Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The greatest individual performance

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chalky 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely John Greening at Princes Park. I was 12 yrs old and mum let me go to the footy on my own. From that day on I always wore 22 whenever I played footy. I played for 25 more yrs, for many different clubs and still had 22. His inspiring efforts, the roar of the Collingwood faithful around me, on their turf. Man what a day!!
Next best - Lica vs Port. His efforts were absolutely awesome. I wasn't there but the TV clearly showed the desperation and determination on his face as he ran himself into the ground, urging the others to lift!
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:45 pm

ray fidge wrote:
- it should be noted that when BT kicked those 6 in the first quarter, as good as he was, i believe he was playing on Scott Clayton who had no idea what he was doing at full back.
I'm sure it was Peter McKormack. I remember being in the pocket watching on and feeling sorry for him. Maybe Clayton was moved onto BT after he destroyed McKormack?
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:34 pm

Yeh - Lica vs Port was a good one. Tarrant's goal after the siren vs Adelaide stands out in the memory too - the only time a Collingwood player has kicked a goal after the siren to win a match !! Even though he's no longer with us, McGough's Anzac Day performance in 2002 was a good one also. MM really should have played him in the GF...........
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Yep I agree with you on that one Molloy looked very injured and out of place. McGough would have relished those hard contests around the grounds.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:51 pm

Yep 3rd Degree - might have troubled the stats guy too !!

Ahem Leon...........

I'm never gonna watch a replay of that until I can watch a GF win (Not 1990) straight after !!

raymond35 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:05 pm

MarkT wrote:
ray fidge wrote:
- it should be noted that when BT kicked those 6 in the first quarter, as good as he was, i believe he was playing on Scott Clayton who had no idea what he was doing at full back.
I'm sure it was Peter McKormack. I remember being in the pocket watching on and feeling sorry for him. Maybe Clayton was moved onto BT after he destroyed McKormack?

You could be right there. I think i'm getting 2 Collingwood-Fitzroy games in successive years at Victoria park mixed up. I stood in the exact same spot at both games, which makes it a bit harder too.

That game where James Manson starred at Victoria park and the "Charlie" chant was coming from the Rush Stand was magic.

stanmagro Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:30 pm

'Was it Peter Moores stupendous Elimination Final performance demolishing Gary Dempsey in a BOG display in 1980?'

Dewdster, for some reason I think that stupendous performance was the 1979 Prelim Final out at VFL Park.
Was it when Peter Moore and Gary Dempsey kept holding each other at the centre bounces and cause of that the VFL introduced the line across the middle of the centre circle?

I do remember the Elimination Final of 1980, when Ian Lowe kicked 2 crucial goals in the last qtr to enable the Pies to win, I think it was by about 11 points.
We then went on to thrash Carlton in the first semi by 50 odd points and beat Geelong by about a kick in the 1980 Prelim when they were red hot favourites to beat us.
We were the first team from 5th place to make the GF.
I won't mention the GF, Hafey destroyed them in an 2 hour session on the Thursday before the GF.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:41 pm

How about Ricky Barham's 5 goal debut on the wing against Hawthorn at $12million dollar debt park in 1977? I think 3 were bananas. After that game people started believing the Hafey magic was real.

Heaps of games by Daics. The only player who made all of my mates and I laugh with his brilliance. Sometimes he was so amazing we were in hysterics (and shock). A class above everyone else on the ground till the end of his career. For pure entertainment value, his goal in the 90 qualifiying final against the Eagles was like an unforgettable orgasm. No, its not an exaggeration!

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:16 pm
Post subject: Best EverReply with quote

I was at Moorabin to see Carman turn it on that day; a performance never to be forgotten. I have always rated it as the single most brilliant performance by ANY player, Collingwood or not. It is, I think, one of the greatest wastes of talents, the Phil Carman story. He never really showed the football world of what he was capable, except on that Saturday at Moorabin.
Perhaps the one performance before that was Collingwood's third quarter against Carlton at Princes Park in (I think) 1969.
It was a 12 goal quarter with Greening starring and with my brother and I sitting in the Carlton stand behind the goals. How we got out alive still baffles me, because we really gave it to 'em that afternoon. That quarter had everything, including REAL fistfights; Nicholls was given a beauty that day as was that Carlton thug, Vin Waite.
Those two Saturdays have never been beaten; for me, as a teenager then, those performances promised so much. Growing up a Magpie in the 60s and 70s was a real treat. Ok we never won a GF, but the team was always in the top 4 and always won the great majority of its games. We got great value for 20 years. I have to admire the young supporters these days though. Their Collingwood loses more than it wins, looks as far away as ever to winning a flag and yet they still turn up in their thousands week after week.
Watching from afar as I do now, the Collingwood roar still gaves me the shakes and I can only think how club administrators from Richmond, Melbourne, Footscray, North Melbourne etc etc, must wish their supporter base had but a fraction of the Collingwood Army's passion and pride.
Keep it up kids!

YouthPolicy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:17 pm

Easily Carman at Moorabin
cooldewd Sagittarius

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:05 am

stanmagro wrote:
'Was it Peter Moores stupendous Elimination Final performance demolishing Gary Dempsey in a BOG display in 1980?'

Dewdster, for some reason I think that stupendous performance was the 1979 Prelim Final out at VFL Park.
Was it when Peter Moore and Gary Dempsey kept holding each other at the centre bounces and cause of that the VFL introduced the line across the middle of the centre circle?

That was the game that got the centre line introduced, but no, Moore did nothing of note that day except wrestle Dempsey down at the centre bounces.

In the 1980 Elimination final, Moore took about 16 marks and had nearly 30 possessions.

Through my child eyes at the time, I was in awe.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:03 am

Great reading MG jealous anyone who was there!

www.facebook/the hybernators
raymond35 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:48 pm

Hmmm. Forward pocket Jeff Pitts. 4 games for Collingwood.
Do you remember anything about him Greg or Neil?

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:28 pm

Licca's 2002 QF effort is right up there.

Complete underdogs. Playing them on their home turf. No Buckley.

Superb, gutsy display.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:40 pm

For me, a lot of it has to do with doing it on a big stage, or when it really counts.

From a Collingwood Point of View, Licca's 40 touches against Port was outstanding. Pressure cooker situation where we had not been in the finals for years and with Licca having to carry the burden of not having Bucks next to him! Did it when it counted the most!

From an AFL point of view, Ablett's 9 goals in a Grand Final. Almost single handed won the game for Geelong and with another 2 minutes, he probably would have. Did it on the biggest stage of all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: