Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victoria Park - Your Stories?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tess wrote:
Madman, magpiemad ?..... is the whole magpie world going MAD!!!!!

it's MAD hey!?

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:17 pm

I remember many times in the late 70's and early 80's sleeping under the floggers in the umpires race after a ridiculously late finish to making the run through on a friday night. Vic Park was my second home for a long time. Many times I missed the last train and figured that it wasn't so bad as it was a home game the next day.

-I also remember playing a couple of social games there.
-Training there once with my suburban footy club.
-Having kick to kick with Dennis Banks after training one thursday night. -Also can't forget meeting Jack Thompson during the making of 'The Club' -Seeing stupid people picking fights in the social club on a saturday night with Darren Millane.
-Listening to McAllister tell me he had a written guaratee from the AFL in his vault, that we would play a minimum of seven games at Vic Park forever. Yeah right!
-The most memorable game: the demolition of St.Kilda by 178 points. It rained goals down the Sherrin Stand end.
-Seeing the floggers on fire against Essendon. I think in 1972.
-Kissing the grass in the goal square after the 1990 granny.
-Watching Ricky Barham kick perfect boomerang goals from the boundary at training on each one of his laps.
-Daics playing at home. The best, no question!
-Seeing Robert Muir punch my best mate in the face as he ran off the ground. The game was the one where he flattened Ray Shaw in front of the Social club.
-Hearing that another of my close mates had pushed the umpire over in the centre of the ground after a close loss to Sydney.
-In 1977 being allowed to go the footy at Vic Park by myself for the first time and subsequently having to get there at 10am every game to be able to get one of those precious seats in the outer.
-Last but not least, the 10 or so friends I met there who have turned out to be the most incredible people I could ever meet and who still love the Pies today like I do.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:43 am

Any chance someone can get us some more photos before they start ripping it apart and we loose all oportunity to have a final record of the place?

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=26979

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:51 pm

Bump
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:11 am

I cant quite remember if it was 1992 or 1994 but it was one of the years that the eagles won the flag.

I was over from WA and went to Vic Park to soak it up. (Even though the place was deserted).

I walked on the ground and kicked a footy around for a while with my cousin which for me, living over in WA was pretty special in itself.

Anyhoo after that walked into the Bar for a beer and was served beer and chatted for quite a long time with Gavin Crossica. One hell of a nice bloke. Got the photo taken as you do but just to talk shit and drink beer with Gavin was a bloody hoot.

That for me was great!

paulie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:27 am

God I miss the place so many memories. It is very hard to talk of Viccy Park and not get misted eyed.It just always felt like home to me.You always felt particually as a young child that you were a part of the biggest thing in the world.It was an amazing feeling coming to Victoria Park by train.Getting off buying a record for a decent price in those days.It was all very special.It was always a highlight taking your seat and seeing what was on the Louie the Lip sign for the day about the impending battle.Watching the 2nds play trying to work out if there was an up and coming champion coming through.I remeber thinking gee that big strong Full forward number 13 John Bourke he looks good!!!!! There was nothing better then seeing an exciting debut in the seniors I remeber thinking that Heath Sheppard is going to be a star!! As much as I love going to the g and the Dome these days it's never the same as going home to Victoria Park. Crying or Very sad
pace 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:19 am

-I remember as a kid travelling down to melb from Canberra overnight by bus for 5 to 6 games a year, for many years. Once the old man decided to drive down, and we were quite late getting to the ground, and looking for a car spot everywhere. We pulled up to an attendant to ask where we could park? But before my dad spoke, the attendate said your a player arent you. With out hesitation my dad answered yes. (All 5f 6 of him wearing a sleeveless jumper). the attendant said right this way. Got the best park you could ever hope for. And for one fleeting moment, i actually thought could my dad be playing. Would i be able to wear a badge with his face on it, on my duffle coat. Didnt happen.
-Playing state or teal cup footie on vic park and getting bog with James Hird for ACT against VIC and NT.
Look at him now playing for Essendon (loser) and me now pies supporter (winner)
-Driving down from Syd to watch the 2003 GF on the big screen at vic park, as good if not better than being at the G.

Great moments, Go pies
Gazza05 Capricorn

BRING ON SEASON 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:57 am

I didn't get a chance to see the Pies play at Victoria Park. But I do have a great memory of the place. After the 1990 Grand Final we travelled from the "G" on the train to Victoria Park (the sign at the station had been changed to Victory Park). The trip on the train was magic with everyone celebrating and going off. We got to the ground and mingled around, realised that getting a drink was going to be difficult so we ducked out to a pub and bought two slabs and brought them back and proceeded to drink our share and give the rest away. The players arrived and the place was jumping. Just a great time to be there...Can't remember much of the night after that, other than when I woke up I had written Victoria Park on my Jeans with mud from the ground..
Can't wait till we celebrate again...

Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:40 am

Many, many trips to Vic Park over the years - and my main undying memory is of the absolute virulence of the place. A graveyard for so many opposition teams. Between 1897 and 1999 we won 629 games at VP, losing only 212, a win ratio of 74.65% - unmatched by any other team at their own home grounds.

Standing on (empty!) beer cans in the outer to see the action, negotiating the tsunami of urine pouring from the gents to get in for a leak, screaming at the white maggots and useless opposition supporters, steaming hot pies dribbling down my chin - ah, those were the days.

In 1990 I was managing the famous Grace Darling Hotel in Smith Street and amongst many things relating to the Club, I was invited to attend a special mid-week day at VP where Paul Keating as #1 Ticket Holder gave forth on things Collingwood. All the players were there in their team jackets and there was a palpable feeling among the crowd that this was to be our year - as of course it turned out to be. (I managed to whip away all the Collingwood drink coasters from the official marquee and replace them with Grace Darling ones, a little anarchy that I actually didn't feel guilty about!).

The ghosts of past Collingwood champions always came out to cheer on the Mighty Pies at home games - all of us there knew this - what chance did visiting teams have? Bloody none. So much blood, sweat and (opposition) tears soaked into the VP turf (and change-rooms) over the years that the ground is still a hallowed place for all true Collingwood people, regardless of where we call home now.

keating.gif

MK 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:46 am

I remember as a young teenager circa 1969..travelling to the ground from the bush with a friend and his father...somehow through the mates dads connections we found ourselves in the rooms half an hour before the game..sitting around the pool table ogling the likes of Grrening , Price,Tuddy Mckenna etc... I honestly thought I was in heaven..

Carmans first game at Vic Park...when he ran onto the ground from the race he literally seemed to float across the ground...and absolute genius and champion until his mind went to a different world...

Mc Kenna....16 goals V Essendon when we kicked 30-20-200. The best set shot for goal the game has produced without a doubt in my mind...

Daicos... the best all round goal kicking freak the game has or perhaps ever will produce..some of the goals he kicked had the crowd stunned & gobsmacked..people used to simply look at each other wide eyed..pause..and then uncontrollably laugh....

Tuddy...the toughest player that I can remember..kicked 9 V Footscray when it was revealed that he played much of the last QTR with a broken bone in his leg...

As and 'older' bloke I recently worked opposite the ground in Trennery Cresc for a few years.....and I used to just stare at the ground..it still has me mesmerised after all of these years...

ROCKINROCCA Libra

we are one and we are many

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:51 pm
Post subject: vic pkReply with quote

living in sydney i didnt get to mel as often as i would like ,but i was lucky to see the last two games at vic pk and i too took some dirt home,we wre in mel this year for the geelong smashing and took the time to go down to the park,it has a aura that cant be felt any were else i love all the graffiti around the toilets and walls it is such a special oval each time that we will be down in mel it will be a tradition to go to the pk
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:17 pm

OK, Luke, I found the thread I was referring to elsewhere.

This is a classic thread in its own right.

Any newcomers got a story to tell about Vic Park?

Vic_Park_4EVER 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 am

i used to always go to victoria park to see my cousin play there those where the best moments Very Happy Very Happy
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:13 am

Would love to bump this thread, it happens every year, so I will.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:09 am

Never seen the Pies at Vic Park so Hopefully get some good Memories next season Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11   

Jump to: