Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Pies aren't what they used to be

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Grim Reaper 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You are sounding like a Richmond supporter of the last 20 years.

I bet you we dont reach 13 wins.

To be an improvement we must make the finals consistently and win them like the Kangaroos have done in the last decade.

Until then we are rightfully regarded as the least successful club in the AFL after Fremantle in the last seven years.

That is a fact and nothing that has happened yet has changed it.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee. It was the tuna casserole

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:38 am

It's true. Nothing has changed. I'm STILL a lousy tipster.

No wins in 2001, indeed.

I'll tell you something that HAS changed.

I've enjoyed this season. I absolutely HATED last season.

Now that IS improvement.

**floreat pica**

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:44 am

I think you are both half right.
Grim, to have improved, given where we came from, we omly have WIN GAMES. Our recent record has been unacceptable. We are not Fitzroy or St. Kilda, so we don't accept the performances of recent years. But we HAVE improved as Joel said. We are entitled to pleased with that because there is now huge POTENTIAL.
The point is, though, we havent improved enough because we aint there yet! You are right in that we must improve more and be consistent before we can even consider ourselves to be approaching what we all want.
Personally I will not be happy until we win a premiership. Then I won't be happy until we overtake Essendon and Carlton. Then I want to put daylight between Collingwood and the rest.

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:55 am

just can't be ****ed with the long posts...
ahhhhhhhhh

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:55 am

Grim - Not a Richmond supporter of the last 20 years, a Collingwood supporter of the present.

Being positive promotes confidence, Collingwood must be positive about its future. The fact is WE CAN (I'm not saying we will) win the last 3 games. At the start of the season, we beat Carlton by 8 points (should have won by 40 but they had a good last quarter), against Essendon we led all day only to be beaten in the last quarter (lost by 8 points), and against the Roos we should have won. Against the Roos we led by 15 points in the last quarter. My point - they are all winnable games. Be positive!

JDF

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 13 August 2001).]
ed healey 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:32 pm

I also was around in the 60s.
Attended the 64,66 ,70 grand finals and different to some of you after each of those gf losses I was totally deflated at the waste of another season and being let down again.
But in those days players would come off the ground covered in so much mud and blood their own mothers wouldnt know them and a lot more about courage won the games than skill.
It is a totally different game today.
As Abba sang that song about modern day footy money,money,money it has all changed.
No longer the suburban club ground Punt Rd,Vic Park,Junction Oval,Western oval,windy hill,arden st,fitzroys oval,cant even remember the name of it now,something st oval i think,glenferrie oval are all gone and forgotten.
People went to the footy every saturday never missing a game,the train to geelong once a year was a highlight of how people loved their footy.
But todays teams and fans are different and its a different game and a different league.
No comparisons can be made.
Today and tomorrow are all that matter now,but thanks for the memories to days gone by.
gopies.

Legga 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:49 am

I think Ed has hit the nail on the head. In the 60's & 70's it was suburban football, and you didn't have to worry about salary caps and drafting. The pies were a power because of their previous success, so they virtually bought finals teams. I think our problem has been that some of our recently deposed administrators were around in the 60's & 70's and thought the way things were done back then would suffice for in the 90's.
We are paying for stupid old men, who thought they had the divine right to be on the board, living in the past and running our club that way. We are also paying for the stupidity of the average member who consistantly voted these people on to the board because they once played or because they were a fixture at the club.

I think we need to learn a lesson as members and vote for the most qualified candidate in any election, and not for the former champion or coterie member that has an axe to grind. We blame past administrators and board members for our present troubles, but it was the majority of the members that voted at elections that put these fools in office. We have 2 on the board now, and I think at the first opportunity, we should tell eddie and all the board, and prospective board members that only the BEST will do at Collingwood, so forget the surname, and vote for the people who can take us to the top.

Pete the Pieman 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 5:59 am

The pies aren't what they used ta be.

They used ta be hot and they had meat in 'em and they weren't shaped like bluddy footballs either.

Bring back the old pies, I say!

PTP

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:14 am

Thanks for that ASSASSIN. Your posts made me revisit my pre-season prediction earlier in this thread, from March 2000

quote:

PREDICTIONS:
- Finish 5th - 8th in 2001
- Top 4 for 2002 - 2005, with a flag (not the one Eddie pulled down at VIC PARK and delivered one of his "non-core" promises about the Long March up Hoddle ST to the 'G)

Not far off the mark, really.

Broadie
clokeforever34 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:48 pm

to grim reaper!!

how much do ya want to bet?? lol ill gladly take that bet!!!

clokeforever34 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:55 pm

took the words out of me mouth madness......... lol

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:50 am

All these BLOODY long posts are like JWH......all wind and nothing else.
Christ wakey,wakey hands off snakey.
I have followed the PIES since 1964,been there in the low times and the high times.
We are still currently in the HIGH times.
Grim Reaper,seems to come to us from Bigfooty.com,where it appears all the negatives are around.
I am a PIES supporter and always will be a supporter,so Grim Reaper,GO BITE YOUR ARSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
WhiteLine 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:55 am

I just wanted to say that I am a complete tosser because I just love them TIGERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

and I'm looking forward to giving myself an orgasm watching Richo TONIGHT!!!

**Cos we're from Tiger ... yellow and crap ... we're from Tigerland**

[This message has been edited by Dr Alf Andrews (edited 19 July 2002).]

Miz 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:57 am

The game has changed dramatically from the days when we were a permanent force.
Carlton was the same and it was only a few years ago that they achieved their first wooden spoon - something that they would never have thought possible 20 years ago.

The AFL draft system and salary cap regulations are the biggest changes.
In years gone by the larger clubs like Collingwood and Carlton could buy premierships but that is so much harder now.

If you look at the English Premier league where they still have a fairly open system Chelsea last year bought the title by going out and spending millions on players, you cant do it in our game anymore.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:48 am

Great reading Magpie Greg,
On hindsight it is easy to see the mistakes the club or individuals represting the club have made. Living here in Europe I stilll have not seen tonights effort, which no doubt has shattered any hope we may have had to reach the finals. As suppoters we cant do nothing else but look at our side in the perspective of improving it for the coming years. Lets look at the excitement some of our young brigade has brought to us in the last one and a half months. these kids are young. No matter what will be decided about Mick, the coaching team seem to me as they are doing the good with them. The future to me looks bright.
On tonight's game it is frustrating we seem to cop Brisbane always on a high and when our team is missing important cogs. Aker and Browny were kept relatively quiet but collectively they massacred us!! Trusting our recent luck we loose 3 youngsters!!!
I hope in the 7 games we have left that MM keeps developing the young brigade as it's our only way to get up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: