Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nearest the pin for Dad's Army players in 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
I wouldn’t think any of those senior senior players are any under false illusions about where they “ should “ fit in the scheme of things.
I think they are there more for healthy competition for spots than anything else. If Kelly steps up, that lessens Reid’s chance of a recall even further.
If Kelly doesn’t take his chance, then we have a senior player ready to go ( if Reid isn’t injured )
Quaynor, T Brown, Murphy and maybe Bianco and Rantall are all in the same boat. You want healthy competition internally to push players to be their best.
It’s all part of the delicate balance that is list management. It’s not like Reid, Dunn, Varcoe etc can’t play, it’s more that we would be in better shape if they weren’t required.

yeah it's just that Reid, Varcoe, Dunn and don't play that often!

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

^Varcoe played 36 senior games in the last 2 years, and 83 in the last 5. So in his time at the Pies he averages 17-18 a season. In those 5 years he only played less than 16 games once (2017)

He plays more often than not in other words. 72% of all possible senior games, to be precise

Dunn played 62%

Reid on the other hand has been a basketcase since 2014 at less than 40% - how that justifies a 14th season I'll never understand

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^Varcoe played 36 senior games in the last 2 years, and 83 in the last 5. So in his time at the Pies he averages 17-18 a season. In those 5 years he only played less than 16 games once (2017)

He plays more often than not in other words. 72% of all possible senior games, to be precise

Dunn played 62%

Reid on the other hand has been a basketcase since 2014 at less than 40% - how that justifies a 14th season I'll never understand

Am sure your Dunn stats must include games at Melbourne as he has missed 18 months out of 3 seasons with us.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:05 pm

You're partially right, he's only played 43% of possible AFL games for us

Varcoe shouldn't be put in the same category as Reid and Dunn though

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Varcoe's injury is just unlucky.

When Reid gets injured (and he will), it's bad list management.

We should have said farewell to Reid last year. I would rather an indigenous rookie player on the list.

Jpies 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:43 pm

I have no concern with the decisions to keep any of these players on our list.

Varcoe - No one could have predicted his injury. His performance last season was down from his historical highs, but players have a bad season here and there. Even with a drop off in form, he can play a role in a good side, and sets a very solid benchmark for younger players trying to win his spot in the side.

Greenwood - Similar. If I recall correctly, his contract was extended before his ACL. If that's correct, it was a no-brainer. He had one of his best seasons with us in 2019. Just bad lack to injure himself in finals.

Reid - Yep, can probably only play half the matches each season. But we all saw how badly our structure suffers when Cox is injured. Having Reid on the list as insurance, even if he is only available for say 14 games a year, is worthwhile. He won't be taking up much salary cap.

Dunn - Similar. There's no one banging down the door for key defender spot. If Roughead or Moore (somewhat likely, based on history) miss games, then we need someone to play that role. I'm sure we all recall Madgen etc. pinch hitting as key defenders. Good effort, but it wasn't pretty. Again, will be playing for peanuts.

Maybe we would omit these guys for youth if we were rebuilding. But we're not. We're a genuine chance for a flag in 2020. Go pies!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Jpies wrote:
Reid - Yep, can probably only play half the matches each season... Having Reid on the list as insurance, even if he is only available for say 14 games a year, is worthwhile

“Only” 14 games?? He’s turning 31 and averaging 9 games a year over the last 6 seasons

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:59 pm

DP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: