a left footer...why would you wheel to your non-preferred side.You should have wheeled to your left into the centre corridor
where your teammates expected it...THINK!!!!"
I just loved hearing that!!
They're a bit jumpy at Pie Park at the moment
Eddie Hilgrove came up to me to ask why I was photographing training with a camcorder and would I please provide identification!
He thought I was maybe from Hawthorn...I explained the tape was for a friend overseas
unfortunately I forgot to put a tape in so he needn't have worried. Neil Balme spoke to the media at the end of the session and basically said that we will be competative provided we are not hit too hard with injury. Feels we have bolstered the mid field running aspect
but the "old timers" present looked sceptical and were muttering that no talls were aquired and that we look very short.
Jacotine is not what I expected. I thought he'd look like another Godden...not so at all.
He's more in the Nicky Winmar mould..a very good even looking physique and puts his body in hard.
Some of the younger guys are really going to have to take a giant stride on today's performance if we are to improve significantly. From what I saw...we've probably improved a little in the running/pace area during the draft, but we still look light and small down the spine and in the back half.
Plenty of little nippy types were running around: Licuria was the best of them by far.
Orchard was handy. Tarkyn Lockyer was spitting the dummy at being dragged but really it's his parents who should be answering the questions. "Tarkyn" for Christ's sake!!!!
"Floreat Pica."

Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 1999 11:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil,
Wonderful report (again) mate, thanks a lot. Had a quick peep at Mikes number list but couldn't spot #50 or #7. #50 sounds like a prospect if he kept pebbles quiet for a whole game. Was Mal Michael really hobbling or does it appear likely he'll recover - I have been shuddering at the possibility of losing this bloke. Also, what about Oborne, did he make an appearance?
Once again, thanks for a very informative report.

Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 1999 2:58 pm

Dear Lawrence(PieNoSauce)
Mal actually put in an appearance.
He appeared at quarter time did some stretches and disappeared again.Wore the red training jumper.
He didn't run laps though.
Oborne played. I got him confused with Lokyer
in first report.
It was actually Oborne who was taken off during the 3rd quarter not Lockyer.
I could be wrong, but he didn't do a lot.
I didn';t notice him anyway.
Davis was the good'n today.
Is the underground running to schedule???
Cheers Neil.

Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 1999 10:06 am

Neil, thanks and yes it is. Also extended out to CLK and Tung Chung.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: