Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NFL 2019 and Super Bowl LIV

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been steering clear of this thread for obvious reasons all season, but a repeat of SB l in the 100th season would be special.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:57 pm

I am trying to guess those "obvious reasons". My first guess would be that it looked like your team would do very badly, or your arch-enemy team very well... but that would suggest that things have taken a sudden turn for good. Do you loathe the Ravens or Seahawks, for example?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:12 pm

YFE is a Packers' shareholder. I think he's the only NFL owner who posts on Nick's.

Go Pack, go.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 pm

In some sad news, the great Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly has announced his retirement from the NFL. He’s only 28, is a 7-time pro bowler and a former NFL defensive player of the year. He’s missed about 10 games with concussion over his career, so it may be doctor’s orders. Anyway, it’s sad to see him pack it in. An absolute star and a genuine ornament to the game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:37 am

The Chiefs started slowly this morning, trailing 10:0, early. Then, three TDS in a whisker over 15 minutes and the Titans go in at halftime chasing the Chiefs 17:21. Mahomes just ran for an amazing TD (broke two tackles that would have been for a loss, sped down the sideline - without stepping out - and then beat about 5 “Here’s our chance to kill the QB” tackles and reached over the line for the lead-changing TD).

The Titans just gave up their first TD in the last two minutes of the first half all season. In worse news for them, Mahomes will have first use of the ball in the 2nd half. You’ve got to think the Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am

So, the Chiefs lead 35:24 and are getting the ball back in the V formation. They will break their 50 year Super Bowl drought.

Mahomes is phenomenal.

Thinking about the opponent from the NFC, I don’t really think the Chiefs can be beaten by a great defense (as they were by the Patriots last year) - Mahomes has developed too well since then. So, here’s the thing: I don’t think Green Bay will beat them but at least the Pack has a QB who could, whereas I don’t think the 49ers can because Mahomes will score 3 or 4 times and the 49ers cannot (in my view) keep up that pace against the Chiefs’ defense. Not being biased about that, I just think that a Hall of Fame QB in peak form will be required to take the Chiefs down. Time will tell.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am

Well, we’d all better hope I’m wrong about the 49ers’ capacity to challenge the Chiefs - because they’re pulverising Green Bay just before halftime (20:0).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 pm

And now it’s 27:0 early in the third. Green Bay are embarrassing themselves.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:46 pm

San Francisco won 37:20.

Rodgers completed 31/39 for 326 yards and 2 TDS but with two interceptions. The 49ers passed for 77 yards. They didn’t need to throw it, though - the game was won with their 285 rushing yards - Mostert ran for 220 of that and 4 TDs by himself. If he can bring that form in a fortnight against the Chiefs, the 49ers might trouble them. Aaron Jones tried hard for the Pack - they could only give it to him to run 12 times the because they were so hopelessly far behind: he averaged better than 5 yards per carry, ran a TD in and caught a TD as well, for 83 all-purpose yards. Adams was good in the second half with 138 receiving yards but Green Bay was never in the hunt.

Still, credit to the coaching staff - the Pack only had two offensive weapons for Rodgers to use (Adams and Jones), so at least they had the skill to make an engine out of spare parts - also, they know where the skill-position holes are for the offensive recruiting.

I think the fabulously expensive Jimmy Graham experiment is at an end and the front office now knows they need a better offensive and defensive line.

Anyway, 2 of the best three teams all year have made it to the big game. The 49ers deserved to be NFC Champions and the Chiefs were probably the second best team in the competition, behind the Ravens - but the Ravens slipping up has given them a shot at the title.

I don’t know, now, who to pick to win it all. I can see reasons why both sides can get it done. You’ve probably got to go with the team with the outstanding QB - and that’s the Chiefs - but if Bosa can get through to Mahomes the way he got through to pressure Rodgers today, anything could happen. Also, looking at the 49ers’ ridiculous numbers on the rush yardage today, it’s worth bearing in mind that the Chiefs often struggle against the run (they didn’t today, though - they came up against the hottest rusher in football and reined him in after a fast start, so they’ve obviously been working on that weakness, too).
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:16 pm

I knew I should have kept the lid on last week.

It's all my fault.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm

So, the Super Bowl will be played on Monday, 3 February 2020 at 10.30 am, AEDST. it will be the 49ers versus the Chiefs.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Eli Manning has announced his retirement after a 16 year career with the Giants, two Super Bowl rings (both won as rank outsider against the Pats - 2007 and 2011) and two Super Bowl MVPs.

Just imagine having a career like that and not even being the best player at your position in your own immediate family. I don’t think anyone seriously doubts that his brother Peyton was by far the better QB. Also, people often speak highly of his father, Archie - but I didn’t see Archie play, so I don’t have a view about third place in the Manning gallery.

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting for No. 4 to announce his intentions for 2020 - never say never.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm

Yarra Falls End wrote:
I knew I should have kept the lid on last week.

It's all my fault.

I think when we're trailing 27:0 in a Championship game, we should look for causes a little closer to the team than superstitions about you getting ahead of yourself, YFE. Much as I'd like to blame you Wink , I think the inability to stop the run destroyed us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKZDNbQCDU
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Fan expectation may not be a problem for the Packers... but it is a big problem for Collingwood FC.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:34 am

The Pro Bowl is played tomorrow at 6am, AEDT.

It's always hilarious to see the competition's best backs not tackle or sack anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: