Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Footy Forum shut down by AFL

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of servers (hosts) outside of Australia that are readily available. They completely ignore interference from capitalist’s pigs. Twisted Evil
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:20 am

Johnson#26 wrote:
Very sad, that site is quality.

There can't be any malicious harm in these sites - all people use them for is to talk footy. Confused

I wish you were right mate i really do, such sites are brillaint or originally had a brilliant motive...but i think we've all somewhat moved from what the sites were originally designed for most of these sites have become snakepits for the desperate and or lonely and others who have no concept of consequence and or action.
And football fansites promote such behaviour because no one is made accountable for what they say..unlike some of us Luke even including your goodself people know who we are because we dare to challenge the norm i've allways felt an expression of opinion no matter what the opinion is very much validated by the fact i and yourself luke are prepared to do so under our real names.
I tell ya now luke half the crap that gets posted would cease if people made themselves accountable.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:39 am

Ah Tibor wrote:
In amongst all their farewell messages is the revelation that one poster posted Darren Goldspink's work address on the site...... sounds like that, coupled with the AFL's strong demands, tipped them over the edge.

Have we ever had such legal threats (presuming that post resulted in one being made) made against us?

Bravo Bravo some internet lowlife twat hero posted details of an umpires work place..........oh gee mate why did ja cwose us down.
How pathetic are some people how tough and almighty to reveal such details.
Unbelievable.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:42 am

Goldspinks family have been copping threats etc after a media outlet showed a picture of their home. Once they (morons) worked out where he lived the threats became full on. The family purchased a buisness and have copped more threats since. Terrible stuff, but the media outlet should have known better. There are a minority of morons out there who you need to be wary of.
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:49 pm

There is certainly no anonymity in internet forums from the admin side of things. Unless the poster is particularly crafty and knows how to hide their tracks, you can find out who posted what fairly easily. Even if the IP address is a dynamically allocated one, the ISP can match the IP on the forum's server records (or software) against their own DHCP/RADIUS logs and give you the account details.

I run a large (non football) forum and have frequently had to deal with issues of defamation and fraud (thankfully assisting with enquiries and not defending them). Forums can get to a point where they are simply to big to effectively moderate by a handful of people. A lot of user forums will have to shut down because there is simply no way the admin/mods can protect their liability for the actions of their users. believe me, I understand the difficulties.

I also do media law work (acting for two of the big outlets in TV and print media) and see these sorts of issues coming up. I'm very surprised sites like Big Footy have not been screwed already, or at least those who post on those sites, because the stuff that's said pales in comparison to a lot of stuff that is ferociously litigated over.

It is very important that forum admin know that they can be deemed to be publishing the material other people have posted if they become aware of infringing content and fail to remove it. Administrators can be held liable for defamation or copyright infringement of guests to their website.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:32 pm

Steve wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
Johnson#26 wrote:
Very sad, that site is quality.

There can't be any malicious harm in these sites - all people use them for is to talk footy. Confused

I wish you were right mate i really do, such sites are brillaint or originally had a brilliant motive...but i think we've all somewhat moved from what the sites were originally designed for most of these sites have become snakepits for the desperate and or lonely and others who have no concept of consequence and or action.
And football fansites promote such behaviour because no one is made accountable for what they say..unlike some of us Luke even including your goodself people know who we are because we dare to challenge the norm i've allways felt an expression of opinion no matter what the opinion is very much validated by the fact i and yourself luke are prepared to do so under our real names.
I tell ya now luke half the crap that gets posted would cease if people made themselves accountable.

some of that is wright Joffa but not all, the is a certain amount of safety in anominity for a vast group of younger members of Nick's, not all posters post vile crap and not all should have to have their real name used, you more than most should understand why as you get tageted regularly because they know who you are, a personality conflict between nameless posters is far safer than one between known people, in this day and age it is far to easy to find out where someone lives and works or what skewl they attend with just their name.
I'll agree that far to many use their anominity to post vile crap they would lack the courage to post under their own name, but I spose that is the price we pay for protetecting our younger members, luke for instance cops a fare bit for being young just because he is young and all credit to him for not letting it get to him, but others shouldn't have to cop it too.

One would hope Nick's isn't a "snakepit" but I know there is a vast amount of negative and outright outrageous crap that does get posted, the only way to combat that sort of stuff is to fight the good fight against it, but sadly it wears you down over time, many many members have aurgued the point over the years but have just given up over time as how do you aurgue the point with the frothing lunatics? all we can do is try to produce more of the positives than the negatives and seek out what enjoyment we can from the place.

No probs mate good to exchange opinions with you Smile
I have no problems with people laughing at my opinions infact i find it flattering that at times my opinions do create some kind of humour im not as serious as my postings sometimes are.

It seems strange that on MSN messenger and other associated chat lines people of all ages have no problem disclosing names and ages suberbs blah blah blah but on a football fansite its considered a no go zone...that one puzzles me a bit.

But things have to change because i think your going to find in years to come many fansites will be closed down... the fact is they are getting worse and worse, what was considered taboo yesterday is acceptable today...its actually a bad example for the young ones because it teaches them to say anything at all with out being held accountable.
I admire dave86 and Luke for having the responsibility to behave as young people should and for the attitude ' hey this is what im sayin and this is who i am ' responsible young people all is not lost!

I make a point of reading what these two young men have to say because they dare to sign off under real names...instead of some donald duck collingwood supporter who i might add may not even be a collingwood supporter rubbish this club down to gutter level.
Hope all that makes sense Smile

DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:51 pm

BRING IT ON I SAY!!!

I dont think we need to worry though. It would have more to do with CONTENT of pages rather then whats actually posted if that makes sense.

If players personal details are being put online, then thats why sites get shut down for.

Its never happened here so its no stress!

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:01 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
It seems strange that on MSN messenger and other associated chat lines people of all ages have no problem disclosing names and ages suberbs blah blah blah but on a football fansite its considered a no go zone...that one puzzles me a bit.

It's still an issue, but because it's not in permanent form it's much less of an issue from an enforcement point of view but also the damage it might cause.

Quote:
But things have to change because i think your going to find in years to come many fansites will be closed down... the fact is they are getting worse and worse, what was considered taboo yesterday is acceptable today...its actually a bad example for the young ones because it teaches them to say anything at all with out being held accountable.
I admire dave86 and Luke for having the responsibility to behave as young people should and for the attitude ' hey this is what im sayin and this is who i am ' responsible young people all is not lost!

I agree with you. Times are certainly changing. Now anyone can be their own publisher. Set up a blog, post on an internet forum, write a book and put it online. The whole publishing environment has changed but people's basic obligations haven't.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:10 pm

Cam wrote:
you'd reckon bomberblitz could be in trouble then, and saintsational, they have stacks of banners and sigs etc. humble old us we just have old photos or bizarre weirdo sheet. callin fidgey is there anybody home, callin 3rd degreee are you there on your own..

I reckon a few sites could be in some trouble if the AFL is going to go and do this. Someone at the AFL should be working towards getting fansites up and running and selling the AFL brand as far as they can.

All these sites are heavily moderated and a lot of offensive stuff gets removed, so I couldn't see why the AFL couldn't make a go of sites discussing AFL and in particular the clubs.

Doing this the AFL aren't exactly winning people over.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:37 pm

If the offending content is removed within a reasonable period of time, the actual website or its administrators cannot be held liable. If they are not aware of the content or do not take reasonable care to ensure content is removed without unnecessary delay, then IMO they are fine as far as the law goes.

A heavy-handed approach by the AFL will certainly not win people over. As far as copyright goes, a simple please remove request would be enough, I would have thought. But we don't know the circumstances in this case: the site may have refused a request not to use the AFL copyright material.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 pm

A site I visit was asked in an email from the AFL to remove the AFL logos as they were using this logos as forum markers (much like the AFL does with the sites) now this board is ran on a free forum site.

Why couldn't the AFL have done the same here? This site wasn't shut down, but the Hawks one was?

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:02 pm

OK, what seems to have happened is that the forum admin have made their own decision to remove the forum because they feel it is too hard to keep off offending content - that's their prerogative. Running forums in your own free time can be difficult and time consuming and I understand that completely.

What I'm saying is that in respect of the main page - it is easy to get rid of the offending content; and in respect of the forum - there is no liability in relation to images etc which you, as administrator, are not aware of. It is only once a complaint is raised against you or you otherwise become aware of users posting offending content and you subsequently fail to remove it in a reasonable period of time that you become liable. The AFL cannot sue you, as administrator or moderator, retrospectively for material other people have posted unless you become aware of it or you have inadequate measures in place or take inadequate steps to look for offending content.

You don't need to "pre-moderate" posts in order to escape liability.

for the benefit of this board and other AFL boards, I can post up the relevant provisions of the Broadcast Services Act.

PS...this reinforces why we need major copyright law reform in this country.

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:16 pm

Hooked

Last edited by Dale61 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:27 pm

Bloody Hell, AFL.

Don't they like us saying what we think!

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Please don't take my comments to mean any criticism against this site. I am well aware of the difficulties in the thankless task of forum moderation. I just want to reassure people who run forums that they aren't at the complete mercy of what their users post...so long as action is taken upon becoming aware of the kind of activity that will get them into trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: